• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The big Northern?

I have received the same series of pics about 4 times by email of the giant northern that is holding the smaller one in it's jaws. Was there ever a conclusion on where the fish was caught and how much it weighed?

(If this is somewhere in the archives of this board I apologize, I've been a member of FM for some time but this is my first day on the northern board.)

Steve

I know the one you are talking about. Based on the length of the leader compared to what most people would use, it's about a 20" fish in the mouth of a fish that would probably go in the low to mid 40's. It could happen just about anywhere, particularly in the BWCA or Canada.

I don't think photoshop was involved, just some good camerawork to make a decent sized fish look like a world record.

There are plenty of pics on the internet of way bigger pike though(sadly most are from many years ago when they were all killed off)

Quote:
supposedly the same fish.

I don't think it was the same fish, the big one holding onto a smaller one, that day was sunny and nice out...the other one with the guy holding a huge one in the boat was cloudy and looked like sh!tty weather.

as of where it was, many different lakes, cities, country were named... I don't know which one is right.

The truth of the matter is that this is not a record Northern Pike, although it is huge--coming in at 54". The monster pike was caught in Holland and was written up in an article in Esox Angler Magazine by noted Dutch pike authority Jan Eggers.

Now the other pike that is oftetn bundle wrapped with Eggers pike is just a photo of a very common occurrence. I have seen big Red Lakers nip at crappies, walleyes and other pike when we are fighting fish. That’s how mother nature works big fish eats little fish and gets real excited when little fish thrashes like it’s a dying easy meal. No big deal.

To be completely honest I am pretty tired of seeing those stupid pics, in fact when I sit here and listen to the hardrive grind away with an email coming in I think “Someone sent the pike pics full resolution” So I wait for it to download then delete it it again, about as bad as a virus.

Did anyone see the 15' sturgeon from the Rainy R? grin

Big fish eating smaller fish being brought to the boat does happen all the time as JP mentioned, but I still vote photoshop on that pic.

That pic was from the boundary waters, right? wink

no the same fish. look at the gill plate of the big one and of the one of the smaller one in its mouth. 2 very different fish

the fish was caught in europe. not in the US. they had the real story in the infisherman a few months ago

the shape and pattern of the giant pike makes it a euro pike obviously

the one with the smaller one in its mouth may be an american pike.

oh i see. i dont beleive that is photoshopped either. i have had an experience like that. the bigger pike was only 32" caught it shortly after releasing the smaller pike. the smaller one was only 18

which makes that pic very possible.

and the contrast of the 2 fish and the shine on the water watch perfectly. if it was photoshoped the person would have to be very good to even make the picture look real

Everybody with an e-mail address has seen these photos. It is like a bad virus! I had a co-worker send them to me again on Friday. It must be 3-4 years of this now. Anyway, Jonny P has the correct story.

i almost lost my hand up in canada. hooked into about a 13" walleye, got it to the surface and as i was reaching down to grab it out of the water a big northern (40 ish) came out of the depths and grabbed it. shocked i was able to fight it for about 30 seconds and almost got it in the net until it broke the line. cry it was pretty amazing to see that big northern grab that walleye about a foot away from my hand, makes for a great memory. smile

Everybody with an e-mail address has seen these photos. It is like a bad virus! I had a co-worker send them to me again on Friday. It must be 3-4 years of this now.

Yes it has grown old. I believe this is the fourth or fifth time this has made the rounds on the froums that I moderate.

it was caught in canada

nope. the emails all lie. it was in holland/germany, or some other european or eurasian country. look it up. there was in article in the in fisherman. and an email from NAFC. explaining the real story of the fish and where it was caught

Originally Posted By: eyes05
it was caught in canada

nope. the emails all lie. it was in holland/germany, or some other european or eurasian country. look it up. there was in article in the in fisherman. and an email from NAFC. explaining the real story of the fish and where it was caught

no need to look up anything. just read Jonny's post about 11 up. That's the story, the whole story and nothing but the story.