• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

vexilar for open water?

hbomb49

I use mine for fishing trout in deep water when they can be anywhere in the water column. Not sure how well it'll work when under power, but I'm sure you'll find many uses for it.

if you have a boat with an exposed aluminum floor you can also just set the transducer on the floor and it will pick up the bottom but it will be tough to target fish. This is better then having the cord hang over the side while you are moving around trying to find a certain depth.

I have one on my boat and I love it!! I have the high speed transducer.. it's easy to find the weedlines and when your still fishing you can use it vertically as u would when your Ice fishing.. I mounted the trasducer on the back side I normally fish off...

Mine is on the bow hooked into a universal sonar with my Minn Kota. Works great. Would not change it out for anything. If I did anything I would add an lcd to the front, but I would still use the Vex.

Do they make a mount for the boat that you can put your transducer in?? Or did you have to make your own??? I have used my vex in the summer but only on a small boat and in calm water. I just hung it over the edge of the boat and used it that way. It worked great for depth and fish but I know when I moved the boat it went wacky. It would be great if they made a boat attachment that held it in place when the boat was in motion.

I have been running a Vex on my boats for 25 years or more. Started with the Hi-Speed ducers and graduated up to the Aluma-Ducer and shoot through the hull systems. We also use them on the bow via a universal sonar adapter with my Minn Kota.

The nice part is the kit will only run you $79.99 for most basic installations and all mounting hardware, the Alumaducer TK-Kit will run higher but preforms best on an aluminum hull when shooting through the hull. On most glass hulls a round trolling motor puck style secured with the ACE acoustic epoxy supplied in the TK-Kit will provide a solid clean signal at all speeds and depths.

Other valuable options one can utilize is a splitter to run 2 Vex's on 1 ducer, or 2 ducers in separate locations to one Vex. Simply flip the switch to make the change, very handy for many precision fishing situations.

As a river guy, I will not be without my Vex, it's indispensable in it's performance and reliability. I look at the $$$$ graph mounted next to my Vex...and then check the readings to my Vex to be sure the graphs readings are reliable...the Vex never lies to ya..never.

A $79.99 Vexilar TK-Kit's will put your Vex to use year around, a very solid investment and money well spent.

I find the FL-12 and FL-20's especially boat friendly with the flat display. The FL-20's Night/Day mode is very eye friendly for nigh fishing. The LP mode in both units is indispensable for most shallow water fishing and for clutter filled waters such as on rivers. Yet any Vexilar will perform well on open water when well rigged for the application.

I have been running an fl-18 on my bow trollin motor for awhile. And would never change to a lcd graph. If your trolling motor has a trancducer built in the connection is easy. I did use the one with the clamb to mount to the motor and it worked well. As far as 9-19. I think they only make the 12 for the motor mount.

Minn Kota US1 used a 14 degree cone.

US2 is a dual beam transducer, but Vexilar only uses 200 kHz so it uses a 20 beam. (Many LCDs have the option of switching the sonar over to 83 kHz and using the 60 degree cone on the US2 ducer.)

Question -

If the trolling motor has a universal transducer built-in, and you had both an LCD unit and a Vex mounted in the bow, could you toggle between the two units by simply unplugging the cord from one and plugging it into the other?

Or, do you need to have the Vex's ducer and cord up there as well?

Thanks!

There are 9, 12 and 19 degree pucks available, if you contact Vex directly they can rig up a duel too. You can also use a Hi Speed mount and ducer on a trolling motor, some prefer it over pucks.

When using the Minn Kota US 1 or US 2 system, your stuck with 20 deg 200 KHZ, and that is a good option on average for bow mount ducer rigs.