• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where to go: MN Walleye Trip Late July/Early Aug?

For my dad's 65th birthday this year, the sons and son-in-laws want to find a good long weekend lake/resort to take him for some good walleye action with some bonus smallmouth bass if possible. Normally we head to Rainy for a houseboat trip but can't this year. Where would you recommend heading?

We'd like to focus on jigging/lindying and avoid downrigging or open water trolling. Thanks for your input.

the best bite i've found that time of the year is winnie

i live 5 mins from gull and 35 from mille lacs and bout 90 from winnie always seems the furtherest is the best lol

but i do have a rv up there and winnie is the most consistent lake i've ever fished for walleyes i cant speak for leech dont have to much time there but the other 3 you have way better chance of catching a meal or or 2 on winnie than the other 2

specially mille lacs going to be a slower bite and then probably a lot of fish to big winnie has a slot to but there are good numbers of eating fish there way better balance

Once the fish come in shallow to feed on young of the year perch, Winnie is tough to beat. Usually occurs in that time frame/period. Nothing like starting at Tamarack Point and trolling to Musky Bay with plugs. It will keep you BUSY!

Its hard to beat Rainy Lake in July fishing the deep reefs. Last year it was far better than Mille lacs, we had a number of 50-75 fish days. Sounds like you have been there before. You could stay at one of the resorts instead of a house boat.

I agree with Captain Blaine, if a Rainy Lake houseboat trip isn't in store for you, how about still fishing Rainy Lake anyway? Or Kabetogema, or anything else in the VNP, should be very similar to the way you fished on Rainy. Lake Vermilion is another option that I like for jigging and rigging.

mille lacs is preatty good that time of year but trolling cranks or bobber fishing at night seems to work best for me. lac qui parle could be good this year and esppically during that time.

First, welcome to the site. I might suggest trying the Pelican Rapids area. Lida has been a great walleye and smallmouth lake, although it has a slot on the walleyes. There are several lakes within minutes that have both, Lizzie and Crystal to name a couple. I just thought you might like options on lakes smaller than the Big Six. It may be easier to learn spots on less water.

Rainy sure is hard to beat I'll have to admit.. but that is the best time or year on Vermilion also. Most of us are strictly rigging that time of year and catching good numbers of fish. Best part about Vermilion is you get the same great senery without the big water.. and you'll save a couple hours on your drive depending on where you are coming from.

its very hard to beat camping on an island on rainy lake. not only is that lake very scenic, but how do you beat waking up in the morning and looking out of your tent across one of the best fisheries in the world, with the boat 30 feet from ya!!

Best time of year for Lake of the woods. Walleyes are on tha reefs the jig bite is awsome. The shallow rubble will also be holding walleyes and smallies the north end in minnesota is good and for lots of options you can do the Canadian water also. My favorite time of year the charters are downrigging and the rocks are wide open.