• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flathead Catfish Photo Gallery

HotPocket

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From earlier today on Pool 4. Should be good enough for temporary first place in KOTC! And, yes it was caught in the mouth, on a river jig and minnow, gave a darn good fight too on walleye gear.

SD530204.jpg

30" x 16"

P1010488.jpg

Caught a much bigger one but the girlfriend doesn't know how to land a fish and the line snapped.

I remember a line I once heard let me see if I get it right " excuses are like as*holes and everyone has one " J/K I feel your pain my friend. I would have a heart attack if my messed something like that up.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
I'll probably just throw my 30 lb on the first spool and see how it works. It casted great on my older Quantum Snapshot that is a lot smaller. If it doesn't work out I'll swap to braid or some smaller mono.

This rod and reel combo WAS going to be for Carp and Channels only but I am really diggin' this combo and may be using it for Flatheads nightly.

Break down your 1st/2nd sentence; dont skimp on line, bud. Dont kick yourself to-the-grave losing a-fish-of-a-lifetime because that just might be your next bite. The river can be a body of water that stresses line to its limits; let alone what a flathead surge can do to it current. The advice given on this site is truely good considering the fellows here "have been there, done that" abusing lines, and fighting fish. Dont skimp on line. I'd rather have have cheap rod/premium line than the exact opposite....no regrets smile.

whistle

You guys are too funny! Actually my Abu Garcia doesn't have enough line on it right now and that's usually my Flathead reel so I used my "channel combo" tonight and it only has 20 lb Berkely Big Game. Honestly I did not expect to have so much Flathead action tonight so I didn't think too much of it.

I have a brand new 150 yard spool of 80 lb PowerPro that I'm putting on ASAP.

Nice one, looks like he got hert bad some time in hes life.

Yeah, he had a messed up tail section for sure. We weren't sure how it would show up in the photos, but it appeared to show up just fine. Funny thing about it though, there wasn't any scar showing an old injury, just the deformation of the soft tissue.

From earlier today on Pool 4. Should be good enough for temporary first place in KOTC! And, yes it was caught in the mouth, on a river jig and minnow, gave a darn good fight too on walleye gear.

SD530204.jpg

Nice fish. Fun stuff.