• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northwest Iowa Fishing Reports

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Fishing has been slow because of recent cool weather but will pick up when there is a warm sunny day. Water at the sloughs and shallow rock bars will warm quickly which will attract fish.

East Okoboji Lake (Dickinson): Fish for bluegills at the trestle using a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm below a small bobber.

Five Island Lake (Palo Alto): Walleyes are being caught using a jig and minnow, twister-tail or minnow style crankbait after sunset.

Lost Island Lake (Palo Alto): Walleyes are being caught using a jig and minnow, twister-tail or minnow style crankbait after sunset.

Silver Lake (Dickinson): Walleyes are being caught using a jig and minnow, twister-tail or minnow style crankbait after sunset along shorelines.

Spirit Lake (Dickinson): Yellow perch are biting on jigging lures tipped with live bait, or using a slip bobber and minnow, at Buffalo Run, Hales Slough or the footbridge. Crappies are biting on a small jig or minnows under a small slip bobber at Buffalo Run, Templar Lagoon, the Grade, or the weed beds in Angler’s Bay near Trickles Slough. Smallmouth bass are being caught on blade baits and jerk baits twitched slowly over rock bars on calm sunny days.

West Fork of Des Moines River (Emmet): Use a jig and minnow or twister tail in the holes below riffles for walleyes.

West Okoboji Lake (Dickinson): Bluegills are biting on a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm under a small bobber at Triboji or in the canals. Crappies are being caught with small jigs under a small bobber in the canals.

Clear Lake (Cerro Gordo): Water temperature is running in the upper 30s. Fishing success should improve as the temperature continues to rise. A few small walleyes and some panfish are being caught fishing at the grade. Walleye brood stock collection will likely start today or Friday.

Storm Lake (Buena Vista): Water temperature is in the low to middle 40s. Some male walleyes are being caught along shore with twisters. Catfish are biting well on shad guts. Netting operations for walleye brood stock began Wednesday night.

Brushy Creek Lake (Webster): Lake water level is normal. The spillway flow is normal for springtime. There have been only a few boats on the water.

Im glad that you finally are feeling well enough to get out and do some fishing esox... What a gorgeous day to be out.

You are looking good with that fish in your hands too...

We will have to get together sometime soon and do some fishing...

Northwest

East Okoboji Lake (Dickinson): Bluegills are being caught by fishing with a small ice jig tipped with live bait at the trestle, Hwy. 9 Bridge, and along the fishing pier at East Okoboji Slough.

Five Island Lake (Palo Alto): Walleyes are biting on a jig and minnow, twister-tail, or minnow style crankbaits after sunset.

Lost Island Lake (Palo Alto): Walleyes are biting on a jig and minnow, twister-tail, or small crankbaits after sunset.

Silver Lake (Dickinson): Walleyes are being caught on a jig and minnow, twister-tail, or small crankbaits after sunset along shorelines.

Spirit Lake (Dickinson): Yellow perch are biting on jigging lures tipped with live bait and vertical jig, or a slip bobber and minnow at Buffalo Run, Hales Slough, or the footbridge. Crappies are being caught on a small jig or minnow under a small slip bobber at Buffalo Run, Templar Lagoon, the North Grade, or along weed beds in Angler’s Bay near Trickles Slough. Smallmouth bass are hitting blade baits and jerk baits slowly twitched over rock bars at Little and Big Stoney points. White bass are biting on small jigs tipped with minnows or a minnow and bobber on the lake side of the road.

West Fork of Des Moines River (Emmet): Walleyes are hitting on a jig and minnow or twister tail fished in holes below riffles.

West Okoboji Lake (Dickinson): Bluegills are being caught on a small ice jig tipped with a wax worm under a small bobber at Triboji.

Clear Lake (Cerro Gordo): Water temperature is in the middle 40s. A few small walleyes are being caught fishing at the grade and the outlet. Crappie fishing has been good in the canals. Musky fishing is fair most fish are caught incidentally while fishing for something else.

Storm Lake (Buena Vista): Walleye gill netting operations are done. Walleye are still being caught in early morning and late evening. Males have moved out from shore a little but can still be caught on twisters by wade-in anglers. Remember that Storm Lake has a 17-22 inch slot limit. All walleye in that range must be released.

Black Hawk Lake (Sac): Fishing is good for 8 to 9-inch bullheads at the inlet area on night crawlers. Catfishing is good on shad entrails on the windy shorelines.

Brushy Creek Lake (Webster): Park staff has put in docks at the west and south ramps. Fishing on the lake is very slow.

If you had taken your picture with a bullhead we would call you HandleBar from now on. But I dont have any nicknames for bass. Glad that you are feeling better, it stinks to be sick. Maybe now you wont be on the list of top posters everyday, lol. Good Luck with getting out and about.

Clear Lake (Cerro Gordo) Small waleyes, non keepers by the island at sundown. Nothing off Ritz yet, but this week of warm weather should get them going.

Sliver lake (Worth) perch are just starting, about a dozen bullheads per perch though.

Hey all, I am bringing my family down for May 2nd through 9th to get away and do some fishing. I have never fished either lake and could use a little advice getting started. I normally target eyes and crappies but just want to get my 8 year old on some fish. We are staying by Arnold's Park and have boat lift access for my boat on Okoboji. What lake would you start on and what depth or bait? I normally toss or drift a jig and minnow in the shallows and drop offs this time of year. I would appreciate any help.

I don't fish West much in the summer other than for muskie, but the reef in Millers, Pikes Point, Ft Dodge ect are all good spots for eyes. Crappies maybe the canals yet, always gills biting someplace.

My walleye fishing I do on Spirit, lindy rigs, spinners on bouncers even cranks can produce as well as old fashion slip bobbers. Try the north end by whats called the footbridge, Big and Little Stoney points and Cottenwood. If your not finding them there don't be afraid to drift/troll the basin.

The DNR netted record numbers of walleyes earlier this month off Spirit, in 2 nights alone over 1600 eyes netted. Spirit also has a high ( record high) perch poulation right now, this open water season should be fun.

Remember no min lenth limit all fish between 17-22 must be released and 3 fish limit, and Muskie seasons closed grin

Thanks for the info Esox. I was thinking that spirit may be the place to start based on the reports I read from this winter. I have to pick up some lake maps when I get there. I am guessing it is kind of crazy with people on opener, what landing is the best to use if there are more than one? Also where is the best bait shop?

I might be wrong but I think Spirit and okoboji are on the Minnesota lake master chip if you have that. There are several good landings on either lake but they are almost guaranteed to be busy that weekend.

There are three main bait shops in the area The closest one to Arnold's Park is Stan's on the north edge of Milford across from the Perkin's, cenex gas station and a small strip mall John can usually give an accurate report of what's happening in the area. Shuck's is on the southwest side of West Okoboji not far from Stan's. And Kabele's is just south of Spirit on Hill Ave.

In the past when I fished the opener if you plan on fishing right at midnight you better plan on being on the lake maybe around 10:30 because you will be waiting in line to get on the lake and have a parking space for your trailer...

I usually camped at Marble Beach and then launched from there. Fished until about 4 or 5 am then catch a few ZZZZZ's then back to fishing...

It is a blast though... Alot of boats but a lot of fun...

I have never been to spirit for the walleye weekend. I was wondering where do you sign up for like the drawings and the tournament they have. And also how the tournament works. It is nothing to serious is it. I was also wondering where would be some good spots on spirit to get on some perch, i know it is the walleye opener but i would like to do some perch fishing too. What would be some good tactics to catch perch and where at. Any info would be great. I am new to this HSOforum and i absolutly love it. It is very helpful.

The local bait shops will have the entry forms. Must be in by 11:59 on Friday night. It's a fund raiser for Easter Seals to win you either catch 1 of 6 tagged walleyes or biggest fish or best stringer. About everyone wins something at the drawings at the banquet on Sunday they give away a ton of stuff. I'll miss it this year but its always a good time even with the nasty weather that seems to be the norm that weekend.

Perch try the points and drops or rock piles with jiggers with waxies.

Shawn you going to be around up there this weekend? I was thinking about stopping up Saturday or Sunday. A guy from work is staying at Marble beach and if I go saturday, I will just throw up a tent on his spot. Haven't really decided if I am going yet. I would like to make an opener some time.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Thanks Mr. Perch smile

Much appreciated.

Here goe for this week:

Storm Lake (and Little Storm Lake): Fishing is fairly slow. Remember that Storm Lake has a 17-22 inch slot length limit. All walleye in that range must be released. White bass fishing is good off Starr Park and in rocky areas. Fish wherever it's calm and use jigs and twisters. Fish are mostly between 10 and 15 inches.

Brushy Creek Lake: Still slow. Brushy Creek has a lot of deep water and will take some time to warm. Anglers are beginning to catch a few bluegill and crappie at the north end of the lake.

Nelson Park Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

Yellow Smoke Park Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

Crawford Creek Impoundment: Still fairly slow. Shore anglers are beginning to catch a few panfish.

Arrowhead Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

North Raccoon River (above State Highway 175 bridge near Auburn): Anglers have been having good luck catching catfish with blood bait.

Browns Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

North Twin Lake: Still pretty slow. Anglers are beginning to catch some 1 to 2 pound catfish using various baits. Anglers are catching a few large bullheads on shrimp or night crawlers.

Black Hawk Lake: Fishing is still a bit slow. Anglers are catching a few catfish and bullhead. Panfish should pick up with the arrival of warm, stable weather.

Crystal Lake: The lake was renovated last fall, and only fish fry have been restocked thus far.

Clear Lake: Water temperature is running in the lower 50s. McIntosh Woods fish cleaning station is open for the season. Yellow bass are slow. Walleyes are being caught fishing at the grade. Crappie fishing has been fair fishing the canals. Channel catfish are biting on dead chubs and crawlers fishing from the jetty.

Lake Cornelia: Bullhead (8 to 9-inch) fishing is excellent using a crawler on the bottom. Walleye fishing has been fair fishing the north end of the lake using a jig and minnow. Walleye fishing has been fair fishing the north end of the lake using a jig and minnow. Bullhead (8 to 9-inch) fishing is excellent using a crawler fished on the bottom.

Beeds Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

Lower Pine Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

Upper Pine Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

Little Wall Lake: We have received no information regarding fishing on this water body this week.

East Fork Des Moines (state line to Algona): Walleye fishing has been good using a jig and minnow. Channel Catfish are biting on dead chubs and crawlers fished off the bottom.

East Fork Des Moines (Algona to Humboldt): Walleye fishing has been good using a jig and minnow. Channel Catfish are biting on dead chubs and crawlers fished off the bottom.

Rice Lake: Bullhead (7 to 8-inch) fishing is excellent using a crawler fished on the bottom.

Silver Lake (Worth): Yellow perch fishing has been fair fishing from the jetty.

Center Lake: Bullhead fishing is good off the southwest corner of the lake at the culvert with night crawlers on the bottom.

Big Spirit Lake: Crappies are fair using a small jig or minnow under a slip bobber at Templar Lagoon and the Grade. Smallmouth bass fishing is good using jerk baits or hair jigs at Little and

Big Stoney points. Yellow perch are fair on jigging lures tipped with live bait or slip bobber and minnow. Bullheads are good using night crawlers on the bottom at the Grade or Buffalo Run. Bluegills are good using a pink and white ice jig tipped with a wax worm around boat docks in Templar Lagoon.

East Okoboji Lake: Crappies are fair using small jigs tipped with wax worms or minnows at the Trestle and at the fishing pier along Highway 9. Bluegills are good using small jigs tipped with wax worms at the Trestle or at the fishing pier along Highway 9.

Minnewashta Lake: Walleyes are fair at the Sawmill Bridge with a jig and minnow at sunset. White bass are fair on a twister tail or slip bobber and minnow at the Sawmill Bridge. Bluegills are good on ice jigs tipped with live bait around boat docks.

Silver Lake (Dickinson): Walleyes are good using a jig and minnow, twister tail, or crankbaits in the evenings.

West Okoboji Lake: Northern pike fishing is good using white spinner baits in Miller's Bay along remaining weed beds. Largemouth bass are excellent with jerk baits in North Bay along remaining weed beds. Crappies are fair on small jigs or live minnows under a bobber in the canals between Emerson and

Miller's bays. Bluegills are fair using small ice jigs tipped with wax worms along the docks at Triboji or along docks and downed trees in Turtle Lake.

Upper Gar Lake: Crappies are fair using small jigs along boat docks. Bluegills are good on small jigs along boat docks.

Five Island Lake: Walleyes are fair using a jig and minnow or twister tail after sunset. Use night crawlers on the bottom by the railroad bridge for channel catfish.

Lost Island Lake: Walleyes are fair using a jig and minnow, twister tail, or small crankbaits after sunset.

Lower Gar Lake: Bullheads are good fishing the public shore on the north side and at the outlet with night crawlers on the bottom.

West Fork Des Moines (state line to Emmetsburg): Walleye Slow. Use jig and minnow or twister tail in current seams. Channel Catfish Good. Use night crawlers or cut bait in holes.

East Fork Des Moines (state line to Algona): Walleye Good. Use a jig and minnow in slack water areas.

Little Sioux River (state line to Linn Grove): Walleye Fair. Use a jig and minnow in holes below bridges and riffles.

Tuttle Lake: Walleye Good. Use a jig and minnow or twister tail below the outlet.

Big Sioux River: Channel Catfish Good. Use night crawlers or cut bait in deep holes.

The walleye season opens on May 2, at 12:01 a.m. The walleye limit is 3. All walleyes between 17-22 inches must be returned immediately to the water. Only one walleye over 22 inches may be kept.

Schmerse Pond located in Clay Co., 3.5 miles east of Fostoria on B14. Kids: Use a small micro jig or hair jig beneath a small bobber for bluegills and crappies. Cast out from shore and slowly jig the bobber back to you.