• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Winnipeg, Red River Guides

MYRT ... I hope your hooking up with Stu and crew as they are on the fish and will get you in the right area to work them.

As the weather gets nicer the numbers of anglers will jump up significantly and so will the noise and pressure on the local Honey Holes...skip them...heed Stu's and Gatorhunters advice and work the areas they point you to..it will pay.

And explore, don't get too attached to one spot, if it slows...move, and move again...the fish are moving constantly and rather quickly chasing shiners and other forage...keep looking and it will pay off in a trophy sumo Greenback or two for you.

Good luck! smile

fishing is red hot now. 50 fish days per guy are here. Still some big girls around too. Caught a 31", 30", and two 28"s today. Finally you can fish without freezing your tail off!

Have fun up here!

Lee

NICE!!

Did you drive out from the West Lee? How did the snow melt shrink down and is it effecting the Chalet access yet?

FYI: There will be a preaty large herd of "Ugly Americans" headed your way this before the weekend, from the Fargo area.

I think Topcat should fill up his cooler with Salties and set up a Salty and Antifreeze stand at the Chalet access.

smile

Yes I am coming from the west. There is a plowed road from Chalet Beach to the mouth along the shore. We may have to go out on the lake as it starts melting because the road is near the Salamoniac chanell and can get dicey. I will keep the board posted to conditions. As of today the heaves are not a problem, that can change on a daily basis though.

With the number of people on the ice now, I think I'm going to take my daughter out and sell her girl guide cookies on the lake.

I think you would make a killing if you had a lunch truck out there.

I like all the American guys coming up. They add a lot to our economy. I also make my living from American fishermen. ( I run a fly-In fishing lodge). Almost all are pleaseant and polite

and most take NO fish home. All they leave here is their money.......

Tight Lines

Smoke Eater Claude drove down the river today and the first ridge that was cut down by chain saw last week is now several feet high. Furthermore, he drilled a few holes between the lake and EOM and observed deteriorating ice conditions in terms of composition and thickness. Current is increasing and temperatures are rising.

No more driving down the river past the EOM for this gatorhunter!

Lee, with weather the way it is and more rain projected in the next several days for the Red River Valley, is it even realistic to still expect the ice to be ok by the 27th? Our group of 6 has only a couple of wheelers between us and were really planning on using snow machines to get around but I am wondering if there will even be enough snow left by then....Any thoughts?

Don't want to cancel, but everyone keeps asking me....Any insight you can give would be helpful. We really want to come up, but also trying to be realistic.

the ice on the lake will be ok. It will not be good in front of any channel of the Red. We might be able to get out at Warner road or Chalet Beach. At this point I WOULD NOT cancel your trip. I would be flexible on access points.

Also snowmobiles may not be the best option either. The snow may be gone and you could burn out sliders. Quads would be ideal.

Usually we will have lake access with trucks. Someone will chip or cut any ridges down. I would be prepared with a needle bar, chain saw. and ax, just in case a ridge pops up when your out all day.

Check the boards for up dates, and your local contact person. They should have up to date info for you.

Lee

Thanks for the insight Lee. Not sure if our crew is prepared to chain saw apart pressure ridges. We would be forced to pull a snomobile trailer behind a wheeler to accomodate those that don't have one. Would that be a bad idea with the heaves the way they are? last thing we want to do is get in to a delema. I appreciate you non bias input. Thanks again!

On a worst case situation, you would have to un-hook the trailer and get it across the heave than go again. I doubt that would happen. I might let the guys off, before going over the ridge! :-) I don't think it will be a problem for you.

Myself and a couple of other guys fished the big lake March 17-19. Fishing was slower than last year at the same time frame. We caught 60-70 between 3 of us. We moved around alot and drilled many holes. It seemed like we would catch a fish or two at a spot and then nothing. Move again catch a couple more and then move. The biggest fish was 27 1/2. Good time and we look forward to making our way up there again sometime soon. Happy fishing!!

Fishing has been a bit slower for me too. The best bite is early morning than it slows down. There is an evening bite. I have been missing it though. I think I am fishing to deep. Will try shallower this week. (2'-4' of water beneath ice)

It's clear that this years efforts are having a variety of results. In a nutshell productivity has been excellent, however, to be successful calls for movement. This can take its toll on the body. With the ice being over 50 inch's thick, drilling holes, lots of holes can be a pain in the A%#@!

Good-luck to those who'll be out there during these remaining days of the season!

Hello to all, The question I have is for the local fisherman. With the red river at flood stage levels in Fargo, Grand Forks headed north. How will this affect the lake? Will high water and currents affect the water clarity on the lake? I would expect that it could with the influx of water. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks and happy fishing

There will be dirty water in some areas. Avoid it, always fish clean water. The "mud line"can be awsome fishing Don't be afraid to fish very shallow sometimes only 2' of water under ice.

We had a good trip! Caught a lot of nice fish with quite a few big ones with a 31" being biggest and released for another day. Got three days of fishing in and then we had issues for the last two days of our trip. 4 wheeler problems one day and then the weather turned ugly the last day. The wind was unreal. You have never experienced wind until you are on the windy side of a big body of water like Winnipeg. I know there was at least 50 mph winds yesterday with sleet/rain/snow mixed in. All I can say is I am happy to be off that lake for safety reasons.

This was my first trip across the border and the stereotype that I commonly hear is that Canadiens generally don't like Americans fishing their lakes. I found that to be far from the truth. I met some very nice and friendly Canadians while I was there and some of them even took the time to help us when we were lost. Looking forward to make it up there again some time. "eh"

Ya..the wind out there can make a North Dakotan homesick..Eh. LOL!!

Can you see why it has such a dangerous reputation for open water fishing, when it comes to wind...can you imagine 60 clicks of wind in a boat out there. A closely monitored weather radio out there is a must, all year around.

Stu and Rog were out there on the lake in a big blow this winter that hit over 100 clicks, a 120 click reading was recorded that day.... eek .. WOW!!!