• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

turkey season 2009

Just wear you safety glass when you shoot the Russian roulette of a bow.... LOL Good luck on the bow kill, remember the saying. "Hit them high watch them die, hit them low and watch the go" I will be sitting in the blind with stick and string myself come Friday morning. Bring the gun for mid day running and gunning.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely . . .a bird in hand . . .Thanks Lee for the help. I'm in between presentations in Charlotte. So anyway, Tom D and I are hunting this hill side that starts out at the bottom a half mile away . . .where we hunted the early hours and got to listen to two first timers crank away on yelps and it was still dark. About 6:30 we got tired of all the noise and so did the birds as they refused to gobble or make any noise at all. So here we are at the top of the hill huffing and puffing away and make a call . . .nothing but all of a sudden 6 jakes show in front of us 30 yds away and we are in the open . . .slowly the knees creak as we get on one knee. I lower my head and pull my mask up . . .Tom is stuck completely in the open with his mask down.. The Jakes came within 10 ft of us but never cared we were there. I even had to drop down on both knees and when I dropped they all raised their heads and looked but stayed put. They eventually left after 15 minutes . . .talk about sore joints. As we stood up and watched them go off to the West . . .another group of Jakes show up in front of us but they decide to follow the first group. We decide to wander over to an open field and glass but nothing. Next we decide to go to the top of the hill and screw with the Jakes. We spent about an hour doing that and thought we would try a different tactic on them and see how close we could sneak on them. As we were walking along a fence row along a tree line, we heard a gobble (1015). Tom thought it was to the left and I thought it was to the right. So we call again. I say right, he says straight ahead and over the hill. So we go throught he bobwire and are standing there in the open about 5 ft from the tree line and while trying to figure out how to get to the hill that the bird is over in front of us . . .Tom whispers . . .freeze!! There 200 yds to our right is the Tom strutting and gobbling away. Now what . . we are in he open and he is still strutting so he has not seen us or cares. We try to wait for him to face away so we can move, but no luck. So I sloooowly get down on my butt and lean back to the fence and the trees. Tom stays in place and waits. I crawl throgh the fence while Tom slooowly gets down and sits. I make my way about 50 yds toward the bird keeping behind as much cover as possible. I call Tom on the radio that I am in place and he says after the last call the bird is coming fast and he can no longer see him. I have a perfect ambush spot against a tree and bushes in front. If he comes along the fence row I can see him early and be ready. If he goes under the fence and comes on the other side I can do the same thing. Tom lets out another yelp and the Tom gobbles and I can see him through a group of bushes on the left in a trot. I hold the gun on his head and wait for the perfect shot. And that is what you call a fantastic day . . .just like it was written for TV!!

Nice Bird Franky...but, I nodded out a few times during your reinactment cry

I have not been out as often as I like. I just don't get all worked up like I do when hunting in the Fall. I would rather be into some Fish somewhere!!!

Nice job guys!

Frankie - I speed read through your story as I heard the longer version on the phone sleepgrin

Tank put the lead to a bird this morning. Was not one of the big boys but he had a 7 inch beard. The bird was definatly a dominant bird as he was very beat up from breeding and or fighting...

p5092986.jpg

His orchard is looking good in bloom...

p5092989.jpg

A dubya . . .we've got to get out and fish . . .it's time. BTW did you look up that Boardwalk Dry Porter?? New Yeungling Porter is exceptional

No Boardwalk yet, but the new Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA is one Bad Mamba Jamba.

I am ready to fish whenever you are ready!!!

Nice Bird Tank grin

Well fellas after bout 40 hours in the woods it finally came togther and i tagged out this weekend.

Sat morning 5:35am called off the roost into a field using jake and hen decoy. 18 lbs. 10" beard 1" spurs

img0394t.jpg

img0391v.jpg

Sunday morning 6:30am snuck within 50 yards of this strutting monster in a grass field. 24 lbs. 9.5" beard 1-1/4" spurs

picture008owr.jpg

got coffee and came back saw another turkey out a field over and my buddy closed within 35 yards throuhg a hedge row while i distracted him by callin bout 40 yards up the hedge row the other direction. 21 lbs. 9" beard 1-1/4" spurs

picture006jum.jpg

w640.png

Awesome turkey weekend....

Thanks Timmy! This will be one of my favorite hunting memories second to my elk hunt. Unbelievable hunts...

Sat was my first bird that i set up on, thought out and called it in by myself with success...

And sunday was my first double morning with a buddie, so it was truley a special weekend for me...