Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass77

Storing Live Bait

3 posts in this topic

Just curious what you folks do for live bait storage. I was thinking of buying in bulk for some wax worms and eurolarve this winter but I am not quite sure it this is the way to go. The clerk at Vados said that storing the bait on the floor in your basement is a good way to go because the temperature is usually just right, 45 – 50 degrees.

Does anyone else buy in bulk? Is it work the hassle? How do you store your bait?

As a side note, I usually just leave my minnows in my garage stored in a Styrofoam bucket and that has always worked well.

an old Westinghouse fridge in the garage(you know the latch handle types from the 50's) for waxe's and I keep minnows in the bucket, but I aerated it with the air pump from the old 10 gallon aquarium the kids just "had to have". keep picking out the dead ones from time to time and both usually keep until I get them used up and need to get more. Now I use wax worms, I don't use the euro larvae, not sure how they would keep.

With Spikes I order a bulk 1,000 order and I use a large coffee can and put some holes in the top and place it in the bottom shelf of the refrigerator and they stay alive from Dec through 2nd week in May. I change the saw dust out once about mid season, keeps the smell down.