• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Joe Mauer a lot of little problems

Dahitman44

Is it me or does he just seem to have little problems every spring? That puts him behind and he misses most of the games and comes out of the gate slowly.

What gives?

Shouldn't he have known about his medical problems so he could have gotten worked on in the off season?

I know he is the "Golden Boy" or the "Chosen One" or whatever, but shouldn't we be asking this question?

Just a thought or two -- it is getting to look like pattern to me ...

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wondered why they did the surgery so late in the winter when he hasn't worked for 5 months. Seems like they knew of his condition for quite a while. Why it wasn't done in October I can't imagine.

Boof is another. They knew his shoulder was bad since late last season, why was that just now fixed? Is it the Twin's trainers? Are they such optomists that they think/hope that everything will be okay with a little rest during the off season?

I think maybe Neshek should have had his elbow fixed much sooner too.

Maybe we should be looking at the trainers and not the players.

Could it be these pro athletes take their time off more serious than playing a full season and know how to work the system. It is a long season and the early games realy dont mean a thing as far as standings. Seems like this is a trend with pro athletes that I have seen in the past few years.

To teach him a lesson we should let Mike Redmond play the first 100 games. Joe can pinch hit.

I think I see where you are coming from but Mauer catches 140+ games a year, hits over .300 and handles a staff better then anybody currently in the game. As far as I'm concerned he can walk in the last week of spring training. He hasn't shown me any tendency to goof off or not want to play.

Now, if you wanna get somebody, get the guy's who are always late from the Dominican because of visa problems. Spring training starting dates are known a year in advance, no excuse to be late.

Redmond wouldn't last 5 straight games behind the plate what is he 40 years old?? And having Mauer PH over Kubel is nuts.

Like Pier said having what he did his something you don't rush into. Mauer will be fine once the season starts won't miss a beat.

the early games realy dont mean a thing as far as standings.

Im pretty sure every game counts, it sure would have been nice to win one more of those early games last year-that would have put us into the playoffs instaed of a tie.

He's the Kevin Garnet of baseball. Who cares? A bunch of nearly meaningless SINGLES! Nine homers and 60 RBI's average over 5 years. He's the most OVERRATED player in the bigs.

You forgot to add league leading avg, over 400 obp, almost 100 runs scored. 2 batting championships, 2 alstar bids. The best catcher in the game with a career .996 fielding percentage. Best hitting catcher also.

Maybe its just me but i didnt think Garnet was overated either.

Only 2 hits in the playoffs in his career. Oh yeah, they've only been to the playoffs 1 time in his 5 SUPERSTAR years here. Three games, 3 losses. Hmmm!? He's one mediocre player on a less than mediocre team.

Maybe you should post on MLB.com and see if any general managers would be willing to give this stiff a chance. wink

My guess is you would be much happier and prouder if he took steroids so he could hit 40hr and and break down physically in the next 5 years. Do a little research and you will find catchers of his quality are few and far between. Sure it would be nice if he hit home runs, but being the best catcher in baseball has more value then what you are giving him credit for.

If you are looking for flash over substance I suggest you look at the NBA.

Since it seems like you know what you are talking about! (thats sarcasm in case u didnt know) Pick a catcher that u would rather the twins had, see if you can find one that would be better, remember the twins dont get much money to spend either.

The Twins could spend as much as they need. They CHOOSE not to spend. You and I just gave them what, half a billion for a new mini stadium next to garbage incinerator. That's awesome!(thats sarcasm in case u didnt know) All I'm saying is he is WAY overrated. If he's the best catcher in the majors, too bad for MLB.

And as far as breaking down in the next five years, check out pretty boy the last 5 years.

heres a few stats rankings to help u out for other catchers in the mlb last year.

Rankings for Mauer

AB-2nd

R-1st

Hits-1st

2B-4th

3B-1st

RBI-4th

BB-2nd

SO-3rd fewest

AVG-1st

OBP-1st

Fielding %-1st

You forgot to answer the question of whos better smart guy. I didnt ask about the new stadium and where its at. Must be my fault, the question of who would be better is easily confused with the new stadium.