Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CNY Tim

Best Bluegill Jig

17 posts in this topic

Stamina 1/32oz, lead head no collar jig with a size 10 mustad gold thin light wire hook and finesse plastics tails in size 6 Black, Glow and Blue Glow . When there finicky 1/64 oz. lead with small finesse plastics same colors as above plus Chartreuse. Add one spike for flavor, You will catch nice bulls and crappies with this rig. That rat tail has live action they can't resist.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 11-14-2002).]

I have to go with a marmooska, color depends on the situation. Add a spike and your good to go!

Chiro - Can't disagree with you there I started with marmooskas and they are just as effective but if the gill sucks it in, it's easier to get it out with a longer shank hook. On and off fast and back down the hole. I got a story for you I caught a 22" walleye while I was fishing for perch with a size 12 chart/green and white Marmooska on 2 pound test in 29' of water. Talk about a fight>

CNY Tim,
That's one for the books, you probably should have entered it at the fishing hall of fame in Hayward, seriously...light line and all. When I was in High school I was dating the VP of sales at Berkley's daughter and he knew I was a fishing nut, probably thought I was dating his daughter for the fishing perks. Well one night we are having dinner at their place and he pulls this tape out and pops it in the VCR. Seems that Kent Hrbeck came down to Spirit Lake to fish with a couple of the high ups at Berkley's and they got it on tape. Kent is fishing away when you see his noodle rod bend to the handle and his eyes got the size of dinner plates. 20 minutes later a guy is gaffing his 18lb northern. He caught that darn thing on 4 lb test with a tear drop and the hook was straitened completely, all that was holding the monster on was the barb on a frail piece of skin...WOW!

[This message has been edited by chiro (edited 11-14-2002).]

Genz Fatboy in yellow/orange tipped with two euro larvae.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Custom Jigs and Spins "Demons" tipped with a waxworm! Best for me!!! wink.gif

------------------
F-STOP

Chartreuse and black Moonglow jig w/red eye and glitter tipped with a waxworm.

chiro - Kent Hrbeck ice fished... Wow that's cool. That's a heck of a northern on any pound test, wish I could have seen that video.
The walleye I caught was wearing my mooska like a nose ring, probably would have been the only way I could have caught that fish. Patience was the only way... I got lucky.
I was working with a girl last winter from Spirit Lake (Berkley). Nice girl and she really took care of me on some ice guides I needed, she quit shortly after that.
Were still a few weeks away here for ice fishing, I can't wait... It's my favorite part of the year.
Give those Finesse plastics a try I swear you'll thank me for it and if lose one it's only .17 down the drain. I have not bought mooskas in a couple years I last bought them in bulk. Good deal from National Sports Supply, Dan is great! You know off hand what there running a 12 card now?
I'll tell ya what has been a good tip on finicky deep water perch the size 12 and 14 mooska in the orange, black and white. When there extremely negative at late ice it has been the only other color than the all black that I paint myself that have worked.

Yeah, I always heard good things about those when I was going to school in Davenport, davenpit as I not so fondly refer to it! I believe there made in Coralville? So are they basically a marmooska with a longer shank to put the finesse on? I could appreciate having a longer shank, oh my god what did I just open myself up for there. Really though I know what you mean those mars can be stubborn little buggers to get out at times.

chiro - No I was just abbreviating marmooska there. The finesse plastics work with a jig that has no collar. You just thread the plastic body on and the tail is exposed past the shank of the hook and when that tail dances they go nuts. Yup there out of coralville.. I use stamina jigs in 1/32oz. for the large tails and 1/64 oz. for the smaller tails. Any roundhead no collar jig will do there expensive through Stamina but I am trying to get some through Tony On Ice. Just make sure you get light wire hooks, they penetrate easier. I would give you the info but I don't want to get in trouble with Rick so post your addy and I will get with you when I get back to work on Monday with the info. I can fish these plain or with one spike for flavor

CNY Tim - You know how my father is with those Marmooskas. Take away all his jigs and leave his marmooskas and he'll be happy. Next time we meet up remind me to show you the pict on my digital of the 25 inch eye he got on lake C last winter. 2# test and one of my custom rods and a pink and white TonyMooska. 40 ft of water! About 10 years ago he got a 2 footer on onieda on a size 10 black ant out in that deep water. With a good drag and patience anything can be landed on 2#.....

Tim, DC
I got a 13# 34" lake trout out of simcoe on 2# test, using a marmooska!
Much to Liteline's chagrin, he witnessed it!
The very next week I got another laker, that one was 27", again on 2# test.
Took 20 min. to get the 13 pounder in, even made the local paper.

Hard H2O and Dark Cloud - Marmooska's man a basic staple for any icefisherman. Them Rusky's were right on with that design. I like Tony Mooskas too and I will inquire more with Tony about these..
Jay have you ever thought of doctoring up those jigging raps. What I mean is I dont think I would ever cut the hooks on the nose and the tail, but I have thought of taking the treble off on the bottom when the perch get finicky. I had times last year late ice where the perch would come in to investigate, "especially late ice on C" and the fish would pause and stay there motionless on the screen for a minute and sometimes even longer and just would not take.
I have been reading up on some stuff and was willing to try this option. That is to attach a small 2" piece of 4 lb. flourocarbon with a single size 10-12 light wire hook with a single maggot or waxie. You then would still have the attraction yet provide a smaller offering. Maybe they remove the end hooks on the rap so that the single maggot or waxie does not hang up on the drop or while jigging to attract.
The philosophy is that the jigging rap is the predator and that while that rap is feeding it dropped it's prey which falls below the rap, basicaly easy pickings for a finicky perch.

Heck you guys probably have tried this because you have been fishing raps for so long. This scenario could be used in conjunction with a spoon as well. I want to get to where I am catching perch and not wanting to pull my hair out when there that tight lipped. The black marmooskas and the orange white and black size 12, seem to be the only thing that works for me and that is 50% at best.

Can't wait to see your pictures of those fish.

Bill at the fish fry at the Hoser's house this past fall the perch that Jim and you provided were the best tasting perch I had ever eaten, if those baby's were out of Simcoe count me in for a trip up there this winter.

Talk to you guys later.

Hey Tim,
that's an interesting philosophy. I think you'll find that quite often guys do cut off the end hooks on jigging raps.

Have you tried it yet? If so how did it work?

If you haven't tried it, can you give us an update when you do, please?