• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

auger question

wmn luv me walleye fearme

Question

looking on the used equipment section and thinking about buying a year old strikemaster mag 2000 8", for around 200. 1 year used but supposedly never used and still in the box. Looks like they go new for about 250 or so? I am pretty ignorant on power augers as i've been using a hand one since I moved here a couple years back and looking to get some advice and see if that is a decent auger and worth the money or any other suggestions
thanks

7 answers to this question

Walleye,

The Strikemaster Mag 2000 is not a bad auger at all. I am assuming you are looking at the 8" model. Yes, they run about $250 in most stores new. However, if you have the extra money laying around I would personally go for the Strikemaster Lazer Augers. A little more expensive but well worth it in my opinion.

Good Luck smile.gif

I have to agree with Chev_trucks501 I would spend the extra cash, it is not that the Regular mag 2000 is not a great auger, it is. But, if your going to drill any amount of holes it will really wear you out less if you move up to the Lazer. Take my advice and get what ever brand, make or modlel you end up with, get it tuned shortly after you get it. I didn't do that and it ran poorly enough for long enough that I ended up needing to have the carb replaced. Since I don't now didley about 2 cycles it cost me 75 clams for parts and labor, big investment for a year old auger. This doesn't happen to every one but, it happens enough to make it worth a mention.

I'm a proud owner of a mag 2000. This is a fine machine, in my opinion, and is worth every penny. Sure, the lazer is faster, but I've found other ways to save time.

I get up earlier than the lazer boys. I sleep in my ice fishing clothes. My gear is packed in my rig the night before. I skip breakfast. I drive through red lights. I drive faster than the posted speed limit.
I pick up my minnows the night before and bait the hooks in the truck while I'm driving.

So while those lazer boys are congratulating themselves on drilling a hole through three feet of ice in 36 seconds, I'm dropping my third fish into the bucket!

200 bucks for the mag isn't a bad price, especially in like-new condition. Spend the money you save on your kids.

Soldier: Those are good thoughts. Plenty of guys take a strange amount of pride in cutting a hole 2.3 seconds faster than their neighbors. I like a fast-drilling auger too (I have a lazer, a Strikemaster XL-3000 with powerpoint), but that couple seconds saved doesn't make any difference in the scheme of things. And no matter how fast your drill works, someone's always faster.

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-14-2002).]