Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lip RIPPER!

vex problem??

13 posts in this topic

Check to see if your transducer is scratched. I had to replace mine last year.

[This message has been edited by Lip RIPPER! (edited 11-13-2002).]

my transducer has scratches all over it, but they don't appear to be deep. should it be scratch-free?

Rap, your tranducer should be free of scratches. One thing I did was to set the transducer in syrofoam in my blue-box. This prevents the transducer from getting scratched from the bottom of the box. KOOBA

i think i'll go buy a new transducer, hopefully that is the problem, i think the main problem i have with scratches is i take the transducer out of the hole everytime i catch a fish, it ends up getting banged on the ice everytime i catch one... do u guys take the transducer out of the hole when you catch a fish?

Nope unless its a big fish then I will. Or if the fish gets crazy and gets tangled in it, other wise no.

BTW if your fishing outside, just drill 3 holes; 2 for your lines and one for your vex.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-13-2002).]

I almost always take my trancducer out of the hole when I get a fish, don't want to get tangled when the monster is on the other end!!! Before you buy a new transducer, do you know anyone that has a unit, if you do see if you can borrow their transducer and do the test!!!!!!!

sounds like you guys could get some use
out of a little trick of the trade.
Well here goes take notes.get some of the rings for sink plumming I belive there 1'1/2 put them on the top and bottom of your transducer to protect it from getting bang up works great. replace when needed and get the thick ones.and save that ducer money for bait.
good fishin
jimBo

I fish out of a 10" hole, and never take out the transducer. It helps to keep the ducer pretty tight against the bottom of your hole. Nothing like a long dangling one to invite a tangle.

Also, I've had my FL8-SLT for three seasons (this will be its fourth), and the line has always surged and fallen off to a small degree. It has only one small scratch in the bottom and I've been very careful with it.

Do the SLTs do this, or do all Vexes do this to some degree?

I just did the air test myself (thanks Backwater Eddy), and it happens even when the ducer is still as a rock.

thanks for the help everyone, i bought a new ducer tonight and did the air test... the signal from my old ducer was flickering green at best, now with the new one it is red... the line still flickers once in a while but i think that might have something to do with it transmitting through air instead of water and plus i'm not holding it exactly steady... hopefully with this new ducer it will work alot better than last year!

[This message has been edited by rap (edited 11-13-2002).]

last year i noticed that if i had my lure just hanging below my vex it would show up then dissapear over and over again and it was sitting still the whole time. i also noticed when a fish would be beneath it, it would also suddenly dissapear then reappear while i knew the fish was just sitting in the same spot the whole time. now i did the air test on a hard floor that the vex newsletter explains... at the 9 ft mark, there is a green line, but it does the same thing, keeps disappearing then reappearing!! has anyone else experienced this problem before... i'm just trying to figure out if i should send the unit in to the vex repair shop or buy a new transducer??? it's very frustrating out on the ice when when your trying to entice a fish to bite then the lure and the fish keep disappearing and reappearing! thanks for any help

I don't know if it's the "scratches" that cause a ducer problem as much as it getting "banged". Although the banging might cause the scratches I guess. The crystal inside the transducers are the sensitive part.

What degree cone angle is your transducer?

It does not take much of a wobble to loose the signal on a 9 deg transducer, especially on a air test. The speed of the signal in the air is much faster then in water so it will get jumpy on even a slight wobble.

There is still a chance the transducer is poor, so barrow a good one from a friend and see if it still does the same for you.

Another consideration is if your brush's are worn or dusty and they do not get a good signal. If your display is very dim this may be a issue too, especially on a well used unit.

If your still unsure, send it in to Vexilar. Their service is fast and you will know the unit is up to snuff when they are done looking it over.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
backwtr1@msn.com
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I talked to Vexilar.

Some units had transmit problems, and caused problems with sensitivity etc.. They stated that if you send it in they can detirmine if this is one of the "problem" units and will fix it for free. (I know it means time without your TV)

Also they said if moisture often gets into the unit (everytime the heater in the house fires up ("condensation")), or if has been submerged, chances are the brushes are coroded and the unit will be less effective.

This is the case with my FL-8 right now, as it is 6 years old and has seen many hours. I am going to Vexilar and getting a re-conditioned unit.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-18-2002).]

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BEFORE BEGINNING

Before you begin, make sure you have a good strong battery and make sure it's charged up. If you have a bad or weak battery, you may want to replace it because if it doesn't crank good and strong, you are likely to get a low, inaccurate reading. Make sure your engine is warmed up to operating temperature(if possible). About 10 minutes of riding should do.

First, take out the spark plug and thread in the adapter for the compression tester. Make sure you have the correct size adapter for your particular ATV. Slide your kill switch to the "off" position. Some ATVs won't crank over with the kill switch in the "off" position, so if yours is like this, then you will need to either unhook your ignition coil or ground the end of the spark plug wire to a good ground. You can use a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end to ground it. Next, make sure the throttle is in the wide open position. You can either hold the throttle lever with your thumb or you may be able to tape it or use a zip tie to fasten it to your handlebars to hold it in the wide open position. If you don't have the throttle in the wide open position, you will probably get too low of a reading. Also, if you are testing a newly rebuilt engine, the engine needs to have been run for, at least, 30 or 40 minutes or you will probably get too low of a reading.

NOTE: Before you begin with the actual test, make sure the threaded adapter is screwed in good and isn't leaking any air out around it.

ACTUAL TESTING

With the throttle in the wide open position, push the start button and crank the engine over until the hand on the gauge stops moving. Each time the engine turns over the hand should raise a little more until it reaches the maximum compression of the engine. When it stops, that is your compression reading. This usually takes no more than 10 seconds. Try to avoid cranking an engine for more than 10 seconds at a time as this is hard on the starter and the battery. Now, push the relief valve on your compression gauge and that will reset the hand back to zero. It's a good ideal to repeat the test a couple or three times to make sure you get an accurate reading. On kick start models, it will be the same procedure, but obviously you will be kicking it over instead of using a start button. Worn piston rings and cylinder walls will increase the number of strokes it takes to reach the maximum reading. If you're kicking, it could possibly take as many as 10-20 kicks to get the highest reading.

THE READING

You will need to check your repair manual for your particular model for the correct compression specifications. See note below. Usually, an engine will run OK if it has at least 100 PSI of compression. Most engines will have somewhere between 100-250 and some as high as 300 PSI, depending on the engine. Sometimes they will run with under 100 PSI, but usually not very well. If you get a low reading, you can do a "wet test" to try to help determine the problem.

If your reading is too high, then you probably have carbon built up on your piston and combustion chamber.

NOTE: You may get a low reading on some engines because some engines have a decompressor assembly built into the camshaft. Check the service manual for your quad to see whether or not your quad has a decompressor assembly built into the cam.

WET TEST

If you got a low reading, pour about 1-2 teaspoons of clean motor oil down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and do the compression test again. If your reading increases, then your rings or cylinder walls are probably worn. If your reading doesn't increase, then it's probably your valves. You could have a bent valve, you may have leaky valve seats, or your valve clearance may not be adjusted properly. Also, low compression can be caused by a blown head gasket.

CAUSES OF LOW COMPRESSION

*Worn piston rings or worn or damaged cylinder walls
      *Leaking valves
      *Valve clearance not properly set
      *Blown head gasket

CAUSE OF HIGH COMPRESSION (stock engines)

*Carbon buildup in combustion chamber and on piston

NOTE: Compression testing is a good way to keep track or "gauge" the wear in your engine. When you first get your ATV or when you rebuild the engine in your ATV, you can do a compression test and then later on, you can do them periodically. This will help you determine the wear in your engine each time you do a compression test and will guide you in knowing when your engine needs rebuilding.

This is about all I can think of. I hope I didn't leave anything out and I hope this helps everyone with their compression tests.
    • As dumb as this sounds how is this done?
    • Try a compression check. And make sure the choke is opening all the way.
    • They are not the best out their but for the price and your average person not too bad I guess, Its going to send lead to where its pointed. This is probably what is going to happen he is going to buy a package shoot it for awhile then start upgrading everything to how he wants it and it is going to end up costing way more than if he just built one himself how he wants it.  
    • Hello, well I convinced my brother in-law to pick up my buddies old 1980 185 although pretty sure he said it was bored out to a 200? Here is the deal it's been sitting for a solid 8 years. I know it ran fine before. Not the delema-----   It starts right up (he bought a new carb odd amazon) although it sounds like a jet with high rpms. Looked at the throttle cable that's fine. Floats are fine. So he plugged this hole in the air filter and got it to idle down although when he hit the gas wouldn't get any power. Read a few things online and they tell you to just bypass the filter box and all that so back to amazon we went to get one of those filters that mount right up to the carb and it's still the same issue..   I just haven't seen anything like this? Do you guys have any thoughts or tricks that we/he could try?! Thanks in advance
    • Hi Everyone,  I'm looking into buying my first true fish finder and I'm a little perplex with the mapping card situation.  I'm looking at Humminbird Helix 5's and 7's.  I'm drawn to the autochart feature.  From my understanding, you can record 8 hours of charting onto the internal storage, but, is there any native mapping included on the unit or do I absolutely have to get some sort of mapping chip, zerolines or lake master, or navionics?  Can I store data on a blank SD card?  I've been researching this a lot and haven't found any conclusive answers. Thanks everyone!
    • Saul Good, Man.....  LOL 
    •   When do the not so rare Highjack birds show up?  Oh ah. 
  • Our Sponsors