• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

vex problem??

Lip RIPPER!

Question

last year i noticed that if i had my lure just hanging below my vex it would show up then dissapear over and over again and it was sitting still the whole time. i also noticed when a fish would be beneath it, it would also suddenly dissapear then reappear while i knew the fish was just sitting in the same spot the whole time. now i did the air test on a hard floor that the vex newsletter explains... at the 9 ft mark, there is a green line, but it does the same thing, keeps disappearing then reappearing!! has anyone else experienced this problem before... i'm just trying to figure out if i should send the unit in to the vex repair shop or buy a new transducer??? it's very frustrating out on the ice when when your trying to entice a fish to bite then the lure and the fish keep disappearing and reappearing! thanks for any help

12 answers to this question

Rap, your tranducer should be free of scratches. One thing I did was to set the transducer in syrofoam in my blue-box. This prevents the transducer from getting scratched from the bottom of the box. KOOBA

i think i'll go buy a new transducer, hopefully that is the problem, i think the main problem i have with scratches is i take the transducer out of the hole everytime i catch a fish, it ends up getting banged on the ice everytime i catch one... do u guys take the transducer out of the hole when you catch a fish?

Nope unless its a big fish then I will. Or if the fish gets crazy and gets tangled in it, other wise no.

BTW if your fishing outside, just drill 3 holes; 2 for your lines and one for your vex.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-13-2002).]

I almost always take my trancducer out of the hole when I get a fish, don't want to get tangled when the monster is on the other end!!! Before you buy a new transducer, do you know anyone that has a unit, if you do see if you can borrow their transducer and do the test!!!!!!!

sounds like you guys could get some use
out of a little trick of the trade.
Well here goes take notes.get some of the rings for sink plumming I belive there 1'1/2 put them on the top and bottom of your transducer to protect it from getting bang up works great. replace when needed and get the thick ones.and save that ducer money for bait.
good fishin
jimBo

I fish out of a 10" hole, and never take out the transducer. It helps to keep the ducer pretty tight against the bottom of your hole. Nothing like a long dangling one to invite a tangle.

Also, I've had my FL8-SLT for three seasons (this will be its fourth), and the line has always surged and fallen off to a small degree. It has only one small scratch in the bottom and I've been very careful with it.

Do the SLTs do this, or do all Vexes do this to some degree?

I just did the air test myself (thanks Backwater Eddy), and it happens even when the ducer is still as a rock.

thanks for the help everyone, i bought a new ducer tonight and did the air test... the signal from my old ducer was flickering green at best, now with the new one it is red... the line still flickers once in a while but i think that might have something to do with it transmitting through air instead of water and plus i'm not holding it exactly steady... hopefully with this new ducer it will work alot better than last year!

[This message has been edited by rap (edited 11-13-2002).]

last year i noticed that if i had my lure just hanging below my vex it would show up then dissapear over and over again and it was sitting still the whole time. i also noticed when a fish would be beneath it, it would also suddenly dissapear then reappear while i knew the fish was just sitting in the same spot the whole time. now i did the air test on a hard floor that the vex newsletter explains... at the 9 ft mark, there is a green line, but it does the same thing, keeps disappearing then reappearing!! has anyone else experienced this problem before... i'm just trying to figure out if i should send the unit in to the vex repair shop or buy a new transducer??? it's very frustrating out on the ice when when your trying to entice a fish to bite then the lure and the fish keep disappearing and reappearing! thanks for any help

I don't know if it's the "scratches" that cause a ducer problem as much as it getting "banged". Although the banging might cause the scratches I guess. The crystal inside the transducers are the sensitive part.

What degree cone angle is your transducer?

It does not take much of a wobble to loose the signal on a 9 deg transducer, especially on a air test. The speed of the signal in the air is much faster then in water so it will get jumpy on even a slight wobble.

There is still a chance the transducer is poor, so barrow a good one from a friend and see if it still does the same for you.

Another consideration is if your brush's are worn or dusty and they do not get a good signal. If your display is very dim this may be a issue too, especially on a well used unit.

If your still unsure, send it in to Vexilar. Their service is fast and you will know the unit is up to snuff when they are done looking it over.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><sUMo>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300
[email protected]
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

I talked to Vexilar.

Some units had transmit problems, and caused problems with sensitivity etc.. They stated that if you send it in they can detirmine if this is one of the "problem" units and will fix it for free. (I know it means time without your TV)

Also they said if moisture often gets into the unit (everytime the heater in the house fires up ("condensation")), or if has been submerged, chances are the brushes are coroded and the unit will be less effective.

This is the case with my FL-8 right now, as it is 6 years old and has seen many hours. I am going to Vexilar and getting a re-conditioned unit.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-18-2002).]