• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remington Wingmaster vrs Express

BLACKJACK

Question

Awhile back there was a thread on whether the Remington Express is as reliable as the Wingmaster - can someone point me to the thread? I couldn't find it with the search...

Was just out to the Remington web page and they said the Express had the same action as the Wingmaster, do people argee with that?

What do people think about the 1187 SPS Super
Magnum, is it reliable? I'm looking for a gun that shoots 3" shells for goose hunting and thought this would be a good one, and might as well be able to shoot the 3 1/2 inch shells.

Thanks for the info.

9 answers to this question

Blackjack, I would definately go with something that shoots 3 1/2 inch. I picked up a Mossberg 585 this year that shoots 3 1/2 and am really impressed with the knockdown power on the flying rats. I know that they say the express has the same action as the wingmaster, but I personally don't think they are built as well.

Thats my $.02

Capt'n

I agree that the only differences are the wood (birch vs. Walnut) and the blueing or lack thereof. I have been using a 28 gauge express for grouse the last two years and the action is the same as my 870 LW 20 gauge. I do wonder how well the lighter wood will hold up to moisture and abuse.

Blackjack,

Well the Rem 870 Wingmaster vs. the Rem 870 Express. The Wingmaster is a high gloss blued finish and a higher grade (than express) wood stock and forearm. It also has a polished bolt in the action. Some say it helps with cycling I have my doubts. The so called "guts" of both guns are exactly the same. They both run on the same principal and the parts can be used interchangably. So in the respect the Wingmaster and the Express are exactly the same.

As far as 3 1/2 inch guns go the Rem 11-87 is not too bad. I prefer Benelli over anything but that choice also carries a hefty price tag. I still shoot a 3" shell for all my hunting though. Have not found a game bird I couldn't take down with a 3"er! Hope this helps.

Good Luck smile.gif

The parts may be identical and interchangeable but the finish on said parts is night and day different. Wingmaster cycles way smoother. Have heard them shoot side by side on the trap range and there is a sound difference. I don't know what the price difference is but from what I last remember, it was more than the price of a nice looking stock. When the dull finish first came out on guns, it was more expensive than a blued gun. I've had a wingmaster for over 20 years and still going strong. Had an express for about 10 and don't see myself getting a whole lot more rounds through it. Got about 2000 rounds through a Nova and it is my gun of choice right now. Just waiting to see how it holds up in the long run. 3 1/2" shells really rock.

I bought an 870 Express combo 10 + years ago and it's still goin strong I keep it clean but don't baby it in the field. She's got some battle scars for sure but works like a champ on deer and waterfowl.
The Express has a flat finish stock and barrel wheras the Wingmaster has a blued finish. If your worried about durabilty or value for your buck all I can say is I'm WAY SATISFIED with mine.
I used to own a Wingmaster. A good gun without a doubt !

I bought a 11-87 SuperMagnum 3.5" last spring and love it! Very soft recoil even with 3.5" shells! Went to South Dakota for the spring snow goose hunt and the 3.5" 1 9/16oz. t's and f shot did the best job at those birds. Tha 3" shells didn't do so well as both me and my son shooting 3.5" shells took most of the snows that flew over.
Can't wait untill next spring to do that again!!

------------------
F-STOP