Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish&Fowl

Finally!

20 posts in this topic

Finally got my first 'yote today. Got to the first spot and howled and used the cottontail distress (which they really seemed to respond to tonight) and got a some howls in response. After a few more distress calls, we heard a challenge and soon they were in sight and heading our way.

There ended up being two, and one went in front of my buddy off to my right at about 80 yards, but all he had was a shotgun. I dropped this guy where he stood at about 140 yards. First kill for the new Tikka as well.

DSCF0786.jpg

Good for you. Nice job. That's very exciting when it all comes together.

how big was he? he looks like a nice one congrats.

No weight, but we guessed he had to be at least 45 pounds if not more. He's a little over 5 ft. from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.

I got somewhat addicted to the sport last winter. It is so much fun when it works! I am bummin a little this winter because I've had to lay low after having knee surgery (my hunting buddies just went on a trip without me). But it is nice to know that someone else is persecuting the vermin! Very nice!

Well we ended up having a pretty good weekend. 7 sets, 3 coyotes called in, 2 killed. Dad got his first MN coyote at about 75 yards. Two came in and we never could connect on the other one as it was running.

DSCF0796.jpg

Went out this morning and howled in this nice female at our first set. She showed up and wouldn't come any closer...300 yd head-shot.

DSCF0799.jpg

Fish&Fowl,

How early you gettin out in the morning?

Not super early. We had -35 windchills yesterday and -20 today, and with the wind from the SE we wanted to let the sun get up so we could actually see without being blinded. We actually got both of them at about 9:30am exactly a day apart.

Nice Coyote!! What kind of scope cover do you have there, and where do you get one? Thanks

I got my first one last weekend!! What a blast!! We were over by TRF. mn I am going to try it over here this weekend.good luck!!

The scope cover is just a neoprene one I got at Gander Mtn. for around $10. It's a really heavy duty one, and I like it a lot. I actually have a sock on it right now that you can see in the picture, just breaks it up a little more.

Curious to what you all think. My buddy bagged a nice male 2 weeks ago and I know it was 40+ lbs. We never did get the thing on a scale which leaves me still thinking. Is that uncommon cause in the the DNR regs it states, "Several 50-pound coyotes have been rumored, but the largest on record weighed just 42." Had a female come in to the edge of the gravel pit just before dark at 120yds (distressed cotton tail). Sat right behind a birch for two minutes out of site. she started walking off and I decided to shoot a stick 1 foot in front of the barrel (marksman). Any how, I thought she had a great view of the robot rabbit but later finding out there was a sand mound blocking her view. ?Does anyone have success getting them even closer with (light rodent sound or something)I know 120 yds is no problem I would just like to play with one see if you can get it right on top of the decoy

They might appear to be 40+ lbs, but when you actually put them on a scale they shrink.........we have taken over 200 in the past 4 years and the largest was just 40 lbs on a scale.Most are in the mid to high 20's and some males are in the lower 30's

Budman, do you do most your hunting around swan, nicollet. I've been meaning to get down there as for I am living Duluth now (originally Mankato). I have a buddy that owns a peninsula on swan (pellings bay) and man do we see yotes when we turkey/ deer hunt there. I wonder if the dogs are heavier or lighter up in this neck of the woods?

Won't tell you specifically where we hunt , but will say this . Actually the total is 207 , about one third were shot in N.D.

Understandable, wasn't looking for lat and long. I have plenty of farmland to hunt down there! 50 dogs a year that's some serious stuff-

I was guessing that weight compared to my 70-pound lab. I can guarantee that two 'yotes that size would have been a lot more than he weighs, but I really should have put him on a scale before he was hung and skun. He was flat out hard to lift!

BudMan,

Where do you shoot most of your coyotes? Being in northern MN might make 40-pounders more common.

Well , I'll just say that most of the ones we shoot are in southern Minn. I seriously doubt if the yotes up north are bigger , but since we don't hunt up there I can't be positive .Of all we've taken only one 40Lbs so far . Of course we don't weigh all , just an obvious big one.I still maintain that on a scale they shrink . Just like those 250 lb bucks LOL.