• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rank your order of preference

GrumpyOldCrappie

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

some of you guys might like I should go to [PoorWordUsage] for this. but when I go fishing i fish for a meal. but I olny keep what need. I keep hammer handle pike. anything big like 25"+ range goes back. i eat manly bass and pike. i have ate bass in the dead of summer. and I have never found the meat to be soft. if I get pan fish only big enought to eat I will take them and then only a few because i hae cleaning then but love how they taste.

C&R but dont mind a meal of panfish through the ice if anything, but that only happens for me maybe once every 5 years.

Order of preference for eating...

Crappies

Sunnies

Perch(if only I cound find the big enough!)

Order of preference for catching...

Pike

Bass

Muskie

Crappie

Sunny

Walleye

Perch

Gills, Crappies, Perch, Walleye, Pike, Bullhead, White bass(surprisingly good) Bass(had it once from cold water) Sheephead(clean it right not to bad). I like to try everything atleast once, but I will never eat a carp.

95% of the time C & R (Hopefully CPR). When I do keep a meal, it's usually a meal at a time as I like fresh fish, that hasn't been frozen. I also have a tough time leaving the lake early enough to have time to clean afterwards. Nothing worse than cleaning fish til 2am, when I'm getting up again at 4.

Crappies, sunnies,perch, walleyes.

Everyone has perch listed pretty high up. I have never had it but I need to. Does it taste more like a crappie or walleye?

Perch is a member of the Pike Family and close to the walleye. They are tasty and right up there with eyes for me. I don't get out and fish them much, at least not with much size, but when you get into them with size, they are a great fish.

smoked carp are actually not too bad...

I think its just knowing what they eat and the fact they are carp. I would be more than happy to try some if I knew someone that smoked them. oh and I would also like to try pickled fish too.

I do not normally keep fish during the open water. The reason is that I don't like fish entrails sitting in the garbage at home for a week when it is hot. I fish on the weekends and Friday is trash day (yuck!). The most likely reason why I'll keep fish during open water is when we're having a party -- our guests normally like fresh fish.

I do keep fish once or twice a month during the ice fishing season. I'll fish in the morning and keep enough for lunch.

I almost never freeze fish (it's been several years since I have), so I do not keep very much. I strongly prefer fresh fish and I usually don't mind going out fishing to catch a few more when I am in the mood for fish. wink

As far as preference, I don't really have a preference as far as eating the fish (perhaps I like bass the least?). I like most of the species listed above about the same. I would classify trout and salmon as 'different', but I've caught less than 15 of those in my life... so I don't really count those species.

My preference, therefore, is mostly based on the difficulty of filleting fish (with a little bit of taste preference included):

1. Walleye (easiest to fillet; tasty)

2. Crappies, sunnies, perch (more difficult to fillet because they're smaller; tasty)

3. Bass (rather easy to fillet; not as tasty).

4. Northerns (difficult to fillet; tasty)

I would imagine that I've kept just about every walleye that I've caught in Minnesota during the last three years (less than 5 fish total). I've kept maybe 5-10 bass over the same time period and probably the same amount of northern pike.

I do not normally keep fish during the open water. The reason is that I don't like fish entrails sitting in the garbage at home for a week when it is hot. .

We just put them in the freezer until garbage day.

1. Walleyes

2. Crappies

3. Bluegills

4. Northerns (they'd be higher if they didn't have so much slime and the Y bones were easier to get out.)

Everyone has perch listed pretty high up. I have never had it but I need to. Does it taste more like a crappie or walleye?

I was always told Perch are a cousin of the eye. I suppose I could be wrong. For me they are by far the best tasters (just me though and in the winter here in MN I focus on those more than any other fish. I like them because they are a firm white meat with a wonderful mild flavor. If I have the proper tools I scale em and cook with the skin on. mmmmmm..... so goood!

Also..... I forgot smelt. Smelt are awesome. I use to get enough for one or two meals back home in MI. There just don't seem to be many left anymore.