• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trout fishing in mine pits?

CrappieDays

Since eyes are done for a while I want to start Ice-fishing for trout (lake or rainbow) in some of the stocked mine pits in northern MN. Not sure where or how to start though. I am just not sure how to fish a 400' hole in the ground with no structure. Short of giving exact locations (not that I would mind) does anyone have any pointers. Lures, bait, depth, time of day, other threads on this topic, anything? Thanks in advance for the help.

I use to fish La Rue pit just outside of nashwauk, along with a few others. I won't give out any specifics, but it can be very difficult to figure out. Once ya do figure it out, though, it can be a blast. Try anywhere from 10' - 70', which can often be 20' away. Don't be afraid to try lumber areas, too. As far as bait goes, i had good luck w/ jigging spoons and waxies, in a hammered silver.

Went out yesterday eve and we will call the score Trout 1-CrappieDays 0.....Fished in 20-36' without seeing a fish. Used a vex but didn't need it. Could see bottom. Tried minnows (not designated trout lake) and waxies with jigging spoons and jigs at up to 20' under the ice. If I try the same pit again I'll try out over deeper water and see what happens. Still looking for any pointers so feel free to throw them at me.