• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18 problems?

Question

I just bought the FL-18 and found some ice tonight to try it out. I was very excited to give it a whirl beings I have have the old fl-8 for over 8 years. Well I think that I got a lemon. It works great but the only problem that I am having is that the AZ mode doesn't seem to be working right? It would be working great and than out of the blue it would decide to move the bottom to the 2 foot mark if you know what I mean by that. I could still see my jig normally but the bottom was at the 2 foot line instead of 0 like it should be. If I turned off the vex. and than turned it back on it would work good again sometimes. What is the deal with this I fished in all diff. depths and had the same thing happen. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated I hope that you understand what I mean. I think that I am going to return it and get a diff. one tomorrow.

• Answers 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

We are now ready to update most of the FL-18 units. At this time, we can only update serial numbers 187400 and under. These units can be flash programmed with the new version of software. Serial numbers above 187400 will need to have a chip replaced. These chips are being manufactured now. The serial number can be found on the back of the FL-18 unit located below the transducer and power connections.

If the serial number of your FL-18 is 187400 or under, you can send in your unit at any time.

Bring it or send it to:

Vexilar, Inc. Attn. FL-18 UPDATE
200 W 88th St. #10
Minneapolis, MN 55420-2752

When you send the unit in, please include a short note inside the box including your name, return address, and telephone or email. All you will need to send is the main "head" portion of the system. Although we will attempt to keep the service time to a minimum by making all FL-18 updates a priority, you are welcome to wait for a more convenient time for you to send your unit in.

Another notice will be posted when the chips for units above 187400 are available. This should be very soon.

Well, I had my unit updated last Tuesday and took in up to Mille Lacs this weekend. The results? 10 times worse I hate to say! 90% of the time the unit would not read the bottom correctly on the AZ side. Just like the others it would show the bottom any where's for 1ft to 3ft up from where it should. I'll have to say I really like the FL-18 but just like most other electronic devices or software devices the bugs need to be worked out. I was a really disapointed!
From the moment I turned the unit on it was not working like it should.

vextech, I bought an FL-18 that has a serial # below 187400 and have fished with it at least 15 times but have not had any of the problems in the AZ mode that others are talking about. Should I still send it in for the updated software even though mines working fine?

bic23 - This was expected in some situations. Here's what's happening. The bottom you are over is very soft on top with a very hard layer underneath. If you look at the bottom signal on the normal half of the display, you will see that you have a very broken looking bottom signal. The strongest band of red is not the leading edge of the signal, but some distance into it. The FL-18 looks at the bottom and tries to determine where the surface of it is. The AZ is designed to lock the bottom position at the strongest point of the bottom signal. In 99+ percent of the cases, this would be correct. However, in this unusual situation, it is not.

With version 2 of the FL-18 software, the AZ will never reset the bottom position. This completely solves the glitch. However, if you set up over a spot like the one here, the bottom on the AZ will never line up correctly. Here's how to fool the AZ to make the bottom line up correctly: With the FL-18 set to NORMAL, drop the Ice-Ducer way down into the hole. Now switch the unit to AZ. Then, raise the transducer up. You will see the bottom on the AZ moving downward. When the bottom lines up with the zero, set your stopper to this level.

It would be easy to say "well just have it always lock on the beginning of the bottom signal". This would be great, provided there were never any fish near the bottom when you switched to AZ. If there were, it could lock on the fish. This would result in a more serious failure that would surely prompt an angry phone call or email. The new version of software has been extensively tested in these types of soft over hard bottom situations. It is working very well.

VexTech -
The only problem I see with trying to fool the unit, like you suggested, is that the transducer could be hanging below the bottom level of the ice. This really causes a lot of problems when trying to land a fish. Also, any feedback on the folks who say the unit is worse since they had it worked on? I have been holding off until I am sure things are going to settle down smile.gif I do love this FL-18.

Thanks

Not true Raven. If you switch the unit to AZ and the real bottom shows up at, say, the 3 foot level, just drop the transducer down into the hole 3 1/2 feet. When you raise it up so the bottom lines up with zero, your transducer will be only 6 inches under the water line.

Another trick is to crank up the gain to maximum before you switch it to AZ. Then lower the gain back to your preferred level after the AZ locks on the bottom. The idea is to make the bottom signal a solid band of red before you switch to Auto Zoom.

Remember, fishing spots where the bottom will not line up correctly when you first switch on the AZ will be rare. The bottom makeup that is necessary for this to happen is very unusual.

Thanks VexTech. Appreciate the come back. I will give it a try next time it does that. It is your working with us guys that makes it great having a Vexilar. Every one that I have run into that has looked at this FL-18 has said they want one. smile.gif

What if i buy a Fl-18 this comming up fall will the problem be fixed on it or will i have to send it in to get the problem fixed?

------------------
~~Fish Stunner~~

TO ALL - We now have the chips in to fix all of the FL-18s above serial number 187400.

Send it or bring it to:

Vexilar, Inc. Attn. FL-18 UPDATE
200 W 88th St. #10
Minneapolis, MN 55420-2752

When you send the unit in, please include a short note inside the box including your name, return address, and telephone or email. All you will need to send is the main "head" portion of the system. Although we will attempt to keep the service time to a minimum by making all FL-18 updates a priority, you are welcome to wait for a more convenient time for you to send your unit in.

D-man - No. Unlike the Auto Zoom, Bottom Lock is not new technology. It is currently used in many higher end LCD graph units.

Raven - My pleasure

fishstunner - All FL-18s that come out of production from now on will have the version 2 software. However, there is always a chance a retailer will have a unit left over from this year that never got updated. I'll find out what serial number the version 2 units start at and let everyone know.

This morning I was able to make it out to Lake Phalen and try out my
FL-18 on a hard bottom lake, the unit worked Flawlessly! It’s definitely an
Improvement over version 1. I tried to make the thing fail but I was not able
Too! I’m keeping my unit even though on the soft bottom lakes it’ll take
A little more work. Nice Job!

I'll be sending in both of mine after the season is over and will be getting one more prior to the next ice season.

I have been fishing in over 36 foot of water in the bottom 8 inches and would not have even seen most of the fish I have caught this year on the 8. It is an incredible piece of engineering that has set the bar to a high level as far as deep water perch fishing on Devils Lake goes. Novices and pros alike have/will benefit from a days fishing worth this unit dispite the minor problems.

------------------
Kevin Neve's Devils Lake Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/kevin-neve-guiding/
e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 701-473-5411 or 701-351-4989
Minnewaukan ND

I just had my FL-18 updated yesterday. It took them less the 3 minutes to update the software.(my model just needed the software update, Others need a new chip) I will try the same waters I had a problem with it. I will post the results when I get back. If the storm dosen't keep me from going

This is a question for Vex Tech: I am looking at upgrading to the 18. Has VeXilar done a recall to the local retailers regarding the Version 2 update? I hate to buy one just to send it back to Vex for this change.

Vex Tech, can I use an FL-18 12 degree or 9/19 degree ducer on my LX-3? I realize I would have to splice the connector. I have been looking for an answer on this one for awhile. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Mykal (edited 01-30-2003).]

CNY Tim Check the Serial #, odds are good it is updated.

Don't look for the V-2 sticker, that was only the late ones last season. If you just bought it, it should be updated?

Most problem guys are having is not fallowing the directions or misunderstanding them to start out with.

IF..Reeds had a buttload of holdover units, the # may be an old run from early last season, I kinda doubt it though?