• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CRAPPIE ROD THOUGHTS

Question

LAST YEAR FISHING, I MET THIS FELLOW WHO HAD MADE HIS OWN ROD, BELIEVE IT WAS ABOUT 7'6FT
REAL SOFT ACTION, ANYWAYS THIS GUY WAS THROWING OUT THE LITEST TACKLE,2LB TEST,
BB SHOT, GOLD HOOK AND AND MINI THILL,
(THROWING IT OUT ABOUT 20FT FURTHER THAN ANYONE ELSE!)
ANYONE GOT ANT INSIGHT TO ANYTHING SIMILAR
THAT IS COMMERCIALLY MADE, OR HAS ANYONE TRIED ANYTHING SIMILAR AND YOUR THOUGTHS ON THIS?
MIGHT BE MY BIRTHDAY PRESENT TO MYSELF
APPRECIATE IT, HULK

3 answers to this question

I use a 9 foot ultra-light I got from Cabela's last year with 2 pound line, a bb, plain #6 or 8 hook and a mini-Thill. Used it all year for crappies and blue gills. Great rod; super soft tip. A big blue gill puts the rod tip in the water. About $50. I think it's called the crappie system. Rob will know the right name.

Someone else may know different, but before i had seen any longer rods, or seen them in catalogs, people were making them for fishing up on lake superior. Shore fishing for rainbows they found there was such a great advantage to a really long rod, to get the bait out just that much farther. They are funny looking when they are that long, if i could only fish from shore on any lake, i would get a long rod, but from a boat, my six foot couple inch rods work good because of the light line and the long stroke spools available today. When i take someone fishing i pretty much insist that they use my pole, cause i stay out from where i am fishing, and their heavy shorter rods with heavy line just wont reach as far. Definately an advantage to not spook the fish in shallower water.

Thanks, I got the new Cabela's spring catalog
closet I see on page 26 is a 7 footer #cls702 spinning or page 27 a 11'6 steelhead
rod which might be fun, it also give me a reason to head up to Duluth and try a different type of fishing. still got a little to time to look around, maybe stop by Thorne Bros. and see if they have any suggestions, thanks for your replies, I'll still be heading down to Owatonna, I got a ten dollar coupon off anything over 50 bucks, hulk
P.S. DEWNOBAD NICE TO HEAR FROM YA,

I DID MAKE IT OUT TO THE FOREST LAKE FISHING CONTEST,BUT NOT HOW I THOUGHT I MIGHT
ABOUT 6AM I WAS DRILLING HOLES FOR THE FOREST LAKE SOCCER CLUB, BY 930 WE WERE DONE FIGURTIVLY AND PHYSICALLY, FOR A GOOD CAUSE
750 BUCKS WENT TO THE SOCCER CLUB,