• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy in the Spring???

slayer21

Depending on what season you're hunting. Within the first 4 weeks, a gobbler decoy will yield good results.

Later season, I would avoid using a B-mobile or Pretty Boy Tom decoy. If you get a gobbler to come in who's been beat up all spring long from dueling with other birds, he's less likely to enter a confrontation with what appears to be a dominant bird.

I usually will use a Jake with a couple hens. But my Buckwing Jake decoy that I have has also scared other birds out of the field after they see him because the head is painted as bright as a mature gobblers head.

I purchased a B mobile Tom at a auction this winter to go along with my other decoys that I have gather up over the years but, I was told not to use him unless I'm sure, another big guy is running around otherwise, I will scare off the young toms. Any thoughts to that?

That's the beauty of the B-Mobile, just use a jake fan instead of a full fan.

That being said, I've still had great luck with a full decoy spread including a big tom even later than E season. Let them tell you what they like.

The birds in my area seem to also relate to the coloration of the head which doesn't adjust as easily as the tail. When the birds come out with a bright red head, often times it's a jake who's a little shy about stepping out if there might be a tom in the area. The coloration of the head of the birds to me is an indicator of caution/danger (Red) or flat out full strut mode (Red/white/blue).

But you're absolutely right Don, let the birds tell you what they like.

We have been hunting down by Rochester in the last 3 seasons for 16 years. We kept on having turkeys come into the dekes and skirt around them about 70 yards out. So 4 years ago we pulled the decoys and set up in a spot to call from where there was a bench or rise in the field no more than 40 yards to the side of us. What we found was the turkeys would come over that rise and check out what was making the call. When they didn't see anything they would stay relaxed and start fanning out in gun range. I don't assume to know what a turkey is thinking but my best guess is they couldn't see what was making the call because of the rise, came over to take a look and assumed the hen had walked off and was around somewhere. This has been super successful for us since we have been doing this.

I do agree with the guys above that in the earlier seasons decoys work better.

We also have had the best luck in the afternoon.

Welcome to FM PostFrontal.

I think you're right on with your observation on your local flocks. More experienced birds will wait for the rest of the flock to come to them, thus the standing on the rise in the field to see "who's" calling. Once they have a visual of a live bird or decoys, they may be more content to stay put.

Sounds like you've got them figured out.