Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
O2Fish

Nils cover

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone found any other cover that will work for the Nils? I cannot stand that crappy yellow thing. I feel like I am damaging the blades every time I put it on....and then it falls off.

Would the cold snap covers work?

I've been using the rubber scrubber a little different and the cover has been staying on. So the snubber is folded where it goes through the two holes. Instead of that pull the snubber through so you have one long end and a short end. With cover on, the long end goes into the two slots that the knobs would normally end up at. It then continues back to where you started. You'll need to situate the cover so the fasten/knob spot is at a low point of the blade.

I just sent a blade to be sharpened by Surface Tension.. It came the way he described.. Looks like it will work a heck of a lot better.. frank can you take a pict?

Yeah a picture would be awesome! I also have a blade that might need sharpening. Do they get dull even if you cant notice or feel that it is dull?

I have used a 8" Jiffy cover and it works good. I hate those Nils covers just like everyone else. The yellow Jiffy covers with the balck rubber band on the outside looks like it may work as well. I havent tried it though.

The cold snap cover will not work. Dan at cold snap is currently working on a cover that will work on a nils. He is also working on a cover for strikemaster.

The only thing I never liked on the Nils is it's cover and asked many times over the years if snap on had come up with their own version yet but so far they haven't . Your idea Surface tension sounds like the ticket so thanks for the tip and Northlander I'm going to try yours too . Thanks .

My rubber strap on the blade I am sending in to be sharpened gave up the ghost quite some time ago because of the constant battle putting it on everytime and I have now got a bungee on it but it's not the way either .

TD

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Note how the cover is situated on the blade.

NilsCover.jpg

i like the magnet idea someone mentioned awhile back...put a couple little magnets on the bottom of the cover that hold it right on the metal....haven't tried it yet but it sounds like the way to go...just pop on and pop off.

A magnet would have to be glued on the cover some how and I cant think of anything that would hold it on in the cold. It would also have to be a very strong magnet to hold the cover on when being bumped around in a ice house travel behind a sled etc.

i have some pretty mean epoxy i've used for similar things that holds up pretty well in the cold...you could use two magnets one on each end would hold it in place just fine.

If you do ita nd get it to work Ill send all 6 of my covers to ya for a custom job. Seriously!

I tell ya what Neodymium magnets are super strong. We use them at work all the time. A guy could could drill out a few holes and press fit them in then add a little epoxy.

The things are amazingly strong. Now I'm going to have to try it. wink

Well, the magnets worked too good. smirk

The bond between the magnet and the cutting head was stronger than the two part epoxy. I never would’ve expected that.

Those magnets are super strong. In fact I had a couple of them separated on my kitchen counter and they got too close to each other and came together so hard that one of them shattered.

I will have to try something a little different for Rev B

I threw my original cover away, recycled I think. I use the Otter Ice Shield. It may be a bit overkill because it covers way more than just the blade but I haven't run after a blade cover blowing in the wind since I got it! Plus it is black and many times ice buildup melts away in between drilling sessions.

I still just don't have issues with the cover. There's only one way that it goes on right though. I've never had it fall off. Sometimes it's a little sticky getting it off though.

Same here borch. Put an x on the auger cover and one on the auger shaft. Match the x's up and never a problem.

good idea tonkapat.

Since it goes on one way, I have a 50% chance of getting it right the first time, but it seems like half the time I put it on wrong.

grin