• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Different Question

Far-I

I don't actively target muskies very often. When i have I have used friends equipment.

I don't take many trips to the ocean, but when i do i rent a surf rod to fish.

I believe my friends use rods around 7 or 8 feet for muskie.

I'm looking at getting a surf rod. I'd like to get a 10' for more distance, but would buy a smaller 8 or 9 if i could maybe use it for muskies as well.

it'd be a spinning rod i guess. is this a dumb idea to try to get one rod that would work good for both situations. i know that in muskie fishing the guys sometimes have a lot of play next to the boat, which would be harder on too long of a rod.

any ideas?

Problem is you're going to have trouble throwing musky baits on a long spinning outfit. I'd recommend combing the various websites buy/sell/trade boards for a cheap setup - there's plenty out there - and probably renting your surf gear still.

Quote:
it'd be a spinning rod i guess. is this a dumb idea to try to get one rod that would work good for both situation

first, theres no such thing as a dumb idea if you look before you leap. answer. truthfully you need a rod/reel set up for muskie to have the best chance at landing one. hooksets with spinning gear with muskie lures is pretty much not gonna happen. just not enough back bone to drive the hooks home. MH power fast action or better, muskie specific construction. as stated lures for muskie are hard on rods. i'd add... even if they are built for them. learn to use a casting reel if you don't know. you won't be sorry. are you a trout man?

hooksets with spinning gear with muskie lures is pretty much not gonna happen. just not enough back bone to drive the hooks home.

I'll have to disagree with you totally on this one. The heaviest rod I have is a custom 8' spinning rod for muskies. This rod is a custom made by Thorne Brothers using a heavy G-Loomis muskie blank. I have no problem setting hooks in the toothy critters. I think sharp hooks are most critial for proper hook-sets than anything else. I also use 80 lb Spiderwire spooled up on a 5000 series Shimano Sustain on this rod. Concerning rod types, I will say that my arm can get tired when casting double-10's all day. I'm sure it's the same fatigue someone using a bait-caster expieriences. However, using a heavy 10' surf-casting rod to cast 5-8 oz. muskie lures all day... I don't know about that! Those in-shore rods can get quite heavy. You would probably dis-locate your elbow or shoulder.

I think the answer to your question is pretty straight forward- it'll be tough to get one rod to serve both purposes.

Also, I have to agree with steffan- I've also to a spinning rod for muskies and it's got plenty of beef to drive home a rock solid hook set. I primarily use it for fishing jigs, but I've got a few other lurs I pitch with it too. It was plenty of rod to land a 51 on last Summer!

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you totally on this one. The heaviest ......Also, I have to agree with steffan- I've also to a spinning rod for

i stand corrected. i never found one i thought worked good enough for me so i just gave up looking. the custom deal sounds like a winner of an idea. and spinning gear does work better for jigs IMO, among other vertical presentations. i'll have to do some looking now and SPEND MONEY!!! THANKS A LOT GUYS!!! YESSSSS!!! grin ... the economy is back in business now. cool

Sorry, Don... didn't mean to make you a potential convert! Lonnie over at TB sure gave me a strange look when I went there and asked him what I was looking for. Seriously now, the spinning set-up really shines when it comes to burning in-line bucktails, especially double-8's. It is not the best set-up for large plastics like Bulldawgs, but it does work. There is an upper limit to the weight I can cast. If I try to throw out a Mag-Dawg, it would be similar to trying to toss out a boot- I would probably cast farther if I threw a pounder out like a football!

Quote:
Sorry, Don... didn't mean to make you a potential convert!

lol, no worries. i'll try a commercial option first if i can find the right rod. like a EH,FA, 8'0". it's been so long since i looked i really don't think the option was there when i stopped. mainly for my 2-4 ounce jigs, zip-it's, current fishing spinners and a couple more other options where vertical drops would be easier or a better presentation with more control. basicly like i'd fish a walleye/crappie/smaller cat/smallie,the sturge but with bigger lures. i'll still use old trusty for casting lures.