Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Far-I

Different Question

10 posts in this topic

I don't actively target muskies very often. When i have I have used friends equipment.

I don't take many trips to the ocean, but when i do i rent a surf rod to fish.

I believe my friends use rods around 7 or 8 feet for muskie.

I'm looking at getting a surf rod. I'd like to get a 10' for more distance, but would buy a smaller 8 or 9 if i could maybe use it for muskies as well.

it'd be a spinning rod i guess. is this a dumb idea to try to get one rod that would work good for both situations. i know that in muskie fishing the guys sometimes have a lot of play next to the boat, which would be harder on too long of a rod.

any ideas?

Problem is you're going to have trouble throwing musky baits on a long spinning outfit. I'd recommend combing the various websites buy/sell/trade boards for a cheap setup - there's plenty out there - and probably renting your surf gear still.

Quote:
it'd be a spinning rod i guess. is this a dumb idea to try to get one rod that would work good for both situation

first, theres no such thing as a dumb idea if you look before you leap. answer. truthfully you need a rod/reel set up for muskie to have the best chance at landing one. hooksets with spinning gear with muskie lures is pretty much not gonna happen. just not enough back bone to drive the hooks home. MH power fast action or better, muskie specific construction. as stated lures for muskie are hard on rods. i'd add... even if they are built for them. learn to use a casting reel if you don't know. you won't be sorry. are you a trout man?

hooksets with spinning gear with muskie lures is pretty much not gonna happen. just not enough back bone to drive the hooks home.

I'll have to disagree with you totally on this one. The heaviest rod I have is a custom 8' spinning rod for muskies. This rod is a custom made by Thorne Brothers using a heavy G-Loomis muskie blank. I have no problem setting hooks in the toothy critters. I think sharp hooks are most critial for proper hook-sets than anything else. I also use 80 lb Spiderwire spooled up on a 5000 series Shimano Sustain on this rod. Concerning rod types, I will say that my arm can get tired when casting double-10's all day. I'm sure it's the same fatigue someone using a bait-caster expieriences. However, using a heavy 10' surf-casting rod to cast 5-8 oz. muskie lures all day... I don't know about that! Those in-shore rods can get quite heavy. You would probably dis-locate your elbow or shoulder.

I think the answer to your question is pretty straight forward- it'll be tough to get one rod to serve both purposes.

Also, I have to agree with steffan- I've also to a spinning rod for muskies and it's got plenty of beef to drive home a rock solid hook set. I primarily use it for fishing jigs, but I've got a few other lurs I pitch with it too. It was plenty of rod to land a 51 on last Summer!

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you totally on this one. The heaviest ......Also, I have to agree with steffan- I've also to a spinning rod for

i stand corrected. i never found one i thought worked good enough for me so i just gave up looking. the custom deal sounds like a winner of an idea. and spinning gear does work better for jigs IMO, among other vertical presentations. i'll have to do some looking now and SPEND MONEY!!! THANKS A LOT GUYS!!! YESSSSS!!! grin ... the economy is back in business now. cool

Sorry, Don... didn't mean to make you a potential convert! Lonnie over at TB sure gave me a strange look when I went there and asked him what I was looking for. Seriously now, the spinning set-up really shines when it comes to burning in-line bucktails, especially double-8's. It is not the best set-up for large plastics like Bulldawgs, but it does work. There is an upper limit to the weight I can cast. If I try to throw out a Mag-Dawg, it would be similar to trying to toss out a boot- I would probably cast farther if I threw a pounder out like a football!

Quote:
Sorry, Don... didn't mean to make you a potential convert!

lol, no worries. i'll try a commercial option first if i can find the right rod. like a EH,FA, 8'0". it's been so long since i looked i really don't think the option was there when i stopped. mainly for my 2-4 ounce jigs, zip-it's, current fishing spinners and a couple more other options where vertical drops would be easier or a better presentation with more control. basicly like i'd fish a walleye/crappie/smaller cat/smallie,the sturge but with bigger lures. i'll still use old trusty for casting lures.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Actually, you just chose not to.

• I've had a Marcum camera for many years and have found it extremely educational.  When I take new anglers on the ice, they love watching the fish.  Never had the camera spook a fish.

I used a Marcum battery-powered panner to rotate the camera, and that helps identify my lure.  However, you also have to be pretty confidant with the depth of your jig, so that it will show up on the camera.

I've found the camera of limited value during the summer, because it's constantly moving up and down, and a little side to side.  Even if I can find my jig, it's not for long.  What I use the camera for during soft water season is to identify bottom structure and get a general idea what's down there.  

During hard water season, I use it primarily to see bites before they happen.  Not only do I know exactly what's near or looking at my jig, but I can see when they're actually going after it.  I have pulled the hook away from fish that were obviously too small, and also been able to set the hook on a bite before I could feel it.

I love my flasher, but I have out-fished buddies with my camera.

• $750 this week only or it gets winterized

• Yaggie takwes top honors this week beating our points leader by three points. Yaggie's team finished 1st, 6th, 7th, and 13th earning him 379 points for the week and his thrid weekly win of the year. 379 points is also yaggies top score of the year and the third highest score of all the teams for the year. Congrats on a great week Yaggie!

yaggie   379
      Fishin-Novice   376
      BlackLundPro   334
      Huckfin   329
      gregg52   309
      88fan   304
      fishing star   297
      Rip_Some_Lip   297
      SwivelDigger   292
      musky999   269
      juneau4   263
      mnwildman   263
      Jar Jar   261
      jwhjr   259
      cat-man   235
      Airjer   234
      Moose   149

Total Points

1     Fishin-Novice   7,929
      2     musky999   7,921
      3     gregg52   7,910
      4     Rip_Some_Lip   7,748
      5     jwhjr   7,698
      6     yaggie   7,575
      7     mnwildman   7,569
      8     88fan   7,504
      9     Huckfin   7,447
      10     Jar Jar   7,357
      11     BlackLundPro   7,348
      12     fishing star   7,341
      13     Airjer   7,298
      14     SwivelDigger   7,267
      15     cat-man   7,231
      16     juneau4   7,188
      17     Moose   6,622
    • Got my Helix 5. Now just need to get my sled out of storage and figure out where to mount it.

• Actually, you just chose not to.
    • I've had a Marcum camera for many years and have found it extremely educational.  When I take new anglers on the ice, they love watching the fish.  Never had the camera spook a fish.   I used a Marcum battery-powered panner to rotate the camera, and that helps identify my lure.  However, you also have to be pretty confidant with the depth of your jig, so that it will show up on the camera.   I've found the camera of limited value during the summer, because it's constantly moving up and down, and a little side to side.  Even if I can find my jig, it's not for long.  What I use the camera for during soft water season is to identify bottom structure and get a general idea what's down there.     During hard water season, I use it primarily to see bites before they happen.  Not only do I know exactly what's near or looking at my jig, but I can see when they're actually going after it.  I have pulled the hook away from fish that were obviously too small, and also been able to set the hook on a bite before I could feel it.   I love my flasher, but I have out-fished buddies with my camera.
    • $750 this week only or it gets winterized
    • Yaggie takwes top honors this week beating our points leader by three points. Yaggie's team finished 1st, 6th, 7th, and 13th earning him 379 points for the week and his thrid weekly win of the year. 379 points is also yaggies top score of the year and the third highest score of all the teams for the year. Congrats on a great week Yaggie! yaggie   379 Fishin-Novice   376 BlackLundPro   334 Huckfin   329 gregg52   309 88fan   304 fishing star   297 Rip_Some_Lip   297 SwivelDigger   292 musky999   269 juneau4   263 mnwildman   263 Jar Jar   261 jwhjr   259 cat-man   235 Airjer   234 Moose   149   Total Points 1     Fishin-Novice   7,929 2     musky999   7,921 3     gregg52   7,910 4     Rip_Some_Lip   7,748 5     jwhjr   7,698 6     yaggie   7,575 7     mnwildman   7,569 8     88fan   7,504 9     Huckfin   7,447 10     Jar Jar   7,357 11     BlackLundPro   7,348 12     fishing star   7,341 13     Airjer   7,298 14     SwivelDigger   7,267 15     cat-man   7,231 16     juneau4   7,188 17     Moose   6,622
    • Got my Helix 5. Now just need to get my sled out of storage and figure out where to mount it.
    • Now that's funny.  I chose not to answer a ignorant question that an elitist like yourself could care less the answer to.  The only reason you want an answer to that question is to spend the next week trying to find some ignorant reason he/she is a bad choice. #rentfree
    • But you couldn't articulate who your favorite Trump picks for justices were, or why.
    • Many of the resorts / cabins where I stay on weekend fishing outings do not have a fish cleaning house. I also do not like the smell of dead fish from the cleaning process in my home. My wheel house is a fishing shack only, non-sleeper, which I take off the ice each night. It has both A/C and propane heat so I usually plug it into an AC outlet at night.   I decided to build a retractable / drop-down fish cleaning table 17” x 48” up and out of the way while on the ice and a warm place to clean fish. I use clear news print between the my fish cleaning board and the table to eliminate the need to wash the table every time I use it. Functionally works well, still needs some finish touches, paint, stain, rust treatment. I can also see many uses for this table while on the Ice. Fish Cleaning Table.mp4
    • Big win for the team today. Not many folks thought they would go into Carolina and leave 3-0. If this offense can get their sh$t together this may be a fun year. Defense is the real deal.
  • Our Sponsors