• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planer boards?

Fishing_Novice

I was thinking of maybe trying to use planer boards this summer. What brand do you guys or gals use and what are some setups that you use. I have read that some people use lead core and others use snap weights to get down. If there is a good book out there please let me know the name of it and where I could get it.

I think I have everything I need to get started but the planer boards, line, and snap weights.

Any advice would be great!!

Thanks,

if you are handy with tools you can make your own boards, there is a set on a different web site. wlsta.org. click on the links forum and go to the bottom of the page. never used leadcore, just add inline sinkers about six ft in front of the lures.

Thanks for the reply. I should have stated what species of fish I would be going after. Walleyes are my choice. I like the site that you directed me to. Are those planer boards on that site to big for walleyes, I was thinking of smaller boards but I have a lot to learn.

I use the Off Shore planer boards (Yellow OR-12) with the snap weights. (OR-20 for the kit) No Leadcore need If you buy the Off Shore, spend a little extra and get the Tattle-Tale flag kits also. Makes a big difference in detecting strikes. Also, if you plan on pulling Crankbaits, purchase a copy of the Trollers Bible. It'll take a lot of the guess work out of how deep each crank bait runs.

Cabelas or Gander should have everything you need.

Good Luck.

Beak

Offshore boards are the best in my opinion. I would upgrade the clips if you plan on using braided line however.

Leadcore line has it's place but with the deep running cranks that are available now you can long line down to 30ft without clip ons or leadcore.

Leadcore is consitent and can be used at any depth. It isn't necessarily just for deep open water trolling. Unless you are planning to troll alot of open basin stuff, I wouldn't worry about lead core and snap weights right now. Go out and learn the basics and then you can move up and spend more money on weights and line. smile

"Ace"

Ace guide service.

Thanks for all the great advice. I looked at those Offshore boards but I thought I would ask questions on this site before I spent the money.

I plan on trying them on Mille Lacs and LOTW this summer. I might even try them on Lake Kabekona by Leach Lake on opener.

I also use Offshore Boards and Tattle Flags, with the upgraded clips.

Boards definately have their time and place, although I'm not sure there will be a good trolling bite going on the opener. Boards will probably be better later in the summer when it's warmer and the fish move off the shorelines.

The book they're referring to is called Precision Trolling, it gives you depth information for crankbaits and has a lot of good info on trolling techniques, etc.

The only reason I was thinking of trying them on opener was that the lake we fish is very clear and the walleyes get spooked by the boat when we troll. I was thinking this technique would get my lure away from the boat. I have read that they do work better later in the year but can work early if the presentation is slow. That's why I was thinking of using lead core or snap weights to get the bait down into the strike zone. I do have a lot to learn so the worst thing that may happen is I gain some knowledge of this technique so it will be easier on other trips out. (Practice,Practice,Practice)

I like the el cheapo yellow birds, but I do spring for the osprey releases. I use them trolling with cranks (no weights) or on lake Michigan with spoons (in line weights ahead of the spoon).

That's what I get and they work great for trolling cranks on the river.

Fishing Novice- your mind set is good! Thinking outside the box often wins out over standard thinking/fishing/rigging. Planner boards can be used in so many different ways with the general basis still being the same: to get the line out away from you!

The clear water example is a good one. On a night of social fishing (six people in the boat) the only way for me to not get a tangle was to run a board way out. Guess who was the only one to catch fish?(Caught about 15 that night!) Just think if we would have all run boards and nothing out back?? BTW, this was around May 18th!

How about if you dont have a boat? Good way to check out that hole in the middle of the river from shore..

Does anyone use these in the Southwest Minnesota area? Just wondering how everyone has done with them in that area.

We use them alot depending on the lake and the amount of traffic. They're a good way to get your baits away from the boat in the shallow water down here.

I use the church walleye boards. I like the way they are attached to the line, it is much easier to attach and release them when fishing, makes a big difference on doubles, triples IMHO. You also don't need to change out snaps etc. they work great right out of the box. They also have a movable weight on the bottom that allows you to adjust them if you were putting out something with a ton of weight on it such as ten colors of lead core. I use them on Lake Michigan for salmon but mainly on local lakes for eye's.

Those church boards do look nice. I like the fact you don't need to upgrade the clips. Also, there is only one clip needed per board because of there different conection through the board. I'm still undecided as to which brand to purchase but I sure do appreciate all the advice from everyone.

Do the church boards only come in the color red? It would be nice if they came in a brighter color.

With Mn law that you can't use more then one line on open water I find it unnessary to use planer board. If I have two other fisherman in the boat with me while trolling I will set one of them up with a 10 foot rod.

I do have planer boards but seldom have a reason to need my line that far from the side of the boat.

Well I have decided to go with Offshore boards based on the all the responses here. They do cost a bit more but I'm sure I will be happy with them.

I do have a few questions about the clips. Almost everyone said that I should upgrade the clips. Is is necessary to upgrade both clips on each board? or do I only need to upgrade one of them? If I only need to upgrade one of them, which clip should I upgrade...the front clip or the back clip?