• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Time Making Jerky

I have used the High Mountain stuff and have liked it. I started with the pepper blend and liked it. 2 batches so far. On batch #2 I added some additional fresh coarse-ground pepper to heat it up.

You can buy a variety pack at many stores too. Then you can find out which flavor you like the best. I like to add some liquid smoke to some of the pepper blends, and some pepper to the hickory blends.

If you have straight ground venison use that. If it aready has fat added you will need to blot the jerky dry in it's final moments of dehydrating. smile Good luck and good eatin'!

If you are going with name-brands and not homemade recipes, I would suggest getting one of those sampler packets when starting out. I used the Hi-Mountain brand and it came in 5 different flavors. My group liked the cracked pepper and garlic the best and the original after that. What's nice about getting the sampler pack is that you get to try a whole range of flavors for minimal $$$, and you're not stuck with something that makes jerky for 25 lbs. of meat if you don't like it.

So im going to use the Hi Mountain seasoning, I found them on the web and found a place to buy it, I do not have a dehydrator, so I will be making this in my regular stove/oven.

From what I have heard and read, I put my strips in for around 6 hours at 160 degrees. Some have said I can put them on a cookie sheet, others reccomend the screen thing. What have you guys done as far as cooking temp/time and what to place on?

My venison burger has some beef added to it, but it is still extremely lean.

I have tried many different brands of seasoning and found that I like the backwoods seasoning the best. I use it in both hickory and mesquite. Both taste great. I also made some pepper jerky in the cabelas brand last time. I was very happy with the way that turned out as well.

I have a big dehydrator, I keep the temp at 155 degrees. It has hot spots, so some jerky is done in 4 hours and some in 8 hours. The bulk is done in about 6 hours though.

If you get the HM seasoning it will say in there not to use a sheet, plus they have excellent instructions.

I always use my oven, and a couple of screens. I turn the oven down as low as it goes...I can't remember off hand what it is, somewhere around 170-165. I also crack the door open just a little with a little ball of tinfoil to give the moisture a place to escape. It does take a few hours, but I don't think I've ever gone 6 before. It seems, for my preference, I go an hour or so after the recommended time in the HM directions. I like mine a little drier, I guess. Keep checking until it's done how you like it.

Oh yeah, you can take that bottom oven rack and put a layer of tinfoil over it and slide it in the bottom slot in your oven. It'll make clean up a lot easier if you happen to have any drippage. And it sounds like you will if you have some beef mixed in there. Good luck!

I second the Backwoods stuff very good. I also shredd some cheese if doing ground meat and add to the mixture makes for some good eating. some of the cheese bubbles out but really doesnt matter to me or anyone who has eatin it. If done in the oven watch the temp your not cookng the meat just dehydrating.

Well i made 3 flavors, i had 14lbs of burger. Took me all weekend! Went with the original, the peppered, and the hickory smoked. I like the hickory smoked and the peppered the best. The first batch i did i was unsure of how done it was but the batches after that turned out just right. I learned to crack the oven door with tinfoil & cover the bottom of the oven(thanks 89bronco) I cooked at 200 for about 2 hours, pulled it out at 1-1/2 hours to dab it dry with paper towels and put back in for another 1/2. that seemed to work well

Thanks everyone for the info!