• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weighting a Sledge

HugoBox

I used a Sledge a lot last year with pretty good results. I like the weighted version much better than the unweighted version. I hung a bell sinker on the front hook holder but it seemed to mess the action up a bit (maybe that's a good thing). I remember RK saying that he has weighted Jakes with oil before - wondering if that would work for a sledge? I also thought of the weight system you can get be didn't think it would work as well in hollow plastic as it would in wood. Fortunately the cost to get another weighted one isn't too much but I figured it I could rig one I already have so to use more I may as well.

Any thoughts?

thanks - erik

Erik,

Funny you should mention this- I'm going to weight a couple sledges in the next week or so. I did quite a bit of snooping and the three best/most appealing options that I found are: 1) bell sinker method you already mentioned, 2) oil weighting you mentioned, and 3) solder around the hooks.

I decided to do a combo of both #'s 2 and 3. I'm going to oil weight the sledge and have spare hooks with solder wraps to weight it even further if I want to. I'll have a moderate rise after I oil weight it (I'd like to slow it down to about half the speed the unweighted ones float up), but I'll have a slower rise with the weighted hooks.

no the weight system wouldn't work UNLESS your willing to permanently affix it with Devcon 2-Ton Epoxy and use only one size weight. the screw rivet nut is a hollow tube and will leak through otherwise. but without some in depth reconstruction it's probably your ''best'' option i know. you can try susspend strips maybe. that's alot of strips but it may work if you can keep them concentrated in the area the weight needs to be and still get enough on to match the amount of weight needed. or you could do it completly ghetto and pound out a solid sinker like a lindy and epoxy/screw it to it. or like you said. just get another one. hope this helps

oil? where's this post? i missed that one. sounds interesting.

Does the sledge perform better in calmer conditions with a faster retrieve?

When I've thrown mine during wavier conditions, I can't get the good side to side flash. I have the non weighted 9 inch. Using a 6/9 jerkbait rod. HS 6400

Also, online research shows it to be a good high speed trolling bait. curious if what if any alterations to leader and swivels are preferred.

I would be leary of weighting a jerkbait with oil. The oil sloshing back and forth will give you a very unpredictable action. That could be very good, but if you are trying to duplicate the action of a weighted Sledge I don't believe that will do the trick.

If bell sinkers of solder on the hooks don't give you what you are after and you wanna get serious you could use some expandable foam and some egg sinkers or the screw in weight system.

Drill a couple holes and fill the bait with expandable foam. Then play with weight position until you get the action you are after. Once you have the right location(s) secure the weights in place.

Tinkering is a lot of fun, but in this case I think I'd buy another bait. whistle

ok. so whats with the oil? drill a hole put oil in for weight and plug it back up?

Yep, zactly. It works great and allows you to get a slow rise, slow fall, or neutrally boyant bait. It's kinda cool.

I REALLY don't like the super fast rise of the unweight sledge, so I'll try weighting mine and see what happens.

I would be leary of weighting a jerkbait with oil. The oil sloshing back and forth will give you a very unpredictable action. That could be very good, but if you are trying to duplicate the action of a weighted Sledge I don't believe that will do the trick.Tinkering is a lot of fun, but in this case I think I'd buy another bait. whistle

I agree with you 100% on both points above. I'm kind of interested in seeing how the oil would affect a jerkbait. Either way I rarely throw the unweighted version as it REALLY rises fast so I guess I wouldn't be out much if I wreck it. Also, they only cost $12 so getting a new one won't exactly kill a guy either.

Quote:
Also, they only cost $12 so getting a new one won't exactly kill a guy either.

lol, tell that to a walleye/bass angler and you might get some funny looks, huh? crazy

yeah, the oil thing is interesting for sure. it always amazes me what we do to get that ''edge''. i have a couple jake blanks, maybe i'll try one and see what's up. hmmmm, now to decide 10 w 40, 5 w 40, 5 w 30, 40 weight. do you think used oil might work? grin ... i'm kidding. vegetable oil right?

Quote:
It really doesn't matter, as long as it won't freeze

ok. i'm thinking it needs to be slightly runny so it at least moves in colder weather. and not be harmfull to the enviroment in case of a misshap like the lure breaking, stump, line snap. you know the drill wink. plenty of safe oils out there i can use. thanks.

Quote:
and not be harmfull to the enviroment in case of a misshap like the lure breaking, stump, line snap. you know the drill

i say that and wonder if when i start my motor and run it if it's any better. i'm thinking as much of legality as anything else i guess.

i say that and wonder if when i start my motor and run it if it's any better. i'm thinking as much of legality as anything else i guess.

Maybe some good scotch would be the way to go -- wouldn't freeze and then I'd also be able to turn a $12 lure into a $25 one. wink