Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickelfarmer

What ever happened??????

43 posts in this topic

What ever happened to the good old days??

I used to walk home off the school bus over half a mile (Not because I had to but because I wanted to) and nobody asked any questions? I was always able to play where ever when ever I wanted to,no questions asked. What the heck changed??????????????? Its really sad the way our little ones are growing up now a days. I'd like to have that one back if you know what I mean.

Teach them to HUNT,FISH, and Enjoy the outdoors maybe someday we will get it all back... I Don't know,but I hope so.

It hasn't changed for our family. It's happening. My wife and I do things outdoors, as a result, so does our kid. These pics are of my daughter, who just turned two in October.

Fishing for walleyes on Birch Lake last June:

dscn0176.jpg

Picking(actually she was doing more eating) blueberries in July:

dscn0242.jpg

Trolling for rainbows in August:

dscn0345.jpg

Ice Fishing for brook trout two weeks ago (she did her dad proud in this picture):

dscn0536e.jpg

Metro growth and population concentration. I as kid growing up in southern MN daily went fishing after football practice, ice fishing after basketball and pheasant hunting after baseball. We also "played" ditch, smear the queer, etc.,. I look at my neighbors who "grew" up in the metro and it's "not a concern" to be in the outdoors. This will only fuel the disinterest in it.

It is funny though how they always comment on us riding our wheelers or packing up the boat to go away. Cities are also getting more bitchy about people parking their "toys" in the driveways, again leading to a decline in the participation.

Unfortunately I think it will only get worse and worse, as we continue to raise kids in this new kind of "home" only environment. Like I've always said and found funny..Shakopee will get 500 kids to sign up for soccer but you'll never see kids in the backyards or "streets" playing soccer. Fortunately us FM'ers will just have more space to play and enjoy, as long as the city do-gooders stop banning us!!

Streets are anymore. I grew up in ND and the kids still run around like that to a point. Keep in mind that we didn't have video games and computers to keep us in the house either. I don't see any kids out sledding or anything when I'm out driving around. It's sad you have to force your kids to go outside and play. And even when they do, they have to stay in a fenced yard for safety.

How much of it is that parents are home anymore either...

My daughter just move back with her children. When my grandson came home from school one day, he asked about the family living 5 houses down from us. Neither my wife or I could answer him as to what kind of family they were. I thought I had been there one time a couple of years ago when they had a garage sale, but that was it. So even in my own neighborhood, I don't know what the families are like.

My children grew up outdoors, in the '80s, but even my daughter has said that what they did, she can't allow her children to do.

The good thing is, given their choice, they would rather be outdoors then inside, and they do know what fishing is about.

I was born in '84, and growing up I was always outside, summer, fall spring and winter. i'd take off on my bike and not come home until 5:00 (thats when dinner was). Granted I'm in a small town, but there was always something to do and somewhere to go.

Quote:
I don't see any kids out sledding or anything when I'm out driving around. It's sad you have to force your kids to go outside and play.

I wonder how much this plays a role?

If you think about it, not getting out of the house to interract with other kids can't be the best thing for them. When we allow them to sit inside in front of a television instead of getting involved with other children, how can they possibly ever learn to get along with other children? I can't help but wonder how much of a role this plays in not teaching children how to respect others, respect authority, and respect life in general.

Bob

When I was young as soon as you could ride a bike you were all over town. Yes it was a small town but there were kids all over the place, tons of stuff to do. Now when I drive through that same town in the summer its like a ghost town. The parks are empty, the neighborhood football, baseball, and street hockey games we played are no more. Kind of sad really.

I think this is a silly concern that's romanticizing our youth.

Things were always better in the "good old days", right? wink

In my neighborhood, there are always kids running around, summer or winter. Our kids wore the snow in our yard down to the grass sledding, running, & generally acting like foolish kids. I see the 11 year old next door every day walking, running, skating, or biking past the house with his friends. My kids would spend most of every day outside if they weren't still a little young to leave the immediate vicinity without supervision.

I think it is a little different if you live in a bad neighborhood, as we did for a long time with our kids. But I don't think that's changed, either. People are protective of their kids in a hostile environment whether its 2009 or 1957.

Just keep in mind that our parents said the same thing about us being lazy, feckless, worthless, snot-nosed brats that they were horrified would one day rule the world...

My dad got me outside alot when i was young, whether it was football or baseball catch, frisbee, fishing, bike riding, ect.

I think how much you get your kids outside and involved at a young age depends on how much they will take to it themselves, you cant just hand them a playstation or xbox and say here, that will keep you busy. that should only be for raining or -20 degree days!

Reagan used to ask, are you better off now than 10 years ago? When he asked that, I was better off. Am I better off today than 10 years ago? That's hard to say. I have all the same things: a job, managable mortgage, quality of life and more expenses. If I can get through this year and keep that, I'll be OK.

I was the same as many of you growing up. We rode our bikes all over town after school, went fishing, played ball, went to friends houses, etc. My mom never even really asked where we were going, just had to be home by 6:00 for dinner.

Fast forward 30 years. One of my daughters is sort of a book worm. We live less than a mile from a Hennepin Cty branch library, and of course she likes to go there. Now that she's 12 we let her ride her bike there, but she has to take a cell phone and call us when she gets there, and call us when she's leaving to come home. Talk about a change for the worse!

CAN YOU SAY VIDEO GAMES! madmadmad i tried to get my kids into fishing hunting, all those type of things, even sports in school to the point they might of hated it. guess whats the first thing they do when they walk in the door! they do deer hunt though.

When our kids were growing up we never bought one. Simple fix.

pheasant hunting after baseball.

Sorry just had to ask. Isn't baseball played in spring/summer,maybe a little into fall?

When our kids were growing up we never bought one. Simple fix.

They just go over to glenn57's house and play. grin

To be honest, I think the difference from 'the old days" has less to do with video games and more to do with social problems.

Too many absentee fathers. Kids having kids.

Peer pressure and a wanting to belong.

Drugs, alcohol, poverty, 3rd, 4th, 5th generation welfare.

Section 8, high density low income housing bringing a new "culture" to the suburbs.

MTV, and rap music lyrics that glorify the gangsta lifestyle.

So called community leaders and politicians that turn a blind eye to the real problems to further their agenda and profit along the way.

No video games at home ? The kids can all go next door to single parent Susie's with the nine kids from nine different baby daddy's. They can do what they want there. Mom's never home anyway.

Kids need responsible fathers that are involved in their lives. That's the difference from "the old days".

(Just my 20 cents worth)

Quote:
To be honest, I think the difference from 'the old days" has less to do with video games and more to do with social problems.

I am going to add to your list parents that are more involved in themselves than their families. Many times even if Dad is there he is too into his job and other activities of his own than he is what is going on with his families.

My house is located on a city park in suburbia. My backyard has two little league diamonds, a soccer/football field, playground, hockey/pleasure rinks, sand volleyball court, tennis courts, bike trails and a sledding hill. Believe me; it's far from a ghost town out there at times. In fact the middle of January sees more action than the middle of August.

Just some observations; the organized youth activities bring out the most folks to the park in the evenings during whatever season the sport is played. But there are plenty of those impromptu "neighborhood kids games". Last fall was a great example, had a large group of kids (20+) that would meet up every weekend and some weekday afternoons for tackle football. I'm guessing all of them came from some apartments near by. It was a smorgasbord of people - white, black, tan, yellow, and even a couple of girls. It was great to see that many kids having fun outside, despite the overabundance of potty mouths.

The rinks and sledding hill seem to be in constant use, kids play on the diamonds and in the volleyball pit without adults around. One thing I've noticed about soccer, my neighborhood is pretty white breadish, but it seems as though the Asians and Indian Pakistani kids are the only ones who will get a game going that is not tied to a youth organization.

Times when the parks aren't in use? When it's brutally hot or bitterly cold. Also, the times in between youth sports seasons get slow. But there will always be kids at the playground, with or without parents.

Yes, it's also a place where the kids will just hang out and be pre-teens and teens, sneak their first smokes and get into some minor vandalism. Can't do that stuff at home with the parents around. wink But it's such a miniscule amount of kids that come to the park for trouble that I don't even worry about it.

The one thing that is very predictable, is after big televised sporting events, the wanna be's come out and play. After The Masters, here come the kids with clubs. (Please leave the drivers at home.) Wimbledon or the US Open, the courts are in constant use. Volleyball has been weird; it's peaked up and down over the years. Some summers there's constant action, other summers the kids just use the court to make sand castles.

It's not as bad as some of you make it out to be. And times were not as good as you thought they were. The child abduction rates were higher when we were growing up during the "good times", than they are during the "bad times" of today.

It's just that we've fallen victim to the media's overhyping of the dangers in the world, me included. Case in point; A few years ago a little girl was getting picked on pretty badly by a couple of boys older than her. I was tending my garden and heard enough, so I went into the park and gave the boys a good tongue lashing. The little girl asked if I could give her a ride home, and in this day and age I had to tell her that "I'm sorry but I just cannot do that". I offered her the use of my home phone, but I made sure she stayed out in front of my house while I retrieved the phone from inside. She called her folks from my driveway to come and get her. I would have liked to have given her a ride home, but I fell victim to the "what ifs". I felt good for what I did, but sad I couldn't do more. It's a strange world we live in.

So much for Duff staying out of the ODD forums.

laugh

Come on everyone, it's not solely due to video games. I had an Atari, NES, Super NES, Playstation, etc. growing up and I still found plenty of time to play baseball, soccer, football, fish, hunt, bike, pick on the neighborhood girls, build a log cabin, ski, snowboard, snowmobile, work on trucks, walk all over town, etc. I now have a Wii and I love it. IMO, it comes down to the parents and nothing more. The kids can't play the video games if the parents don't let them, plain and simple.

Good to hear Duffman. Maybe my home town is an exception or it could be the dwindeling population, a lot of the small towns seem to be shrinking these days.

grew up in Maple Grove. Graduated h.s in fall of 04'. After class my senior year we would a lot of times drive up around mille lacs to do some grouse hunting, or walleye fishing. Good clean fun, maybe had a cigar or two, but nothing real bad. Had to be home for bed by 11:00. I noticed a trend. The guys that played football, hockey, basketball, or even soccer all seemed to have their heads on straight, or at least stayed out of the hardcore drugs. The ones who didn't were the ones snortin lines of coke off the locker room benches. There's some massive pot/coccain problems in the high schools today. I'm raising my kids in North Dakota, or at least small town Minnesota when the time comes.

you guys are really funny. haha. gringrin seriosly i thought the feedback was funny. its not MY choice, if it were they would be in a landfill. you know needto make peace in da house. i to am not far from ball feilds ice rinks you name it, heck i cant get them to even go watch an amater town baseball game thats walking oh wait a minute, not for them they would need to drive, 2 blocks away. and we have one of the better town teams in the state. ok beat me up some more!!! smilegrinlaugh

I noticed a trend. The guys that played football, hockey, basketball, or even soccer all seemed to have their heads on straight, or at least stayed out of the hardcore drugs. The ones who didn't were the ones snortin lines of coke off the locker room benches.

That's funny, where I went to HS it seemed like a good percentage of the "jocks" were as bad if not worse then the "druggie" crowd.

Lots of "coke heads" and "trippers" on my schools teams!

(graduated in 94)