• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Free first come first serve camping sites

DaveZman14q

Anyone have a list or know off the top of their head some lakes that have free first come first serve camping sites? Ive been to an island on Chippewa Flowage in WI and am looking for something in MN. I hear Vermillion has some and I bleieve ive seen them on Cut Foot Sioux as well. Are there many others lakes? I have a 16.5 ft Lund tyee 90 horse so it can handle large lakes some of the time so a smaller lake would be preferable. Any suggestions would be great!

Huum? I have never been to or seen, a free state or National ran campground anywhere that was free? They all seem to have drop boxes. And I have been to some in the middle of no where that only had 2-3 sites as well as some of the bigger ones.

Huum? I have never been to or seen, a free state or National ran campground anyway that was free? They all seem to have drop boxes. And I have been to some in the middle of no where that only had 2-3 sites as well as some of the bigger ones.

Yeah, I missed the "free" part of his post. Still a pretty good deal on some nice sites smile

You can camp in state forests for free -

Camping

DNR Forestry asks all overnight campers to help protect state forests by only using designated campsites. Camping on forest lands outside of developed campgrounds is allowed with some conditions. No permit is required. If camping outside of designated areas, please practice the "leave no trace" camping ethic.

But I would call the local forest manager for the area you're going to camp in ahead of time for any restrictions.

All of the boat in sites in Voyagers are "FREE"! The only drop box is for you just to tell them who you are, and where you think you are going! It's alot of water, so you better have a good idea as to the area. All are first come . . . sheesh!

The campsites I'm refering to are very similar to the ones inside the BWCA. The ones I'm familiar with are accessible by boat or in the winter, over the ice. It is not a campground, just a campsite with a firegrate and a latrine. Maybe check out the National Forests HSOforum to find a map of these sites.