• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your 2009 Vikings QB...Sage Rosenfels????

SledNeck

Quote:
The Vikings and Houston Texans are close to completing a trade that would send quarterback Sage Rosenfels to Minnesota, according to the Houston Chronicle. The Vikings reportedly would give up a fourth-round draft choice.

This is the second year in a row the Vikings have attempted to get Rosenfels. Last year, the Vikings offered Houston a third-round pick but the talks ended when the Texans asked for a second-rounder.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Friday that he wanted someone to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting quarterback job and that if Gus Frerotte elected to return for the final season of his contract he could be the guy. However, if a trade for Rosenfels is completed that likely means Frerotte won’t be back.

Rosenfels, who is from Iowa and played at Iowa State, has one season left on his contract. He will turn 31 on March 6.

Rosenfels has been in the NFL for eight seasons, spending one season with Washington, four with Miami and three with Houston. He has started five games each of the past two seasons and went 2-3 last season. Here is Rosenfels’ bio page from NFL.com.

Rosenfels did not start in the Texans’ 28-21 loss at the Metrodome on Nov. 2, but he did replace the injured Matt Schaub in that game. He completed 21 of 29 passes for 224 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.

Rosenfels was 4-1 in his five starts in 2007 and certainly upped his value by going 3-1 in the Texans’ final four games that season. He threw seven touchdowns and five interceptions in that time. This included three touchdown passes in a 28-14 victory over Tampa Bay but two weeks later he threw three interceptions in a 38-15 loss to Indianapolis. Rosenfels lost his first three starts last season before guiding the Texans to victories over Cleveland and Jacksonville.

Even if the trade is agreed upon, it will not become official until 11 p.m. Thursday when the NFL’s new league year will begin. That also will mark the start of free agency.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I just seen that on ESPN. I don't know what to think, his completion percent was higher in a head to head with Vikes QBs, but his pick to TD ratio wasn't all that impressive. But who knows what can happen in a different uniform.

I'm not even a Vikings fan but think they would have been more competitive for the next couple years with Garcia. He's not the future but neither is a 31-year-old journeyman like Rosenfels.

Zigi should show his commitment by signing Rosenfels and then using a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB.

The Vikes surely can't be serious about Vick. They just can't. Can they?

I'd be speechless.... wouldn't know what to say, or what to think.

I just can't believe that Vick is even a remote possibility, after all the character issues this team had earlier in the decade.

I am all for giving a guy a second chance, but I honestly don't know how I'd feel about that one.

But.... talk about ticket sales!

I would welcome any of the possible QB's Rosenfels, Garcia, Cassel, Warner, Collins. But I would like Cassel but the pats would want to much for him. I would go with Garcia (he extends plays, and can run if need be). and my second choice would be Rosenfels.

Great....... another bum behind center.... cry

Gimme a B...... Gimme an O....Gimme another O......Gimme a T..... Gimme a Y...... Go Booty! shocked

Booty is a putz....he will never even be as good a quarterback as T-Jack. We were down at training camp last summer and the guy was already too important to come over and sign my 10 year olds ball for him, a complete jacka$$ if you ask me. And after watching him in practice trying to thow the ball into a net at 30 yards....well, Brooks Bollinger made the throw 3 times as many times a Booty did. He was a total waste of a pick last year IMO.

Rosenfells will come in and compete for the starting job. Not sure if it's the answer or not, but I do remember him going 21 for 29 with a passer rating of 103 (I believe) when he stepped in for Shaub in the Metrodome this past year. Cassel has already signed his one year tender and the Pats submitted the paperwork today, so it looks like he is off the market. Garcia might have been a decent choice, but not a long term solution either with his age, just a bandaid at this point. I guess if you look at it, there really is much else out there in the free agent market.

ESPN said Sunday that Vick would not even be playing in the NFL until 2010. They would use the "bad behavior" rule or whatever it is called to hold him out for the 2009 season. They also said that by then he would only be useful as a position player, not a QB.

Quote:

SportsRadio 6010 in Houston reports that the Vikings will sign Sage Rosenfels to a new three-year, $9 million deal once his trade to Minnesota is done.

The station says there is still haggling about compensation, however. The Texans want a third-rounder and Minnesota is offering a fifth. The station expects the sides to settle on a fourth, but it doesn't sound like a deal is done.

Quote:
Sage Rosenfels-QB- Texans Feb. 23 - 3:17 pm et

SportsRadio 6010 in Houston reports that the Vikings will sign Sage Rosenfels to a new three-year, $9 million deal once his trade to Minnesota is done.

The station says there is still haggling about compensation, however. The Texans want a third-rounder and Minnesota is offering a fifth. The station expects the sides to settle on a fourth, but it doesn't sound like a deal is done.

Source: SportsRadio 610 Houston

Related: Vikings

If the deal gets done, I think Rosenfels will push TJ harder than Gus did, so he will really have to step up.

Sage vs TJack for the starting job: I hope TJ proves to be the better QB and wins the job. (If for no other reason than to prove the last 3years with him haven't been a total waste.)

As usual, I've got my fingers' crossed (but I'm not holding my breath!).

They shouldnt just be looking for someone that maybe better, and that can push T-Jack, they should be looking for someone to lead this team.

I don't disagree but the choices are not great. Your options are a couple of 39 year olds (Collins and Garcia) who could break down at any time, Kurt Warner who is asking for 16 million a year, Cassel who will cost $30 million guaranteed and high picks based on one good year, or a bunch of Sage Rosenfels types. The pickings are slim or very expensive. It's a tough call. I am not sold on mortgaging the future of our salary cap or drafts for any of them.

Bears castoffs? Berrians a pretty good reciever, you are acting like he got cut. Oh, and on Thanksgiving he rented a semi truck, filled it full of turkeys he bought and had them delivered to a shelter for the poor. Seems like a great guy to me.

The Vikes must really see something in Rosenfels being this is two seasons in a row making a run at the guy. I guess I just don't get it. A career back-up with marginal stats at best. I would rather see him on our team that Gus...but I just don't think that's saying much. Not a bad move though, considering what else is actually out there.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
They shouldnt just be looking for someone that maybe better, and that can push T-Jack, they should be looking for someone to lead this team.

I don't disagree but the choices are not great. Your options are a couple of 39 year olds (Collins and Garcia) who could break down at any time, Kurt Warner who is asking for 16 million a year, Cassel who will cost $30 million guaranteed and high picks based on one good year, or a bunch of Sage Rosenfels types. The pickings are slim or very expensive. It's a tough call. I am not sold on mortgaging the future of our salary cap or drafts for any of them.

I agree, just don't believe he will be the answer. It would be really nice too see a quality QB for once.

Bears castoffs? Berrians a pretty good reciever, you are acting like he got cut. Oh, and on Thanksgiving he rented a semi truck, filled it full of turkeys he bought and had them delivered to a shelter for the poor. Seems like a great guy to me.

For cast offs I am talking about Marcus Robinson, Dewayne Bates, Bobby Wade (he came through free agency from another team but we cut him), and I am sure there are others. Berrian went to Minny for more money. Money that we used to resign Brigs.

Never said Berrian was a bad guy at all.

Oh yeah since you like our washed up receivers Booker is available. grin