• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question#6 Barbless Vs. Barbed Wisconsin 2009 CC meeting..What do you

QUESTION 6 ? Eliminate barbless hooks restriction during early trout season

Numerous scientific studies have been conducted showing that the use of barbed versus barbless hooks

has little effect on trout mortality following release. In a 1997 study published in the North American

Journal of Fisheries Management, for flies and lures combined, the average hook related mortality was

4.5% for barbed hooks and 4.2% for barbless hooks. Because natural mortality for wild trout range from

30-65% annually, the 0.3% difference in the two hook types is irrelevant at the population level, even when

fish are subjected to repeated catch and release. Most biologists agree that how deeply a fish is hooked

has more to do with mortality than what type of hook is used. Despite the scientific evidence, anglers are

required to use barbless hooks only during the early catch-and-release trout season. Elimination of that

restriction would simplify trout fishing regulations and eliminate law enforcement issues.

The use of live bait will still be prohibited during the early catch-and-release trout fishing season.

If adopted, this proposal will take effect on the first day of the month following publication in the Wisconsin

Administrative Register.

Do you support allowing the use of barbed hooks during the early catch-and-release trout

season in Wisconsin?

6. YES_______ NO_______

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/nrboard/c...naire-Final.pdf

The catch and release seasons in both Minnesota and Wisconsin are great---and they should stay barbless with single hooks only. I keep some trout during the harvest season, and I while I mostly use a fly rod, I used to fish with spinners, etc a lot.

No matter how you fish, its so much easier to unhook fish on barbless, and the number of fish lost because of a pinched barb is negligible.

I'll be out on Saturday--weather permitting.