Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big drift

Red fins on pannies

6 posts in this topic

Had an area we fished yesterday for the first time and got into some crappie. We were in 16 fow.

The funny thing was the crappie were very red in the fins and thruout the bottom of the belly to the tail.

This is what I would call a bog stained lake and I attributed the coloring to that. Then a buddy of mine mentioned oxygen depletion in the water stressing them. Just wanted to get your thoughts.

I know when minnows get red around their mouths/fins it is because of oxygen depletion/ammonia build up.

I agree with drewsky... lots of lakes that have low oxygen levels or are experiencing winterkills will produce fish with red fins.

More than likely, the fish you are catching are feeding on bloodworms. I have saw this many times from perch to bluegills and crappies. If you cut the stomach open it will look like it is full of blood. Fish short of Oxygen usually turn a whiteish color.