Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Barony

Blue Laws

55 posts in this topic

Article on the Yahoo home page about MN (and other states) exploring changing some of our current laws. There are two things you can't purchase on Sunday, a car from a dealership and a 12 pack from your favorite liquor store. I have no problem with keeping dealerships closed on Sundays, but I think it is time that we allow adults to buy beer, wine and other spirits on Sundays. When I go on vacation to other states, it amazes me the selection of alcohol that I can buy in the grocery stores on Sunday.

It's time to 1) allow grocery stores/ gas stations to sell something other than 3.2 beer and 2) open liquor stores from at least noon-8 on Sundays.

I've never understood why we can't buy liquor on Sundays right now. What was the reasoning for this law? It seems to work in other states as stated above.

It goes back to time when they deemed Church and Family more important on Sunday than being able to purchase Alcohol or purchase a car.

I don't know why so many things need to be open on Sunday. I remember working at Target as my first job when they said stores could now be open on Sundays from noon to five. That sucked.

I do head to stores on Sundays, but if nothing was open, I would just stock up on Saturday.

Yep, way back in my younger years, about the only thing open on

Sundays were the churches. I'm not sure if the gas stations were even open. Seem to remember there were some that weren't but don't remember if the owners just didn't open on Sunday or it they were required to be closed.

There are a lot of different businesses that don't need to be open on any given day. That's for the business owner to decide, not the government.

If a liquor store isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If an auto dealership isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If a grocery store isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If a hardware store isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If a gas station isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If a bait shop isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If a church isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

If I can go to work on Sunday, I should be able to buy a 6 pack, or a car, or some bolts, or go to church, or buy a toilet flapper valve on Sunday.

+2

Some states, mainly toword the east coast, you can't hunt on Sundays.

Gotta agree with you all, especially the work example. If I can put in a 10 hour shift on Sunday, I would like to be able to relax with a cool one when I get home......

Maybe MN is trying to keep us sober enough to plan ahead for our Sundays??? If you get too smashed on Sat you forget to buy beer and then suffer on Sunday. Makes you not get so messed up on Saturday???

Just kiddin +8 for me. grin

As a consumer I don't like the law, but if I owned a liquor store or even a car dealership I think I would almost be in favor of the law.

All of my competitiors are also closed, so I know that I'm not losing my business to anyone else. Most consumers plan accordingly for the day I'm closed, so I get their Sunday business...on another day of the week. I'm saving overhead costs, and allowing a day off for me and my employees.

The only problem is I'm not a business owner, so the law stinks!

At this rate this topic is going to pass the "Lets make a million " topic grin

+ for me as well

Would you drop the 10 p.m. limit too?

yep!! why not? Bars stay open tell 1 - 2 am?? I think. maybe people would go home at 11:00pm If they could pick something up on there way home???

I personally don't have a problem w/ the 10 PM close time of liquor stores. Maybe I've gotten conditioned to getting to the store before that time if I need to. If I'm out of beer by that time at home, I'm thinking I probably don't need any more!

If an auto dealership isn't open on Sunday, or any other day, that should be the owners choice and not the governments.

I agree.

I recall that auto sales on Sunday has been brought before the State Legislature several times and the Auto Dealership Association keeps opposing it. I believe that it has to do with banking being available on Sundays.

There seems to be a lot more shoppers than church goers.

It all has to do with forward thinking. I.E. planning ahead. We can't expect our leaders to look forward if we can't plan past Saturday night for Sunday. I grew up in WI and the Sunday and 8pm in the metro thing used to bother me. Well I guess I've gotten older..nah..I just plan better, but this doesn't bother me.

As far as buying a car on Sunday's I have never been in the position to pay cash for a car from a dealership so...well I think you understand because the banks will never be open on Sunday. Thank god because they would find a way to charges us for it.

As far as auto repair shops being open on Sundays well keep them closed I was angry when the first shop I worked for "explored" the idea of being open on Saturdays now you have shops open till 9pm on Sundays.

People, everyone needs time off. Right now the so called "blue laws" may just be protecting some people from having to work Sundays. Lets juts let it be and deal with it. Right now religion has nothing to do with for me. It has to do with people!

It's called forward thinking. If you want to get drunk Sunday and buy a car, well gas prices aren't that bad right now so find a state to run to.

Blah Blah Blah.

I love to get drunk but if I have to take a Sunday off..Oh Well tough p o o p y!!