• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Classic recap - stategies/presentations

Cooter

Thought it would be neat to review the techniques used by the classic guys - both those that worked and those that didn't. Maybe a review of the conditions faced and the locations and presentations thus utilized.

I was only able to watch an hour of it last night so I won't be much help here - but I know for a fact that all the bassnutz here combined didn't miss a single second of coverage!

So how bout a breakdown of say the top 5 or 10 and also some noteables that didn't make the cut?

Main thing was slowing down it seemed like. Looked and sounded like Skeet worked same 200 yard strecth over and over and over. Pre-spawn you will have fish coming in all the time. Needed to find the better areas, little nuances (1' rise or drop) and hope that you didnt have too much traffic.

Yeah, lilly pads often grow on a hard bottom, but there is ussually a layer of soft stuff on top. The root system of pads looks kind of like big tree roots with a bunch of dark spots on them. From what I have seen, bass feel really comfortable building nests right next to them. Maybe it makes them feel more safe being next to them.

I was once told by a wise man that weeds with flat leaves grow on a hard bottom.

Obviuosly there are areas where pads will grow on soft bottoms too, I don't think you really shot my "theory" down. I was just saying that many fish use these areas to spawn after they sweep their way down to the hard bottom. Ike- I'm sure it varies from area to area, but there are many times I have push the handle of the net in the water and not gone through more that 6-8" of muck on the top.

what about bull rushes/reeds? do they grow in hard bottoms too?

Hard stem bullrushes will grow in sandy/gravel bottoms. That's the only areas of our lake they are found in. Lily pads grow mostly in muck, but I have seen a few that grow into sandy areas.

I don't get it.

How can no one say. The top two finishers both threw Texas rigged dark colored tubes into Lily pad stubble on the last day. Ike had deep water nearby so he had the better spot. Thus the charge on the last day. Shallow water with quick access to deep water, That’s fishing 101 folks.

Did you not see it or do you hope no one but you saw it?

I just don't get this form. You talk about everything but how to catch Bass.

Hmmm, I know Top 5 did a little this, little of that..

Soft plastic Jerk Baits.

Swim Jigs

flipping/pitching Soft plastics and jigs

Spinnerbait

Shallow Dropshot(I was kinda hoping they wouldnt show a ton of that.. booo) LOL 8-)

Flipping and pitching soft plastics.. I think that covers tubes.. You seem really bitter Muddog? We talk about how to catch fish all the time.

Quote:
Soft plastic Jerk Baits.

Swim Jigs

flipping/pitching Soft plastics and jigs

Spinnerbait

Shallow Dropshot(I was kinda hoping they wouldnt show a ton of that.. booo) LOL 8-)

Ok I had to come back. I don't know why, but here I am.

So the " " above tells me they were fishing. The Q is "strategies/presentations". Would, get to the spot as fast as you can and catch more fish then the other guys qualify as a ligament answer. Because if it is ligament. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

In tune with that. My tip would be. Don't fish the way the pros at the classic. It is ethical to fish spawning Bass. Or so says the fishermen of Mn.

Just kidding. I'll look through the tips tomorrow and see if I have something to add.

LOL @ Muddie- You crack me up.. that was pretty funny..

But its not the Fisherman of MN who say fishing bedding bass is not ethical, its the people who make the laws... And if I were to be honest, I dont think the classic anglers were fishing bedding bass, they were fishing pre-spawn fish...

Yeah, lilly pads often grow on a hard bottom, but there is ussually a layer of soft stuff on top. The root system of pads looks kind of like big tree roots with a bunch of dark spots on them. From what I have seen, bass feel really comfortable building nests right next to them.

Lily pads are usually found in soft bottom areas. The root systems of lily pads form whats known as a rhizome under the mud. The pads shoot up vertically from these large horizontal roots. These roots are quite hard and almost look like underwater logs or tree roots as tonkabass explained. The bass actually are using these roots as the "hard bottom" they need for spawning. The bass will fan out the mud and expose these roots and bed directly on the roots.

I have always liked the chigger craw, but really can't wait to get my hands on this new version along with the mud craw???? Not sure if thats what its called but it looks similar to the chigger craw but has two more arms. Saw it on linders angling edge.