• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shallow or deep

justinlkgb

So the last few outing have come up empty handed. Leaves me wondering where to try? Is it better to be in the shallow or deeper parts of the lake? Max depth in the lake I am refering to is 38ft. I have been trying to get away from the crowds/cities, but don't catch anything.

What time of day is best for the depth..ie(shallow water during sunrise???)

Thanks for any tips.

Justin

I have been fishing very shallow, less than 4 fow under the ice and doing well on panfish. 95% of the time, those portions of the lake that are that shallow have nobody on them. Just because it is shallow, doesn't mean fish wont be there.

The fish over the deep holes have been pressured for so long all winter long. Everybody tries to fish the deep holes, but usually the fish are smaller and less active. Seek out unused water and you just might be rewarded. Edges that drop to the deep holes, expansive weed flats, shallow rocks. Give em a shot. If it doesn't work out for you, at least you didn't do the same thing you have been doing for a while and coming up empty handed. You can eliminate water each time out if you take that approach to your fishing.

Thanks, I grew up on this lake, so I am thinking i have home field adv, but no go. I am trying to target areas around 10-15 feet or so where a I can remember weeds growing in the summer. Maybe I will try on top of them or shallower rather than the deep side.

What are you fishing for? If sunnys I would says shallow, if crappies then shallow can work for sure but there are some big schools of fish in the deeper holes on most lakes. Seems to me the deep crappies bite best at night, if I were fishing crappies during daylight I would try to find somewhere other than the deep basin areas.

Another thing to consider this time of year is the spawn. If you know were your panie's like to go to spawn, connect the dots between where they were to where they will be. Look for outside or inside corners or contures along that route. Something that may hold them up a little, like a sunken island or point, or better yet a weedbed, like milfoil or curly leaf. Drill and search.

With the new water from the runoff and snow melt, the deep water holes loose the primary reason for fish to be there. O2 levels are going to begin to even out and fish will roam again.

Drill and search. You will find them eventualy.

caught a limit last night in 27 ftw,they haven't moved yet in each central Minnesota as yet,plus it was -8 last night,too darn cold for Feb 23rd!!!

There are fish that will stay shallow all winter long. Crappies included. Seach for green weeds.

Yeah its heating up on here now. I will be trying shallow on the next outing. With regard to structure, whats better than another.

I primarily fish for pannies, I don't eat fish, so I always catch and release the challenge is beating me this year.

Also on a side note, how accurate is the I finder GPS? I was out on a lake this weekend, and it said I should be in 35ft and I was in 16ft. Seemed like it was 50feet or so off.

Originally Posted By: bassphish2005
caught a limit last night in 27 ftw,they haven't moved yet in each central Minnesota as yet,plus it was -8 last night,too darn cold for Feb 23rd!!!

There are fish that will stay shallow all winter long. Crappies included. Seach for green weeds.

You got it Buddy! Green is GOLD!