• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance HDS seminar

Rippin_eyes

Question

I will be doing a Lowrance HDS seminar at the Lakeville Gander Mountain on Saturday the 28th of Feb. at 11 am. The seminar is free for all who wish to attend. I will also be hanging out most of the day to answer any questions aswell.

Chris Meyer

Lowrance Pro Staff

15 answers to this question

Chris, don't mean to be off topic, but have you personally seen the new handheld Endura™ Sierra GPS units by Lowrance? Will these be any easier to use or any more accurate than the H20C or Expedition C? I will be using it for both hunting and fishing, maybe occasional other navigation and want a unit that is easy to use, with great features. This is going to be a one time shot so want to get a good unit. Another question.... after 5 or 10 years will I be able to replace the internal Lithium battery myself, and without loosing the background maps and other waypoint or internal information? I have a Garmin GPS12 map and when Batteries Plus replaced the lithium battery for me because Garmin no longer serviced this unit, I lost the maps I had downloaded via Hotmaps. I don't think I can download them anymore either. There is still a crude base map in there, but It does not seam to bring me very close to my waypoints.

I know this unit is not due out till May, but was currious if anyone has seen it or tested it out yet. Is it worth the money? I have an old Z7200 on my boat and would someday like to upgrade this LCD,(only so much money to go for extra's) but also want a good handleld GPS for hunting and fishing.

Thanks for your comments,

Trapr

Ok, where to start first....

The new handhelds are pretty sweet!!!

The user functions are a lot simpler than the Ifinders.

The touch screen is awesome but it still has a key pad to use too! So it will be very benificial to cold weather operation with gloves...

Built in turn by turn is nice! I'm pretty excited about that. The power cord is totally different. You can get satellite views, 3D views just about anything really....

My biggest complaint is the card slot switched from a SD to a Micro SD card slot.... which means I cant use my card from my big graphs... but navionics is going to come out with a chip for it... I would assume lakemaster will aswell. I guess the reason they did this is for some of the future game cams and other software are switching to the Micro SD format..... So at least they won't be lagging when that comes out.

As far as the internal battery I'm not sure on that... I'll have to try to get a hold of someone in tulsa to answer that question.

I'm hoping that they sent the new units for the Mpls Sports show this weekend..... I guess I'll know on thurs....

hope that answered most of your questions....

Just curious...in reading up on the Lowrance HSOforum it appears that the lakemaster chip's work in these units but I'm assuming that they will be 2D similar (if not identical) to how they appeared on say a LCX110c.

Now it appears that the navionics chips may show up 3D? Can you clarify? If so will contour lines still be visible as an "over-lay" over the map?

Thanks,

WW

The Navionics platinum maps show up in 3d while zoomed out showing a larger region. Once you zoom in for detail they go back to 2d. The insight maps also do the same thing, they show 3d when zoomed out, but go 2d when you zoom in closer.

Navionics Platinum cards will work in the new HDS units which will give you a 3D view of the bottom. no more plain contour lines to try an understand..... sort of like a 3D blue print some people just dont get lines and what it looks like visually this eliminates it....

I have run them the past couple years in my 38's and they are pretty sweet but were slow in those units because the processor was to small the new units have a processor that is by far faster than the old units.

The cards aren't cheap though... but very nice stop by the Navionics booth at the sports show and check them out.

chris

Thanks for the reply. I hope it won't be a problem getting the chips in the smaller cards. Or I hope we can copy them from std. SD cards to the micro cards. I know they mention about using the units for viewing trail camera cards, but both of my types of trail camera's use SD cards, not micro SD cards. If there was an adapter that fit in the micro slot that took the larger card, that would work for viewing Trail cam pics in the field. I hope this is easily sunlight viewable. I would love to get one of the HD units for my boat, but only so much money.....