• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

JUST THINK!!!!

glenn57

With the neat videos & pictures you guys have posted I’m going to try to do something different next season like go SPEARING instead of work frown all the time.

While talking with my dealer in MI this morning he said he had to get going which is unusual for D ick to say being he loves to talk. Asked where he had to go and he answered frown SPEARING. They have I think 3 weeks left in MI to spear. Called him a few blush names and did wish him luck.

Elwood have you checked to see how far Ft Peck MT is from you? grin

Driving directions to Fort Peck, MT

760 mi – about 12 hours 19 mins

From Minneapolis, MN

ONE-WAY

1. Head southeast on 4th St S toward 5th Ave S/MN-65 0.6 mi

2. Take the I 35W S ramp 0.4 mi

3. Follow signs for I-94 W and merge onto I-94 W

Passing through North Dakota

Entering Montana 624 mi

4. Take exit 211 for State Hwy 200S toward Circle 0.3 mi

5. Turn right at MT-200 (signs for Circle) 76.5 mi

6. Turn right at MT-24 56.8 mi

7. Slight right toward Jefferson St 1.1 mi

8. Slight left at Jefferson St 427 ft

9. Turn right at Missouri Ave/MT-117

Continue to follow MT-117 0.2 mi

Fort Peck, MT

Yeah my season went by way to fast. It was hard for me to get out. the lakes where so coverd in snow up here i was limited to when i went. I had to wait till my dad had a day off to plow me a road. then by the time that was done so many days if not weeks went buy the hole had up to 6 inches of ice. but the last week was the best i speard my first pike and seen about a 40" incher slowly swim by my hole.

Sure cant wait till next winter i hope to get out earlier this year.

As a proud member of the "other half" of the people who visit the Bowfishing /Spearing Forum I would like to say... 66 wink

grin 66 days until stalking wakes in flooded timber...... cool slow cralling down a ditch to a small dam in a clear local lake..... whistle wadding in to get after it right in the middle of spawning fish.....

66 days........... frown

Originally Posted By: Fish Toys
Elwood have you checked to see how far Ft Peck MT is from you? grin

Driving directions to Fort Peck, MT

760 mi – about 12 hours 19 mins

From Minneapolis, MN

ONE-WAY

1. Head southeast on 4th St S toward 5th Ave S/MN-65 0.6 mi

2. Take the I 35W S ramp 0.4 mi

3. Follow signs for I-94 W and merge onto I-94 W

Passing through North Dakota

Entering Montana 624 mi

4. Take exit 211 for State Hwy 200S toward Circle 0.3 mi

5. Turn right at MT-200 (signs for Circle) 76.5 mi

6. Turn right at MT-24 56.8 mi

7. Slight right toward Jefferson St 1.1 mi

8. Slight left at Jefferson St 427 ft

9. Turn right at Missouri Ave/MT-117

Continue to follow MT-117 0.2 mi

Fort Peck, MT

Thats just way to far for this cat to drive!

I can't wait either guys..this was my first year of spearing and I'm hooked! But I've always loved sight fishing through an ice hole period regardless if I was spearing or angling for panfish/perch.

I got a question for you guys though regarding deer hunting and now that spearing opens on the 15th of November (if their is enough safe ice to walk out on). But say we have a cold fall this year, and some lakes have enough ice to be on by the 15th will that effect your deer hunting season (gun or bow seasons) if any of you deer hunt? I am just curious to what you guys will say, because as for me I enjoy doing both. So if that ever happens well technically it did this year but I never knew spearing opened on the 15th, I'll just have to pick my poison. I bow hunt as well, went duck hunting 1st time ever this year, and the last few years got into that opener water fishing in the fall too. I'm young yet at 25 and single so I can get away with alot of this stuff. But I pretty much do to much outdoors stuff, but my falls always fly by.

I have a few other questions if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out, but I am going to carve a few of my own decoys for next year and I was wondering how do you know how much lead to put into the decoy to make it balanced? Also with the fins does it really matter to get very detailed with them? As I will be using these decoys for spearing not decoration.

Also I am thinking of investing into a ice saw or chain saw for cutting my holes better, plus I'm sick of dragging the power auger along every time I want try a new spot and deal with all the slush. Which tool is a better investment the ice saw or chain saw?? Thanks for the help guys, I really wish I would of gotten into this sport earlier as my dad or grandpa nor uncles didn't spear and were limited to even the time they spent fishing.

To answer the deer hunting question I think that I could handle doing both and depending were I'm at in the state I might even try both at the same time confused I have one lake that is next to great deer hunting spot and I think that you could see it from the spot that I spear so I would set up my camera and make a port hole for my gun out of the spearshack grin probally never do it but thats the beauty of it I could if I wanted to. most likely hunt in the morning and spear in the afternoon

fishes ice saw is the best buy and if your sick of the slush try a chainsaw and see what happens it can be quite messy.

Elwood I wonder if your weapon would be a 2nd line while spearing. About the time you were going to squeeze the trigger on Bambi the biggest pike that you have ever seen will be swimming away with ALL your decoys. laughsmirkcry

Fish I thought of that but it was the other way around and now what take the pike or shoot the deer. confusedgrin