• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gander's new isle

Here-Kitty-Kitty

So I went to Gander and did my normal perusing every isle. Came to one and stopped dead in my tracks due to disbelief. What did my eyes see but a full isle of beautiful catting items. Everything from rod and reel combos to team catfish hooks and everything in between. The only thing that they really need to get a better selection is on there weights. At the time they really only have egg sinkers for something with weight, but the guys say they have more coming in. Very exciting for are sport to have a major line store to finally recognize that we are out there in numbers.

It's much cheaper to just pour your own weights. Not to mention that Moore's Bait and Tackle will blow gander's selection out of the water smile Not bashing gander, they have nice clothing whistle

LOL. I have a strange relationship with GM as well. I can nearly ever find what I'm looking for but will always pick up something that strikes my interest (at the right price). Getting back on topic, this is great news....I will be stopping by the EP store today and see what's up. Thanks for the tip! *begins chanting "Open Water!"* grin

I have been pushing hard for a couple years now..to get Gander Mtn to see there is a market and need to stock a better selection of Catfishing terminal tackle and equipment. They responded well this season and if it sells as well as I think it will, we can see it replenished and even grow in time.

Due to vendor availability the sinker selection will grow in time. We recently found a vendor who will supply the No-Rolls we were sadly lacking last season as well as many other key weight styles in demand by Catfisherman nationwide.

If you don't see what you need, request it. If it is available through GM vendors, odds are good it can be added to the set.

There is a Hot Buy on at GM on Gami Catfish assortment in hooks that a catman/woman should take advantage of now. Great deal on a nice selection of hooks and you save $5 a pack! Stock up, ya know you will need them...I did! wink

I remember when I first moved up here, and was looking for a good channel cat setup, a guy at gander tried to sell me a trolling reel on a musky rod.

Now they have a catfishing aisle. Good for them. They can disappoint a whole new group of anglers.

I remember when I first moved up here, and was looking for a good channel cat setup, a guy at gander tried to sell me a trolling reel on a musky rod.

Now they have a catfishing aisle. Good for them. They can disappoint a whole new group of anglers.

I agree, sometimes, well alright, most times their staff is less than knowledgeable about the area they work in. We do have one exception here in Roch though, the guy in the archery dept knows his stuff, but he came from 10+ years in a pro shop.

grin

I'm sure it varies from store to store. To bad we couldn't have an Ed at all the Ganders around here.

I say good for them and good for us. What helps is having a knowledgeable proactive supplier or rep talking with the buyers so you don't end up with an aisle full of skin pliers, bells, and doughbait.

Team Catfish as a company is a new player to the game, but the owner is not. I'm sure it is easier for stores to buy a line from one source and if that source has a good variety of quality items it makes it that much better.

It is cool that they are starting to carry more equipment/tackle for those of us on the "dark side" of fishing and more than likely I will swing thruogh and check it out sometime. I have just been to mutiple stores more than enough times and not found what I am looking for in the fishing dept. I will still shop there for other outdoor needs though.

It's great to see that they are starting to come around. They really need to open the doors WAY earlier than they do, are we running a bank or what grin

If you haven't been up to see Bob at Moore's, you should really go check his store at least once.

What I love about Bob's is that I can call him up and say, "hey you have some 10 ought gammis, 4 ought circles 4 oz no rolls, and a couple of airstones on hand, without being met with complete silence on the other end smile

I would also recommend stopping by to check out his shop.

Eh..I'm all for supporting the local shops, I do my part there as well. It's darn good larger venues like Gander Mtn are seeing we need tackle specific to our region...not to the deep South and there needs. Trust me, Kitty tackle there is a different critter then in our Northern colder water region and seasonal patterns and preferences vary greatly.

Far Less "Skunky-Funky-Monkey-Baits", more meat on a stick for us up here.

One may wish to ask about 5 oz No-Rolls for this spring guys...maybe 6's too. wink

I have to agree with all. Bob has just about everything that you would meed and he knows what hes talking about. I had just learned about it mid season last year. Gander for me is like my second home. I spend more time in there then most of their employees do haha. I did tell the guys about the No-Rolls and he said that he would talk with the boss to get them on the list. I think the one thing that does need to change is yes less stink bait and products along those lines. This was just their first shipment that has come and more is coming. So if they don't have it give them time. I was also thinking about taking a job there working in the fishing dept. That way if someone does come in asking about cat stuff they would have someone that knows about it. The discount wouldn't hurt either.

Oh P.S Yes their clothes are great. smile

I didn't realize we got a better stock of cattin gear at Gander, but then again I've been at college. Awesome, I've been talking to my managers and trying to get more catfishing stuff in the store, looks like they finally take notice. Even though I work there (in the fishing department), I still hit up Moore's for everything but line, and swivels (we have a good selection of those thanks to our Musky/Big Water sections).

As far as the guys being less than knowledgable about their department, we can't know EVERYTHING. Granted there are a lot of idiots at my work (there are everywhere). But take me for example. I would consider myself an expert on fishing in general, with a speciality on Catfish (theory, I need to fish more), Musky/Pike, and very proficient in Bass and Walleye. I know a little about Trout fishing and Fly-Fishing, but I haven't done it in a few years. Also I know nothing about Lake Trout/Salmon fishing, because I do not do it. Is it my fault that I am not able to fish the Great Lakes, or have an interest in learning about it? Everyone has specialities they're experts in, it's just if they happen to be working that day. For example I think I know more about musky fishing/catfishing than anyone there, but if a guy has a really advanced question about bass fishing that I can't answer, I know one or two guys who compete in leagues and will be able to help him.

Basically, you can't expect someone to know everything about everything in a subject, and there is a difference between poor customer service, and not knowing something.

Just got back from the store off of 212. As usual, nothing new for selection.....just the typical Team Cat Hooks and various tubes and bags of stink bait. Walked around for 45 minutes and found nothing but a few employees who would rather not help a customer out and act like they were busy. Every time I walk into that place they are always stocking the shelves with gear....funny thing is for some reason those holes on the shelf always remain open? I know it's a stretch but I swear some of them will keep shelves open with unstocked merch. in various areas of the store just to look busy and zone out. Don't get me wrong, I like GM and as you can tell I give them plenty of business...but even if this store carried Cat gear they would sell out and never get anything back in like most of the ice gear. Looks like a recon mission to Moore's is in order...

I'll have to admit that the Mankato GM is a little slim on their catting gear, but we always seemed to find enough of what we needed to get by (Gamu hooks/Team Catfish, Weights, Line ... etc) but it sure would be nice if someday, by some act of God, GM would match their catfish selection to their walleye/panfish selection ... would make sense considering Kato is right off the darn river! No Moore's down here for us sadly frown

As far as their staff, I think it goes without saying that at most places, there are experts and ... less-than-experts (nicely put). Mankato's location seems to have a pretty equal meld of both ... there are some very knowledgeable staff there, and then of course you have your typical younger employees who stand around and do nothing ... remember a few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch!

For what it's worth in the Mankato area, GM keeps myself and a few others probably on here coming in weekly for bait/supplies, or just to check out what's new there, and for that I appreciate it.

Once again, if there are items you need and they are not available now...request them from the fishing manager. If they can be added they will be. They need your feedback on what you want or they will not likely add it..trust me on that. Customer requests carry a lot of pull.

As for associate appearing busy, heck ya, it is a very busy time of year and in many store not just a few things are getting changed ..but everything in the whole department is changing and getting reorganized...lots of work as one may imagine and a short time to accomplish it.

It is easy to get focused on the job at hand and miss a customer looking for something. We try to keep contact with all customers on the floor and help where needed but when your juggling several tasks at once, it often not easy to do.

If somebody appears busy that is no reason not to ask them for assistance, they will gladly help.

I have worked in a lot of jobs in my life and worked in retail sporting now for 5 years or so, and I can tell ya this, my personal prospective on how hard folks on the floor and behind the scenes work has dramatically changed in that time.

I personally have a whole new respect for anyone whom works in a service and sales environment and I am a whole lot more patient and respectful to floor staff and service industry associated wherever I go because of this new understanding.

The old saying "Don't judge a man tell ya walk a mile in his shoes" still holds up today, and we all could benefit from it's wisdom.

So I went into Moore's today since I was in the area, and was impressed with his Catfish selection. Really wish someone in Mankato had a place like this with a great selection of hooks and sinkers. The guy there was really nice and we chatted for a few minutes about how LFC had mentioned he should open a shop down there.

I will definitely be back there to possibly stock up on the rest of my list that I planned on ordering from Catfish Connection but for sure will be picking up my KOTC hat when those get in.

Hmm I was thinking the same thing, just not in kato. Also I don't think that anyone on a private ownership could ever stand up to Moores. Bob truely has that field locked down and rightfully so.

I just wish Gander could get jumbo shinners. I would be completely satisfied with the burnsville area for bait.