• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 1/2 or 3 in. shells?

longbeard34

I think most 3 1/2" shells don't have any more powder than 3". What that does is slows down the shot so maybe they don't hit quite as hard. Certainly more pellets, but at least in my gun, the extra pellets seem to be flyers, that is outside the normal pattern.

For me anyway, 3" is a better option. I shoot Federal Premium copper plated, buffered #5.

You can kill a turkey with a 2 3/4 shell if he is close enough and your gun shoots a tight pattern with that load, I have shot a lot of turkeys and I like a winchester surpreme HV 3 1/2 copper plated 5's they pattern great in my gun and and give me a little more pattern density at the longer ranges.

Technically 3.5 shells should pattern better than 3 inch in a 3.5 chamber.

Personally, I would use 3.5 shells if I had a 3.5 chamber but would certainly not buy a new gun if I already had a 3 inch.

I started with a 3, went to a 3.5, and back to a 3. Killed a bunch with both. The 3.5 hevi-shots were bad arse, right now I'm shooting the fed 5's like DonBo.

All in all to answer the initial question, I prefer 3.5 but not so much as to go buy another 3.5 as my 3 works fine. If I had more money and spent more time hunting other than a season or two here in WI, I'd get a 3.5.

Note - I got rid of the 3.5 because I didn't like the way it handled and pointed while coyote hunting. A separate gun for yotes would have worked but budget constraints only allow me one shotgun and I got a good deal on the 3.

You can kill a turkey with a 2 3/4 shell if he is close enough and your gun shoots a tight pattern with that load, I have shot a lot of turkeys and I like a winchester surpreme HV 3 1/2 copper plated 5's they pattern great in my gun and and give me a little more pattern density at the longer ranges.

Exact same here. I get a better pattern with 3 1/2's than the same shell model in 3 inch out of the same gun.

years ago I read a few articles about shot gun shell lenght. I wish I could find them. These articles stated that the longer shells do nothing but cost more, make more noise, and pound the shoulder more. The reasoning behind this was that it takes so much powder to push so much shoot and longer the shell the two components must balance each other to produce an effective kill at 40 yards because shotgun ballistics are far more constant then rifle/pistol. The only advantage would be a denser pattern? I'm not too awful educated on shotshells but, it was an interesting read.

I shoot 3-1/2" out of my SBE, After many patterns and days and a pile of shells I just determinded that the 3-1/2" is a better shell for me.

I completley understand that each gun will shoot a particular shell better then another. But hey!! isn't that part of the fun just out patterning the different shells.

I have a winchester superx2 and by shooting the winchester hv#5 it increased the effective range by 15 yards but it is still what you preffer. Hey Cooter I got your yote stopper try remington 3" #4 buck if it was legal for turkeys I'd be killing them at 60+ yards with that stuff