• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Reel

Esox_Magnum

Well I fell into the dark side today. Some of you know I'm not a fan of Abu's but with the new Revo Toro I think they may have something there. Hopefully its not a purchase I'll regret like the rest of my Abu muskie reel buys. But I got a great deal on it, its similar to my Curado that I love but with a lower gear ratio. I'll be putting this on my soon to get new cowgirl rod and be ready to go when tourney time starts May 3rd. Hoping it preforms as well as it looks and feels. I'm happy with my Revo S I use for walleyes and bass so it should fit well into my arsenal.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cbrooks -

Don't want to hijack or change the thread but you'll love a 9 footer. I be I used it about 75% of the time over the rest of my stuff. Even at a real heavy action the length allows me to throw anything and it also makes doing 8's a lot easier.

-erik

I picked up the same reel with the 6:4:1 I put it on A St Croix 7' HF but may upgrade that before the season begins. A 9' would be sweet but we wilol see......assuming you got it in do you think it will handle the DCG's? Seems pretty heavy duty to me...Flea Bay had some good prices on them.

I ran DCG's on a 6:3:1 Shimano Curado 300 DSV last season with no problem, I don't see the Toro being a problem. Rod will be a custom from Thorne Bros, just not sure what blank yet, waiting to see Lonnies new creation to compete with the Steel and Sling Blade.

Esox, how often did you use the Curado?? Once a week or do you fish everyday?? Did you only use it for reeling DC-10s??? Im kind of looking at that reel. The slingblade isnt cheap. Thats what I was gonna go with then I got talked into a 9'2" foot heavy action premier. Half the price and I guess pretty close to being the same. Thanks

3-5 times a week. normaly get out 2-3 nights a week after work and daylight till after dark on weekends. In other words I used it alot. My log book says over 400 hours after muskies last year, not alot by some standards but all I could get out. I would say cowgirls though only accounted for 40% of my casting.

Hiya -

I used the Toro 5.4:1 a lot last season. Frankly it's the first Low Pro reel I've thought could handle muskies. I love the thing.

I just got a first look at a new model Toro - the Winch. It's a 4.3:1 gear ratio that'll be awesome for big baits. Word right now is they'll be available right around the beginning of June.

FYI... smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I've enjoyed Abu's line of baitcast reels. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Toro as soon as I take care of some other boat accessories. Hey Rob, will the Winch have a similar line capacity to that of the Toro? I'm looking for a big bait reel and low-profile is high on my list.

I've been debating getting a new setup, and I think I'm down to the the Curado or the Toro for the reel

I have a setup for DCGs and big baits already so I probably wouldn't be throwing monster baits more than 25% of the time. What do you guys think? Seems like there are people who like both reels and they both look pretty sweet

I use the low pros for big baits to. I wont hesitate to rip a mag dawg on my Curado and will rip them on the Toro to see what it will handle. The Toro will primarily be my cowgirl reel though, providing it does its job as well as the Curado did last year. I may consider when the time comes to replace my round reels with low pro ones except for trolling.

Esox, now here is a dollars and sense question. If you could buy a New Curado 300 for $179, would that be a better buy than a Calcutta 400TE for $300. Which would you prefer to have? Which is a better buy? I only through DCG's about 15% of the time and fish about 20 days a year with it. By the way I also have a new Abu Record for whatever that is worth. I am just trying to find an all around reel for my Shimano 8' Heavy.

A good deal for $179, but better than a TE, I don't think so. You'll be happy with the Curado though, for the time you fish hard to justify the extra bucks on a TE. I fish over 100 days a summer and don't yet own a TE ( will someday) I don't use the Curado for everything, a better budget all around reel would be a Corvalus or Okuma Induron $80-$120.I have both and both have served me well so far.

We run 4 Calcutta B's and other than the drags backing off have been reliable reels. I have 1 partner that can break about anything and his 2 400 B's lasted all year. His new ( June 08 )Luna has been rebuilt twice now. Give him an Abu and he'll tear it up in a weekend.

I have several friends thats had the Records, I hope you have better luck with yours than they have.

Does anyone trust the Toro's yet? I kind of want to see if they have worked all the bugs out first. Yeah for left handed reels I am limited to Curado, all the Abu's (except the 7000), Calcutta TE, Luna 300L, and a few others. I am just looking for an all around reel that can handle a little bit of DCG action and some light trolling duty. Unfortunately the Muskie reels have gotten so specific in there design that the TE is one of the few that does everything well. At least that is what I have been told.