• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berry Love-ly

Birdsong

3300698189_f1d077c1c1_o.jpg

Thanks to advice, I got some semblance of what I wanted, although I found if I did not overdo lightening the shadows, the sharpening went much better. Otherwise I get grainy feathers. I still had to keep levels somewhere between Steve's recommendation and Paul's.

3301530324_1e5f3620bd_o.jpg

This one was a bit easier to work with. Yes, X-T I did remember to look at the histogram. But it was so cold that my viewer was steaming up, and the histo had those crazy double peaks. I should have gone into the neighbor's yard. Better sun angle.

BOS

3301531714_d421c7b149_o.jpg

I remembered to remove the other feeders, shake the snow off the evergreen, and actually sat IN the blind this time instead of using it for a backdrop. Best laid plans of mice and men. By the time I got something to bring the feeder/branch up higher, the birds decided they had had enough.

I really like that first shot as a typical habit of waxwings. You did a nice job with that siskin. You have a lot of it in focus which is difficult to do when they are looking at you like that! Nice, smooth background and good exposure of the bird.

Birdsong, if the birds are underexposed and you have to bring them up brighter in levels, you'll see digital noise in the feathers, and sharpening that will accentuate it and make it look rougher. Particularly in the first WW image, because of the bright background, I'd bet the meter underexposed the birds in favor of the background. What I'd do in that situation is run noise ninja on the bird, which not only kills a lot of noise but smooths things out a little bit. Then I'd lasso the head/face and apply sharpening there.

Nice job on the captures. smilesmile

I can't wait till the apple trees go into bloom so they will show up again.

Don't the wax wings stay for the winter there, Jim? I can't say I see them all that often, but I hear them frequently here. These were in my daughter's yard yesterday. She lives a block away.

Thanks, Steve for the new direction. I would love to be able to save this one because of the berry passing, though that branch also makes it very hard to crop. I don't have Noise Ninja, but I think its time to look into it--underexposure seems to be my middle name. I have such a great understanding of exposure and metering at this point. frown I will get the hang of it it, however--eventually.