• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More Snow Western UP

MerganserBreath

Good to hear. My wife and I are headed to Lake Gogabic on Friday for 5 days. We will be staying at the Root Cellar. Merganser, Any interest in hooking up for a ride?

I just looked at the forcast and it looks like you are in for snow all week.

Thanks for the report.

I heard today that they only got a few inches of snow over by Watersmeet, (which is 20 miles east of Lake Gogebic) not sure about around Lake Gogebic, but I think you picked a good time to come. Snow showers predicted off and on all week and getting cold again towards the end of the week and into next weekend. Don't know if you have spent much time around this area but generally if you go north of the Root Cellar towards Bergland, Silver City, Mass City and Rockland you'll find more snow than going south or east from the root Cellar. That said, pick up one of the trail maps when you get into Ironwood, or go online to the Western UP Convention and Visitor Bureau and download a map. So far this winter Trail #2 from Marenisco to Watersmeet has been great, if you like railroad grades, and Trails #1 and #13 have been pretty good all winter too. Thanks for the offer to ride, but if I'm out this weekend I will be working.... make sure you have your registration AND a Michigan Trail Pass..... I'll have a hunter orange vest on riding a Artic 660 Touring 4-Stroke. Perhaps I'll see you on the trails ! Be safe and have a great time.

Thanks for the info Merganser. I have been riding in that area for the past 4 years. I know the trials pretty well and know exactly were you are talking about. I am looking at venturing further East this trip on Trail 8. I have only taken 8 to trail 13 up to Rockland and of course the Bill Nichols trail to Calumet. Just looking to hit some different areas than the past.

I just got a chip for my GPS with all of the trails from Minnesota to Michigan. I put a ram mount on and am looking forward to seeing just how accurate it is.

I'll watch for your orange vest at every stop sign! I will be riding a 07 red switchback and my wife will be on a white 07 FST IQLX. You won't miss me if you see me. I'm 6'4" and just about as big around as I am tall.

See ya on the trail!

Trip was nothing short of fantastic!

The wife and I put on 614 miles in 3 1/2 days. The only trail that was ruff was #2 West of Marinesco on Sunday. I imagine that strech gets hit pretty hard from the Hurley riders.

Friday we started out around 2:30 in the afternoon. Took 13 North from the Root Cellar to Bergland. Took 8 around town. Jumped on 1 down to Marinesco. Took 2 over to 13 and back to the resort. About 86 miles. I was really cold so we called it quits for the night.

Saturday we took 13 North to Trail 3 to the Nichols trail. Perfect condition. We took the Nichols trail over to Twin Lakes and had lunch. After lunch we rode the trail 13 loop back to Green land. Very scenic trail. Dropped down 3 to 8 and headed back to Gogabic. Made a stop at the Hoop and rode the Lake back to the Root. 168 Miles and 2 big smiles.

Sunday we went North of Bergland on the 102 up to 11 I think. Took a left and rode down to Ironwood. Took 2 all the way across to Watersmeet and North on trail 3 and back to Bergalnd on 8 again. 197 miles and 2 sore, happy riders.

Monday was going to be a shorter day. Rode North on 13 to Mass City. Took a right on trail 12. Rode that East to the 8/15 intersection down to Sidnaw. Nice wide roads for trails that were in perfect condition. Took 107 South out of Kenton. Never saw a sled on that 50 mile strech. Took 2 over to Ciscos and had a late lunch. Took 13 back up to the resort and called it a trip. 180 miles on Monday.

Trails all looked to be in great shape. 13 was getting a little thin by Monday night. Not sure what will happen there this week with the warm weather. I would guess that there is still at least 2 good weeks of riding out there yet. The traill base has to be a foot in most places.

I didn't see your orange vest this weekend!

Sounds like you folks had a great trip ! I think you may have hit the last really good trail days, unless we get more snow. 40's today and tomorrow, but it is supposed to get cold again next week so the season won't be totally over. Your guess on 2 more weeks could be right on the money. I took the weekend off, so no orange vest wearing for me until next weekend. Probably be my last patrol for the season.... on a sled at least..... do some ATV patrols in the summer. Take care and see you online sometime again !