• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I-pod to computer

Gatores

Question

My son has bought around 100 songs through I-tunes and put about 100 songs from his existing cd's onto his ipod with my computer. I have a new computer and I have heard if he plugs his ipod to put more songs onto it with a different computer his songs he put on before will be deleted. Just wondering if that is true before he loses all of his songs.

Thanks

Rick

16 answers to this question

I'd like to hear the answer to this as well.

What'll happen is that if you enable syncing in the iTunes software, the iPod will sync to an empty folder on your PC and wipe the songs you have on the iPod when you connect it. I've never sync'd to my PC and now my iPod is chuck full of songs and wondering what to do myself. I'd like to have a back-up in the event something goes haywire with my iPod.

I've done some very brief searching on the internet about this and it sounds like there is some 3rd party software that will transfer the songs to the PC but it may not be as clean as you'd hope it would be with lost song tags, mixed up playlists, etc.

I look forward to hearing what anyone else has for ideas if they've done this before.

The iTunes songs will be safe - your computer will ask you if you want to transfer them over. The other ones will be wiped.

You can transfer your tunes from one computer to another via back up HD or firewire transfer. Google for the exact information - but it works, you can point iTunes from a new computer to recognize your transferred material.

They really make it hard to transfer non-iTunes material - go figure, huh?

I Have used software from a online web site to transfer my i-pod to another computer. Pretty simple, it takes you through the process step by step. if I remember after the software down load, the computer takes over the process and all you do is click the continue or finish icons.. I think it cost around $15-20

I did some reserch before I decided on witch one to use and Tune- Jack had the best reviews. I think I went to a site called purple ghost. very good online help and trustworthy, IMO .itunes store does give directions on how to do this, but they assume you are tec savy and do not explain every step. And Yes everything transferred just fine.

OK I am not too familiar with the Ipods, but if you can plug it in and browse folders you should be able to copy files back and forth with ease. I have done it with other MP3 players and Windows CE devices. Just not sure if can just plain browse folders on ipdods.

Found a few things on the web:

Backup software - Folder is a freeware program that allows you to perform a full backup of your iPod.

Another backup tool - Free iPod software - help you copy music and video from iPod to computer.

Aimersoft iPod Copy Manager is totally free and easy to use iPod backup & recovery software. With the free iPod copy manager, you can easily copy back your songs, videos and DVD movies from iPod to computer when you lost your iTunes library. You also can backup your iPod videos and music to computer whether you need to send your iPod for repair or system crashed.

For the iTunes frustrated user, iPod copy manager can help you transfer video, songs, movies and TV shows to iPod directly. Just plug in your iPod to computer and one click is enough; it couldn’t be easier to copy music and video to iPod.

Copy from ipod to pc - A reader points out a straightforward way for Windows users to transfer music from an iPod to your hard drive, without extra software:

1. Connect the iPod to your PC. If iTunes starts syncing (ie erasing) your music automatically, hit the X in the upper right hand corner of iTunes display, to the left of the search box, to stop it.

2. In Control Panel, Portable Media Devices, double-click your iPod.

3. In the Tools menu -> Options, in the View Tab, check "Show hidden files and folders."

4. Navigate to the Music folder. On my 2nd gen 'pod, the full path is

Portable Media Devices\GINA'S IPOD (F:)\iPod_Control\Music

5. Select all the music folders, and drag and drop them into a folder on your hard drive, or directly into iTunes.

And you're done! The iPod music folder structure is strange and inexplicable, but once you move your files into iTunes you can set it to automatically organize your folder by artist and album to clean that up. (To do this, in iTunes Edit menu, choose Preferences and in the Advanced tab, check "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized.")

I'd like to hear the answer to this as well.

I've done some very brief searching on the internet about this and it sounds like there is some 3rd party software that will transfer the songs to the PC but it may not be as clean as you'd hope it would be with lost song tags, mixed up playlists, etc.

I look forward to hearing what anyone else has for ideas if they've done this before.

Check out anapod by redchair software. It is not the best stuff best it works. I have over 10,000 songs on mine and did not like how easy it is to wipe it out and not have the ability to backup all my songs to one folder. This stuff will not care were the song came from or if it has been licensed.

Yes, that's what Apple wants you to believe, but there are ways of moving your ipod's database to other computers. I'm just looking for the best way that'll preserve all the playlists, etc. I just did some searching around and it's still sketchy which ones will do that perfectly. Many will copy the songs, but the playlist issue is questionable on many of the software packages out there.

I have thousands of mp3's, hundreds of CD's ripped, and a handful of iTunes songs on my iPod. I created a playlist/folder for each of my ripped CD's to keep them separate which make them appear as individual albums. This is the most critical part of getting this transfer to work for me.

It seems like they all have trial versions with a limited amount of songs that can be copied. Tough call on which one to get.

I just installed the demo for IPod Copy Expert and realized I can only copy 5 songs.... I'll pass on the $20 for now as all of my music is backed up...it did copy all 5 songs successfully... grin