• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Barometric Pressure

GrumpyOldCrappie

How much does barometric pressure play in your decision to go fishing? My fishing buddy won't go out if it's a high pressure, say over 30.

When it's a low pressure he jumps at the chance.

Does it really make much of a difference? I've seen some other post about the tendencies etc. Just wondering what others think about it...

This buddy of mine that won't fish in a high pressure uses an analogy of minnows in a plastic bag.

If you squeeze down on the bag, the minnows freeze and don't move- that's high pressure. After you release the minnows start moving again (low pressure)

Makes sense but not sure if it holds true for fish biting or more active...

This buddy of mine that won't fish in a high pressure uses an analogy of minnows in a plastic bag.

If you squeeze down on the bag, the minnows freeze and don't move- that's high pressure. After you release the minnows start moving again (low pressure)

Makes sense but not sure if it holds true for fish biting or more active...

Interesting test but I wonder about the validity of the result.

How hard do you have to squeeze the bag to raise the atmospheric pressure inside by 1" of mercury? The earth's barometric pressure doesn't change very much from high to low. The highest recorded sea level pressure ever recorded was 32.29" during an extremely cold air mass in Siberia. The lowest ever recorded at sea level was 25.69 in the eye of a typhoon over the pacific. Typical change is from about 29 in.Hg. to 31 in.Hg.

Watching the fish in our aquarium, I have never recognized any behavior change from one state to another.

Bob

Take this for what it is worth. I keep records on how I do fishing, date, time, pressure etc. I found a web site called weather underground On that site there is a button for history data or something similar.

I back checked the best days I had fishing and almost always it was when the pressure was dropping sharply.

I fish when ever I can...but I try extra hard to get out on the ice when I see the pressure dropping sharply. Very rarely (if ever) do I have a bad fishing day when the pressure is falling sharply. Sausage

Deitz has a good line and I do change how I fish with the barometer as well. However I have not gone fishing many times when the pressure is very high, especially for muskies. And those times when there's a storm coming up and it starts to plummet I do what I can to get on the water..