• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bottom Bouncer combo recomendations

norma

Looking to add a bottom bouncer to my arsenal this summer. What do you have for recomendations.

For a reel I think the Diawa Megaforce would be a good choice, the twiching bar should work great for one handed control when going up and down the breaks.

As for a rod I have no idea, price range is up to $150.00 but would like to spend less if possible.

Bottom bouncing to me means a rod in the holder most of the time because Im running up to 3 rods at a time. I like a 7.5 to 8.5' rod with a medium power and a fairly light tip so it telegraphs bottom and hits quick but has backbone to get a good hook into fish. Somthing too soft and spongey isnt good.

The real you talk about is a great bottom bouncer reel. The twitching bar is nice. I like the ability to hit the thumb bar, let out line, and then let it sit. Rather then having to hit a switch and then reel in to get it to lock. 1 hand function is very nice.

Bass pro has some good bottom bouncer rods but the rod will be a preference thing. No need to spend more than like $75 on the rod. A graphite rod isnt a big deal when in holders. I stay away from 2 piecers and I make sure I have some rods in the 7' to 7.5' as well as longer rods so I can stager some inside and some wider.

I like to get multiple uses out of all my equipment. I use the same seven foot trigger stick for casting suckers while bobber fishing, chucking crankbaits, spinners, and spoons for pike, and bottom bouncing for walleyes.

Bottom bouncing is a great technique in snagg infested water. But the snagg free nature of bottom bouncing loses it's effectiveness as the presentation falls back from verticle. It's also not a finesss game-so I don't shy away from 3 ounce bouncers on 17 pound test.

You can get away with using your musky or catfish rigs for this.

I love a reel with a flipping switch. I hit the thumb bar and walk a bottom bouncer down the backside of a hump and can still run the tiller.

I've watched novices ruin a new spool of eight pound test by stretching it with a big bouncer let out too far. Many rods will work for bouncing but match the setup to the type of fishing you will be doing. Hans

Ya I run 12# Power Pro or 14# mono on my bouncer rods as well. I like the PP more because I can get my lines more verticle and see bottom on my rod tip sooner. Less stretch. Set the drag looser and your fine and use a bit softer tipped rod.

Ill run 7footers inside 8.5 footers when Im running 4 lines.

Quantum has a new "Walleye Grade" series of baitcast reels that feature a "flipping" switch in both left and right hand retrieve versions. It's a great reel from what I've seen.

A good rod for bouncing should have a medium/moderate action. Lots of guys use rods that are too fast/stiff. I only use braid or other superlines when I'm bouncing really deep or in tough, snaggy conditions. I run 12# Berkley Sensation mono 90% of the time. I prefer a 7' rod, anything longer is tough to hang on to when fishing heavy bouncers all day. If you are running your bouncer rods in rodholders, I'd go longer and look at a good trolling rod with a moderate action. I use Scheels Walleye Series SBBS 7' Med/Mod rods and Scheels Pro Classic 10.5' Medium 2-piece rods for deadsticking.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Norma,

I use the Limit Creek LCC66MHF for bottom bouncer and three way trolling for walleye. I also this same rod for casting crankbaits and spinnerbaits for bass (did I really say bass...) it is versatile rod.

Good luck this season!!

Turk