• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Evinrude 60HP Etec

RussDaBuss

Hi All,

I am looking at a used one from a private party. I currently have an Alumacraft 16-1/2' boat with a 40hp Merc (1997 classic 40- 4 cylinders). I want to upgrade to a 60 (which is the max). The Etec is a 2006 with 41 hours on it. It sounds in good shape. For those that know these motors, am I going to see a good increase in power compared to my 40? I back troll alot, will this 60 etec be much different for being able to troll, idle down nice?

The seller mentioned when he bought this motor new, he purchased the tack with it which includes the warning lights and buzzer for low oil, temp. etc. He said the tack DOES not work. The dealer tried to fix but could not find the problem but all the warning lights and stuff are functioning. My boat has a tack built into it. Can not I hook this etec right up to that? Does this make sense or does something sound fishy?? I guess I should mention this is a tiller.

I appreciate any information. Good or Bad. I have heard much good about these motors but are they true?

Thanks alot

Russ

The difference will be night and day switching from a 40 to a 60 hp E-Tec.

I may be wrong in saying this, but I think the E-Tec had specific gauges for them.

This motor will troll down perfectly for backtrolling.

I had a 16' Sylvan with a tiller. I had a Johnson 40 on the back when it was new and to say it was underpowered is an understatement.

I traded that motor in for a 60 HP Johnson (non E-tec) and WHOOOOAAAAA!!!! This boat exploded out of the water. I had to go up in pitch on the prop to tame it down.

One thing that I would do is pull the cover off and see how clean the motor is. It should be spotless under the cowling. Also pull the spark plugs and compare the tips. They should be the same color.

Find out why the owner is selling. He might be holding out on you. I would also ask to see it running if possible. If you can get it to a dealer and put it in a tank, let it run, make sure the gears work ok.

Sometimes it's tough to tell if the lower unit has been damaged. I had a skeg replaced on my 60 and you couldn't tell anything was done to it.

Thanks for the good info. It is for sale a little ways away so, I can not see it yet. he has sent me records of when he had it in to look at the tack. It is amazing what this report tells ya. How long it has ran under what Rmps and any mishaps. Everything sounds good. Is 41 hours a lot for an 06? I guess I dont think so. I am going to call the dealer he goes to and talk with them and also a local dealer around my area. What is a fair price for this motor??? I can not tell what he is asking yet wink.

Any more information would be great. Any others out there with this motor? Does it troll down nice. Like I said, I do a ton of back trolling and have been satisfied with my 40 merc. Just want a little more power to get me around.

Thanks

for an '06, 41 hours is on the light side as far as use. That's part of the reason I'm curious as to why he's selling it. Try to get a feeling what type of water he normally fishes. Lakes with a large number of BIG rocks would lead into a good number of questions. I dinged my skeg at Lake of The Woods. Lots of unmarked boulders in some lakes.

I couldn't honestly tell you what would be a good asking price for the motor.

It does seem a bit odd given the hours that are on it that he's selling already.

No, you will not be able to connect your tach to the new motor - you'll need the correct connector for OMC.

It's odd that his Tach's not working... does he know if the problem is with the Tach or with the motor?

Given how few hours there are on the motor I'd say you could consider skipping a compression or leak test, but then again, given the low hours I might do it just so I knew everything was ok.

marine_man

Thanks LEP7MM.

I actually called the Dealer that he got it from and they knew the exact motor I am talking about and the seller. He said it is in GREAT condition and used very little.

No one else out there that knows about this motor- Likes, Dislikes??

i had a 60 e tec on a 17 ft glass boat quite bit heavy than yours like someone said it will push you out of the water fastttttt lots of power you need a fairly good chop to back troll wit it throw if you have eletric for flat water you will be fine to ruff for that then use the e-tec

mine was an 07 i paid just short of 7k out the door

actually i traded in on my new boat and he took it off the boat he could still have it its a good motor i had no problems only had it a yr though but i have 150 e tec now

but as the guys above said i would ask why ??

and its easy to start these you dont need ears

garden hose goes right in the back

I have an 05 75hp ETEC tiller. It will troll down and run like that all day and has good power. Mine does not have a tach setup on it.

I had a problem with it 2 yrs after I got it. After about 250 hrs on it the middle cylinder wore out due to improper lubrication. I took it to the shop, the mechanic said it was a design flaw in the 60 - 75 hp models. They put in a whole new power head that had an extra lube port in the cylinder and since then the motor has run fine.

I called the dealer who sold it to me and he said he had never heard of that kind of problem. ??? The mechanic who fixed mine (different dealer)said he had done several others that summer, same problem. I dont know if the 06 models have the lube/design flaw problem.

Last year the oil tank cracked and I had it replaced. All this repair was under warranty with no hassle at all from Evinrude. I was just without a boat for a few weeks and the Leech Lake walleyes were getting anxious wondering where that old red boat was.

I just got a Lund 1750 outfitter with a 60 ETEC last week.

880# dry weight, full fuel, 2 adults, 1 kid, lots of gear, 15P prop.

Flat out is 32mph on the GPS, 4500rpm cruise is 26mph.

I suspect that on a 16 it would really rip.

My 10th outboard, first etec, very impressive. Instant starts, no smoke, incredible power for a 60.

You will not ne disappointed.

JM