• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2-Up Laws

chasineyes

I'm wondering if anyone has ever gotten pulled over for 2-up violations. I'm just about ready to purchase a touring model for my wife and 7 year old, but I'm now concerned about riding with myself and our 4 year old. I'm guessing on the basic trails it's not a huge issue but if we trailer them up to the Gilbert OHV area is this going to be an issue?

Thanks

coombia21,

I read one of your other posts and noticed your age. Have you been certified on an ATV?

If not, you only need to take the CD-ROM portion and submit that to the MN DNR.

You can order a CD by either requesting one via the MN DNR HSOforum at www.dnr.state.mn.us and then go to the Education/Safety Training tab for information.

You can also call them toll free at 1-888-MINN-DNR.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Whoa LEP, where did you hear that you can ride 2 up legaly in Mn on a single machine? I would check the DNR before making that statement! I had a DNR guy tell me that the reason you can not do it is because the rear axes has to be behind the second rider like the new 2 up machine to keep the weight right? I bought a nice seat with handles and foot rests for my Magnum 330 from a dealer who told me you could ride 2 people as long as the rider had handles and foot rests. But the DNR guys said "Not". Just don't want you to give out bad info. But just a FYI, we do it!! smirk

Whoa LEP, I would check the DNR before making that statement!

leech~~, I do ATV safety training for the MN DNR as do a couple others who visit this site.

From page 30 of the MN DNR ATV Regulations:

ATV Passengers

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety commission recommends that you

DO NOT carry a passenger unless the ATV is specifically designed for

passengers. On a Class 1 straddle style ATV, the operator needs the

entire seat area to maintain stability and safe control. Please follow all

manufacturer’s recommendations and safety warnings.

• A person under the age of 18 may not carry a passenger.

A person over the age of 18 may carry one passenger on a Class 1 ATV.

• A person over the age of 18 may carry a passenger, or up to the number of

passengers for which a Class 2 ATV was designed.

• A passenger under the age of 18 must wear an approved helmet and a seat belt

if provided by the manufacturer.

Thanks for the concern.

LEP, Thanks for the Info, please send me your full name so I can give it to any DNR guy on the trail as the trainer who told me this? I will also print this out and have a copy in my wheeler to show any DNR person!! J/K! laughlaugh Like I said after buying the seat and foot pegs, we do it anyway! smirksmirk

Why not just carry along the small handbook that he quoted? I do, and then if there are any issues, I can just pull it out and refer to it on the trails. If you don't have a handbook anymore, just stop in the license bureau or print ot off the DNR site.

man lep thanks for clearing that up. I bought my atv in '07 and was told that it was illegal to ride 2 up but I did not know the rules changed. This is great because when I bought my atv the guys at the shop said that you need to have a "2 up" seat to ride 2 seater and all of the 2 up seats are about 2-300 bucks. So thanks for saving me some money!