• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Decoy?

Huey

What's favorite decoy?

Mine's "Candy Cane". It's a newer Bru-ell, white with 2 red stripes mid-body. Swims nice and some days the pike like to chew on it. Other ones I like are my mini Bear Crk red/white sucker, a rainbow trout Duey's, and red/yellow reg size Bear Crk pike that swims nice. I also have a firetiger Lori Drestch sunfish shaped decoy that swims beautifully, but does seem to pull in the fish, at least so far. I might repaint it as a crappie. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Candy Cane.

Fish- Here's a picture: smile

Copyof100_1411-1.jpg

3050691318_2cb61b9990_b.jpg

Favorite... That is a tough one for me.

I always start things off with the red and white on the top left. It was made by my brother, fish carver and then I pimped it out a bit. laugh The northerns like that one.

My favorite swimming decoy is the MikeDaPike in the center. Just drop it down the hole and it takes what seems like forever to drop 5 feet. The light color just glows.

My favorite decoy to sit and wait is the bear creek natural in the top left. It also glows in the water since it also is a light color. It must be an old version since I haven't seen those for sale anywhere lately.

When I am in the middle of a bunch of small sunnies then the middle decoy is my favorite. It was also made by my brother. It seems to bring in more bass than northerns though.

I got my largest pike ever on the pink one on the top left. I had it hooked to the hillbilly spinner and it was just rotating down there and the natural bearcreek looking at it. The northern was 100% focused on the pink decoy and didn't care about anything else.

The red and white bear creek works well for me too.

If none of those things work I like to take a big spoon and hook it to the Hillbilly spinner or just jig it a few times. Jigging a spoon will normally bring something in to check it out.

this year I would have to say hands down the chartuse/yellow and red dots spoon on the hillbilly spinner.

I had more pike decoy to this set up than any other decoy or even live sucker that I have used this year. I think it is because I spear alot of stained and murkier lake and the flash really helps.

Who knows next year it might be red/white decoy.

welcome northspear colors for are chartusegreen chartuse/yellow. red/white red/yellow the list can go on and on as for which color for big pike only they know. get a couple of differnt colors and switch them until you find one that works for them or that you feel most confident with. and a monster decoy never hurts.

now i use a live sucker about 70% of the time. and i just bought a new decoy red and white with a spinner on its tail. what would is the best way to bring in the pike big or small. and what colors would you suggest?

Pink for the big girls!!! laugh

I just got a duey's rattle dog to try next year, and I also picked up a red n white 10" Bear creek red n white which Im stoked to try out first thing next year!

My favorite is the 10" bear creek natural pike and a red and white one I carved myself.

Originally Posted By: Laska
My favorite is the 10" bear creek natural pike and a red and white one I carved myself.

Is your 10" bear creek natural pike a dark green or a light almost yellow color?

Can you post a pic?

Dont have a pic of it where I am right now, Its the new version I just bought this year, its a light green color with white spots, I think I may have posted a pic in my thread of My decoys. It kinda looks like the one in Huey's pic on the right upper corner of the pic.

Just tried out my new red n white 10" bear creek northern last week, just to see if anything would come in, and ahh yeah 7 Nords in a half hour, 20fow and came up to 3ft it was insane!! biggest was around a 12lber 36-38", too bad the season was closed and all I was armed with was a camera phone frown it was one [PoorWordUsage] of a time tho!