• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Summerizing my power auger?

smeese

I always tell myself i'm gonna summerize my auger, but I never do. I have always just left the gas in it, and I have never had a problem yet. I know I shouldn't do that, but I do. It's 10 years old now and it still runs like a champ. I was thinking about draining the fuel this year, going through the carb, and changing the plug... I'm sure I'll just pull it out of garage again next November and go fishing though. That Strikemaster is just too good!

This works for me:

I mix a gallon of gas with a 50:1 mix of amsoil sabre, and a double strength of seafoam during fishing season. Thats it. I leave the carb full of treated fuel (seafoam/gas/oil) over the

off-season. Easy starts the next season. I run this mix in both of my power augers (strikemaster 2hp and Emak 2.5 Shark Eskimo).

(and my chainsaw and weedwhip)

I usually just put it on the shelf with gas/oil/seafoam in it. I pull it out every month and start it up, let it run for a little while, then put it back on the shelf.

thats what i would do. also if there is any grease or anything around the motor i would pressure wash it off, just keeps things looking nice. seafoam in the gas should pretty much take care of your summerizing. dont run it dry tho theres a chance then you will dry the diafram out.

I wash mine, add some stabil and seafoam, run for a short while, and make sure the tank is full. A friend of mine is a small engine mechanic and he said to always fill the tank so that you wouldn't get any condensation in the tank. I also run mine once a month during the summer. So far this has worked on all my small engines.

Originally Posted By: wishing for walleyes
I empty the tank and run it dry.Fresh gas next year.Never had a problem doing it this way.

Same here with no problems. I also remove the spark plug and squirt a little oil in the cylinder, then turn it over a couple of times to work it in.

I do both of these as well.

Last summer I stabilized, fogged and ran my carb dry. I'll never do that again. After over 100 pulls last fall, I finally got the thing to fire. This year I'll go back to stabilizing the gas and running it a few times over the summer. That method has always worked in the past for me.

For fuel stabilization, does anyone use Stabil?? Is the Sea Foam better for this application??

Thanks

i use sea foam. they both stabilize well but i found that stabil smokes more thats the only reason i dont use it. either way you should be good.

I have a jiffy stealth, and i have never even thought of adding anything to fuel or run er dry. i just leave the auger in the fish house till the next fall when i head out again. Always has started within 10 pulls. drills over 500 holes, easy, each winter!

I've always ran mine dry and havent had a problem, but it seems a majority are leaving gas/oil/seafoam in.

Never ran mind dry, always thought that the gas and stabil would keep any gaskets soft and prevent them from cracking.

If I was going to summerize my auger, it would be like this.

"Small engine on top of a screw like thing for cutting holes in ice."

Sorry, couldn't resist

Edit: wait that's summarize. my mistake.

now that's funny.

By the variety of opinions, I think I'll just make sure to clean my Jiffy, keep a 1/2 tank in it with some sea foam. If I'm ambitious enough this summer I really ought to pull the thing apart an do a thurough going over. It was given to me earlier this year and is pretty old. It has worked like a champ this year and has not let me down yet. I suppose the carb ought to be cleaned and all the other parts just inspected, lubed, tightened as needed.