Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
minnowdangler71

coyote hunting newbie

I am kind of a newbie when it comes to hunting Coyotes too. However, this winter i have called in a fair share of these sly creatures. My grandfather owns a sheep ranch in St. Croix Falls, Wi. He has a major problem with the coyotes killing his lambs. If you would be interested in traveling to Wisconsin. I would be happy to share my knowledge with you.

that depends on if you want a multi use gun that will double as a deer gun.

A 12 ga. combo will work if you use the Dead Coyote rounds in the bird barrell. Then you'll have the slug barrell for deer.

For rifles, I would recommend a 22-250, .223 or a .243 all of which will be legal in MN for deer in the rifle zone. Of the 3 I would ONLY recommend the .243 for deer.

This is just me, but what I would do is opt for a smaller caliber for the 'yotes. Something along the lines of the 22-250 or .223. Then if you deer hunt as well, you have another reason to buy another gun. That is if you have a wife like mine who doesn't understand much about the things we do grin

As far as ammo for the rifles, I usually shoot Hornady rounds or the Black Hills ammo in the blue box. Moly coated V-Max bullets will be the way to go.

I've shot them with ballistic tips and.....well......let's just say they make a bit of a mess.

Top the rifle off with a good quality scope. Nothing smaller than a 3x9-40.

If you are satisfied with one shot, look into some of the quality guns made from T/C. Either the Encore or the G2 Contender. You'll have a gun that you can put different barrells on. NEA and H&R are a couple others worth looking at.

If you want follow up shots, Savage, Tikka, Howa, Remington, Winchester and Browning all have quality guns in bolt actions.

If you want follow up shots but no bolt action, look into any of the AR style guns like DPMS, Bushmaster or I think Rock River is another. Each of these will have their own set of quirks. Some other members may chime in who aren't as ballistically challenged as I am.blush

I use a 25-06 That way it doubles as a deer rifle. Alot of my buddies that hunt use .17 HMR I personally wish i had a 17 however the bullets are not cheap. Drop me an e-mail minnowdangler71 at Luan3966@vcc.edu and we can set something up!

You can use a shotgun if you go out and hunt at night. I'm sure a 410 would get the job done but I wonder about your ability to get it on target past 50 yards. I've been told a 410 & slug is excellent for deer. Simply put if that's what you have give it a try and see what happens - nothing to lose.

Saw a young man took a nice 'yote over by Henderson in February under new snow in the latest issue of Outdoor News. I think I was out that weekend and not too far away. Congrats to him, I just need to go out a few more times next year and pay my dues.

On a side note, was in FF and came across some really nice G.I. surplus white Swedish army coveralls for like 25 bucks a set....hard to go wrong with those prices!

Your more then welcome to join me in the west metro. I use a .243 with 58gr. I love that combo personally I think the .17 is to small for yotes. A guy I work with had one and we called 2 in one night and he wounded both of them. Both were with in 75yds broadside.

I have a quick question about banging on some coyotes. Hopefully someone can help. I have never hunted coyotes, but I have noticed them alot lately around two pieces of public land. One is a WMA and the other is a waterfowl production area. Can these public lands be hunted on for coyotes during off seasons? I know that the coyotes can be hunted year round, I am just unsure of the public land portion of it. Thanks!

check the dnr HSOforum or the hunting regs, some wma's are closed at certain times of the year. I know a couple outside of PL that are closed right now until the last weekend in August

I have been thinking about getting into coyote hunting also. I am thinking about buying a .223 or a 22-250. Are ammo prices for the .223 still cheaper than for the 22-250? How much would I need to spend to get a decent setup with a scope? I would prefer to buy something new. Maybe I could wait until Cabelas has the spend 500 get 150 deal going again. My in-laws have land in ND and there are usually quite a few yotes running around. I figure it would be a good activity for me to get out of the house for a while when I am up there. wink

Hey Nate. That is a tough question to answer. The .223 is more common but the 22-250 has longer range. I bought a Savage 12VLP last year and like the gun. Stop by some time and look at it. We can talk guns if you want. Be good!!

Hey Waska!

How has the walleye fishing been? Do you do some coyote hunting around Starbuck? I definately need to stop by and say hi sometime. Make sure my dad stays out of trouble up there.

You won't believe this but my lifts are empty. We just got back from a 2 week trip to Disney. Took the grand daughter to Florida. It is now time to get ready for summer!!! Haven't wet a line. I used to do a lot of varmint hunting but gave it up many years ago. Just started to get back into shooting and reloading last year. I have a 223, 204, and a 6mmBR that I had built this winter. They have a 600 yard range in Elbow Lake so I am going to try some longer range shooting with it. The gun will do it but not sure I can blush