Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DRH1175

Eating tulibee

8 posts in this topic

I caught a bunch of nice tulibee the other day. I am going to smoke what I can fit in my smoker. How do they tast filleted out? I know I had some lake herring up at grand Marias a few time and they were great. According to google, tulibees, ciscos and freshwater herring are the same thing.

I tried it once and won't do it again. We fried them and they seemed really mushy and not tasty. We fried them after using the oil for crappies so maybe the oil to dirty from frying or the temp was hot enough. I would just enjoy them smoked.

HOT HOT oil and alot of seasoning and they taste ok but its just better to smoke or can them. The hot oil makes them firmer.

Does anyone pickle them? I just got back from winnie with 4 perch and a tulibee. No Walleyes though frown

Also does anyone bake these like catfish? You would think the oily meat would work well for this.

I have eaten Lk Superior herring and it was great from Pizza Luce in Duluth. I always heard that the inland ones were best smoked though.

Steve

The Tulibees from Vermilion are terrible tasting as far as I am concerned! VERY fishy smelling and taste just as bad , even smoked!

Cliff

Cliff, Do you know if inland tulibees are a different subspecies from the great lakes herring?

Steve