• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gulp alive waxies?

cbrooks

Handy little bait. Reds, white, and green are popular here. I partioned them into my contact lens jars and stuck them in a few tackle bags. Almost impossible to rig up the wrong way and they catch fish after fish without falling off.

I've had good luck with them too, chart and red, but only when the gills are active. Sometimes the real deal is hard to beat. I've also had luck tipping a jigging spoon with one combined with a shiner head on a different treble hook; adds color and scent. I also dip the whole jigging spoon/shiner head/gulp rig into the gulp jar to get that nasty smell all over the jig. It sometimes has made the difference...

I haven't used the waxies, but the maggots have been magic for me all year. Best $6 I ever spent. It's like buying live bait fresh all the time, but you just keep it in your pocket and never have to think about it.

I jsut bought the Gulp alive waxies in natural (white) and was looking for red but they didnt have them in red. I did find red in the regular gulp line, in a smaller container. What is the difference between plain gulp, and gulp Alive??

I have used live wax worms on occasion. I checked out the Gulp and they look good. I mostly just use small minnows.

What kind and size of hook or jig do you use for these small baits? Do you get good hook sets on the smaller jigs/hooks?

Thanks.

usually when the panfish are less aggressive i use smaller jigs, preferably a horizontal presentation with a sixe 12 or 14 jig with a heavy feel to it... if the fish are aggressive i'll usually go with even a jig size all the way up to a 6 for crappies, and for sunfish usually no bigger then a 10 size. or a tiny spoon with a size 12 or 14 trebble. good luck