Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbrooks

gulp alive waxies?

30 posts in this topic

Has anybody use the new gulp alive waxies? Are they any more productive than the real thing?

We use them alot for "gills" and crappies. One thing I really like about them is the fact that you can catch a number of fish on one maggot or waxie.

they stay on the hook a lot better and a believe you catch just as many fish with less baiting.

I agree with the two prior posts; they are just as effective and they stay on a long time. I've got 5 jars of the Gulp! waxies and maggots in different colors, so I should be good to go for the next ten years. Love the blood red!

they work when the fish have seen too much of the real thing.. the smell isn't the best but they work!! I use them in the summer too

I've also been on some lakes where the only way you'll catch a bigger bluegill is with the imitation!

Natural, Green/Chart, Pink and Red. Having them all is best. You never know what hte fish want.

I have yet to take a tub of "live" bait out with me on the water yet this year.

Red waxies are a favorite. Sometimes they want the t-bone cluster and other times it's just one threaded on a plain dropper hook.

Handy little bait. Reds, white, and green are popular here. I partioned them into my contact lens jars and stuck them in a few tackle bags. Almost impossible to rig up the wrong way and they catch fish after fish without falling off.

It sure doesn't hurt to have em with ya. I think they work just as good as the real thing, if not better sometimes!

This product is awesome on the pannies. The only color I have had any luck on is white. They don't make blood red in waxies just pink, chartreuse and white.

I've had good luck with them too, chart and red, but only when the gills are active. Sometimes the real deal is hard to beat. I've also had luck tipping a jigging spoon with one combined with a shiner head on a different treble hook; adds color and scent. I also dip the whole jigging spoon/shiner head/gulp rig into the gulp jar to get that nasty smell all over the jig. It sometimes has made the difference...

I make sure I always have a jar of em with me. Pink and white are my favorite colors. They work just as good if not better than real ones!

I haven't used the waxies, but the maggots have been magic for me all year. Best $6 I ever spent. It's like buying live bait fresh all the time, but you just keep it in your pocket and never have to think about it.

The gulp waxies and maggots work great...won't go fishing without 'em now

I jsut bought the Gulp alive waxies in natural (white) and was looking for red but they didnt have them in red. I did find red in the regular gulp line, in a smaller container. What is the difference between plain gulp, and gulp Alive??

NOPE -- DONT WORK AT ALL wink

WORD TO THE WISE -- KEEP THAT LID TIGHT -- ITS A GAWD AWFUL SMELL WHEN IT LEAKS madsick

Quote:
What is the difference between plain gulp, and gulp Alive??

Other than the price, I can't seem to find much difference in the two formulas.

won't go fishing with out em.. when waxies slow down.. gulp is the hot bait!!

I tried them up on Minnewaska and didnt catch a fish on them, but didnt catch many on real waxies either. the gulp alive jar seems to have alot more liquid than the regular gulp jar.

I have Powerbait Waxies, and i havent gotten to use them and i would like to ask if they are the same or is there a big difference

thanks!

I have used live wax worms on occasion. I checked out the Gulp and they look good. I mostly just use small minnows.

What kind and size of hook or jig do you use for these small baits? Do you get good hook sets on the smaller jigs/hooks?

Thanks.

usually when the panfish are less aggressive i use smaller jigs, preferably a horizontal presentation with a sixe 12 or 14 jig with a heavy feel to it... if the fish are aggressive i'll usually go with even a jig size all the way up to a 6 for crappies, and for sunfish usually no bigger then a 10 size. or a tiny spoon with a size 12 or 14 trebble. good luck