Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbrooks

gulp alive waxies?

30 posts in this topic

Has anybody use the new gulp alive waxies? Are they any more productive than the real thing?

We use them alot for "gills" and crappies. One thing I really like about them is the fact that you can catch a number of fish on one maggot or waxie.

they stay on the hook a lot better and a believe you catch just as many fish with less baiting.

I agree with the two prior posts; they are just as effective and they stay on a long time. I've got 5 jars of the Gulp! waxies and maggots in different colors, so I should be good to go for the next ten years. Love the blood red!

they work when the fish have seen too much of the real thing.. the smell isn't the best but they work!! I use them in the summer too

I've also been on some lakes where the only way you'll catch a bigger bluegill is with the imitation!

Natural, Green/Chart, Pink and Red. Having them all is best. You never know what hte fish want.

I have yet to take a tub of "live" bait out with me on the water yet this year.

Red waxies are a favorite. Sometimes they want the t-bone cluster and other times it's just one threaded on a plain dropper hook.

Handy little bait. Reds, white, and green are popular here. I partioned them into my contact lens jars and stuck them in a few tackle bags. Almost impossible to rig up the wrong way and they catch fish after fish without falling off.

It sure doesn't hurt to have em with ya. I think they work just as good as the real thing, if not better sometimes!

This product is awesome on the pannies. The only color I have had any luck on is white. They don't make blood red in waxies just pink, chartreuse and white.

I've had good luck with them too, chart and red, but only when the gills are active. Sometimes the real deal is hard to beat. I've also had luck tipping a jigging spoon with one combined with a shiner head on a different treble hook; adds color and scent. I also dip the whole jigging spoon/shiner head/gulp rig into the gulp jar to get that nasty smell all over the jig. It sometimes has made the difference...

I make sure I always have a jar of em with me. Pink and white are my favorite colors. They work just as good if not better than real ones!

I haven't used the waxies, but the maggots have been magic for me all year. Best $6 I ever spent. It's like buying live bait fresh all the time, but you just keep it in your pocket and never have to think about it.

I've used them and never had any luck with them.

~piker

The gulp waxies and maggots work great...won't go fishing without 'em now

I jsut bought the Gulp alive waxies in natural (white) and was looking for red but they didnt have them in red. I did find red in the regular gulp line, in a smaller container. What is the difference between plain gulp, and gulp Alive??

NOPE -- DONT WORK AT ALL wink

WORD TO THE WISE -- KEEP THAT LID TIGHT -- ITS A GAWD AWFUL SMELL WHEN IT LEAKS madsick

Quote:
What is the difference between plain gulp, and gulp Alive??

Other than the price, I can't seem to find much difference in the two formulas.

won't go fishing with out em.. when waxies slow down.. gulp is the hot bait!!

I tried them up on Minnewaska and didnt catch a fish on them, but didnt catch many on real waxies either. the gulp alive jar seems to have alot more liquid than the regular gulp jar.

I have Powerbait Waxies, and i havent gotten to use them and i would like to ask if they are the same or is there a big difference

thanks!

I have used live wax worms on occasion. I checked out the Gulp and they look good. I mostly just use small minnows.

What kind and size of hook or jig do you use for these small baits? Do you get good hook sets on the smaller jigs/hooks?

Thanks.

usually when the panfish are less aggressive i use smaller jigs, preferably a horizontal presentation with a sixe 12 or 14 jig with a heavy feel to it... if the fish are aggressive i'll usually go with even a jig size all the way up to a 6 for crappies, and for sunfish usually no bigger then a 10 size. or a tiny spoon with a size 12 or 14 trebble. good luck

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BEFORE BEGINNING

Before you begin, make sure you have a good strong battery and make sure it's charged up. If you have a bad or weak battery, you may want to replace it because if it doesn't crank good and strong, you are likely to get a low, inaccurate reading. Make sure your engine is warmed up to operating temperature(if possible). About 10 minutes of riding should do.

First, take out the spark plug and thread in the adapter for the compression tester. Make sure you have the correct size adapter for your particular ATV. Slide your kill switch to the "off" position. Some ATVs won't crank over with the kill switch in the "off" position, so if yours is like this, then you will need to either unhook your ignition coil or ground the end of the spark plug wire to a good ground. You can use a jumper wire with alligator clips on each end to ground it. Next, make sure the throttle is in the wide open position. You can either hold the throttle lever with your thumb or you may be able to tape it or use a zip tie to fasten it to your handlebars to hold it in the wide open position. If you don't have the throttle in the wide open position, you will probably get too low of a reading. Also, if you are testing a newly rebuilt engine, the engine needs to have been run for, at least, 30 or 40 minutes or you will probably get too low of a reading.

NOTE: Before you begin with the actual test, make sure the threaded adapter is screwed in good and isn't leaking any air out around it.

ACTUAL TESTING

With the throttle in the wide open position, push the start button and crank the engine over until the hand on the gauge stops moving. Each time the engine turns over the hand should raise a little more until it reaches the maximum compression of the engine. When it stops, that is your compression reading. This usually takes no more than 10 seconds. Try to avoid cranking an engine for more than 10 seconds at a time as this is hard on the starter and the battery. Now, push the relief valve on your compression gauge and that will reset the hand back to zero. It's a good ideal to repeat the test a couple or three times to make sure you get an accurate reading. On kick start models, it will be the same procedure, but obviously you will be kicking it over instead of using a start button. Worn piston rings and cylinder walls will increase the number of strokes it takes to reach the maximum reading. If you're kicking, it could possibly take as many as 10-20 kicks to get the highest reading.

THE READING

You will need to check your repair manual for your particular model for the correct compression specifications. See note below. Usually, an engine will run OK if it has at least 100 PSI of compression. Most engines will have somewhere between 100-250 and some as high as 300 PSI, depending on the engine. Sometimes they will run with under 100 PSI, but usually not very well. If you get a low reading, you can do a "wet test" to try to help determine the problem.

If your reading is too high, then you probably have carbon built up on your piston and combustion chamber.

NOTE: You may get a low reading on some engines because some engines have a decompressor assembly built into the camshaft. Check the service manual for your quad to see whether or not your quad has a decompressor assembly built into the cam.

WET TEST

If you got a low reading, pour about 1-2 teaspoons of clean motor oil down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and do the compression test again. If your reading increases, then your rings or cylinder walls are probably worn. If your reading doesn't increase, then it's probably your valves. You could have a bent valve, you may have leaky valve seats, or your valve clearance may not be adjusted properly. Also, low compression can be caused by a blown head gasket.

CAUSES OF LOW COMPRESSION

*Worn piston rings or worn or damaged cylinder walls
      *Leaking valves
      *Valve clearance not properly set
      *Blown head gasket

CAUSE OF HIGH COMPRESSION (stock engines)

*Carbon buildup in combustion chamber and on piston

NOTE: Compression testing is a good way to keep track or "gauge" the wear in your engine. When you first get your ATV or when you rebuild the engine in your ATV, you can do a compression test and then later on, you can do them periodically. This will help you determine the wear in your engine each time you do a compression test and will guide you in knowing when your engine needs rebuilding.

This is about all I can think of. I hope I didn't leave anything out and I hope this helps everyone with their compression tests.
    • As dumb as this sounds how is this done?
    • Try a compression check. And make sure the choke is opening all the way.
    • They are not the best out their but for the price and your average person not too bad I guess, Its going to send lead to where its pointed. This is probably what is going to happen he is going to buy a package shoot it for awhile then start upgrading everything to how he wants it and it is going to end up costing way more than if he just built one himself how he wants it.  
    • Hello, well I convinced my brother in-law to pick up my buddies old 1980 185 although pretty sure he said it was bored out to a 200? Here is the deal it's been sitting for a solid 8 years. I know it ran fine before. Not the delema-----   It starts right up (he bought a new carb odd amazon) although it sounds like a jet with high rpms. Looked at the throttle cable that's fine. Floats are fine. So he plugged this hole in the air filter and got it to idle down although when he hit the gas wouldn't get any power. Read a few things online and they tell you to just bypass the filter box and all that so back to amazon we went to get one of those filters that mount right up to the carb and it's still the same issue..   I just haven't seen anything like this? Do you guys have any thoughts or tricks that we/he could try?! Thanks in advance
    • Hi Everyone,  I'm looking into buying my first true fish finder and I'm a little perplex with the mapping card situation.  I'm looking at Humminbird Helix 5's and 7's.  I'm drawn to the autochart feature.  From my understanding, you can record 8 hours of charting onto the internal storage, but, is there any native mapping included on the unit or do I absolutely have to get some sort of mapping chip, zerolines or lake master, or navionics?  Can I store data on a blank SD card?  I've been researching this a lot and haven't found any conclusive answers. Thanks everyone!
    • Saul Good, Man.....  LOL 
    •   When do the not so rare Highjack birds show up?  Oh ah. 
  • Our Sponsors